Rock Solid Urates

Beardie name(s)
LJ
My beardie’s last two poops have been very strenuous for him. The Urate was rock solid. He’s currently being treated for an infection, so he just finished three rounds of injectable antibiotics from the vet. (although they told me this is not the cause of the hard Urates). I was giving him calcium with almost every meal and after the first poop, I cut back and have only been dusting feeders. I was thinking that could be the cause? However, yesterday again he had a solid Urate. He has a nice UVB light (Arcadia T5 Pro 12%) that he spends a LOT of time under - I don’t know if that has an impact? It’s nearest point is about nine inches and furthest, 12. I appreciate any input. Thanks guys.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Keep giving the calcium, antibiotics cause dehydration. Give him water , if he won't drink use an eyedropper to drip it on his snout. If he still won't drink you can add in a little none citrus fruit juice to give it flavor. If you use juice be sure to use a wet paper towel or wet wash cloth to wipe away any that runs down his chin. No need to take a chance on causing bacteria or fungus to start in their scales. Go at his pace and don't force it into his mouth. It could cause him to aspirate.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My beardie’s last two poops have been very strenuous for him. The Urate was rock solid. He’s currently being treated for an infection, so he just finished three rounds of injectable antibiotics from the vet. (although they told me this is not the cause of the hard Urates). I was giving him calcium with almost every meal and after the first poop, I cut back and have only been dusting feeders. I was thinking that could be the cause? However, yesterday again he had a solid Urate. He has a nice UVB light (Arcadia T5 Pro 12%) that he spends a LOT of time under - I don’t know if that has an impact? It’s nearest point is about nine inches and furthest, 12. I appreciate any input. Thanks guys.
What is the screen on the tank fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type- they will effect the calcium - hard urates is usually a dehydration issue

nocontextlizard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
LJ
Keep giving the calcium, antibiotics cause dehydration. Give him water , if he won't drink use an eyedropper to drip it on his snout. If he still won't drink you can add in a little none citrus fruit juice to give it flavor. If you use juice be sure to use a wet paper towel or wet wash cloth to wipe away any that runs down his chin. No need to take a chance on causing bacteria or fungus to start in their scales. Go at his pace and don't force it into his mouth. It could cause him to aspi
What is the screen on the tank fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type- they will effect the calcium - hard urates is usually a dehydration issue
There’s a glass door on the front of his enclosure and mesh holes on top. (But the UVB bulb is mounted inside of the enclosure) so there’s nothing in it’s way. I’m going to give him a little extra water this week with a dropper and maybe pick up some cucumber or watermelon tomorrow and see if that helps.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
There’s a glass door on the front of his enclosure and mesh holes on top. (But the UVB bulb is mounted inside of the enclosure) so there’s nothing in it’s way. I’m going to give him a little extra water this week with a dropper and maybe pick up some cucumber or watermelon tomorrow and see if that helps.
Those will hydrate him - what is the distance from the uvb to his basking decor piece? Is it directly over the basking decor

nocontextlizard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
LJ
Those will hydrate him - what is the distance from the uvb to his basking decor piece? Is it directly over the basking decor
Yes. He has a piece of decor under his UVB light where he reach its effects from like 7.5-8” inches away if he is standing up tall (9” if he’s laying down) and then in the areas it’s not under the decor piece, it’s farthest length is 12”!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes. He has a piece of decor under his UVB light where he reach its effects from like 7.5-8” inches away if he is standing up tall (9” if he’s laying down) and then in the areas it’s not under the decor piece, it’s farthest length is 12”!
Ok UVB is good ---- watch the urates after you start feeding the cucumber and watermelon - those are really of no nutritional value but those will hydrate him --- you may get some extra water coming out which is fine just means hes hydrated then- you can also rinse his greens before serving that too will hydrate him

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom