Roach Humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

mas4nep

How do I raise the humidity for my dubia's it is around 42%. I have the water crystals in the tote, food , egg crates, etc. I would appreciate the help.

Theroachguy

Juvie Member
mas4nep":2c7c6 said:
How do I raise the humidity for my dubia's it is around 42%. I have the water crystals in the tote, food , egg crates, etc. I would appreciate the help.
do you have heat under the tote or a light from above? how big is the ventilation hole on the lid of the tote? it should be no large then 10x10 anything large you'll have the humidity go straight threw the top. how big of a dish of water crystals do you have in if its just a tiny amount you may want to put a larger dish inside.
hope this helps
Jason

mas4nep

Original Poster
Thank you Jason for answering me, I have a 35 gallon tote with a heating pad under the crate side on and it gets between 88-92 degrees. I just got your starter kit last week. I put the screen in the top which came out to 8.5 x 8.5 and I have a 3" round lid with water crystals in it. Everything seems to be going well. I have lost about 4 roachs in a week 1-1.5" and 3-1/4" roaches, I don't know why but I have had alot of sheds.

Theroachguy

Juvie Member
well id you have had a lot of shed then that's a good sign this means that everything is working. one more thing you are sure the ones that have died are dead ones and not maybe left over molts. i have a ton of people thing that the empty skins are dead roaches. if you are sure they are not skins then it could just be from the stress from shipping. 4 out of 200 is not a bad ratio but if you start to notice having large kill offs then i would worry.

BestRoach

Hatchling Member
42% is fine for dubia, and it provides a decent safety margin. Dubia are very tolerant of dry conditions, much more than other tropical species. I would try to keep it above 30%....so don't stress about your current setup.

mas4nep

Original Poster
Awesome guys I appreciate the info the best. I am sure the four dead are not sheds and I am pretty sure it probably was from shipping shock. The large one was not moving real good day one and the three small ones I don't know but everyone else is doing good with lots of fresh sheds. No dead lately. They love baby rice dry cereal with mixed fruit. I put in a larger lid with water crystals also. Thank you both for the info.

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
I just posted this on another thread, but I notice significant increase in molting/growth/breeding when the humidity is higher. I am struggling to keep my humidity above 30% right now because it is so cold and dry. My Dubia are in the garage so I have tested using a humidifier. It really worked.

I had a problem with humidity as well, my basement is very dry due to the open concept I solved my dubia problem by gluing a cheap aluminim bread tin to the top edge of the tote (top so the dubia can't climb into it) and keep vermiculite in it and fill it with water daily. It keeps my tote up around 70 rh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom