Roach Allergy Asthma Common

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
I agree that probably a lot of people have some form of allergy to roaches but that's no different than the amount of people allergic to cats, dogs, birds and other animals that can produce dander, dust etc.

As for disease, again, anything can carry disease. Turtles or lizards can carry salmonella. Even chicken can carry salmonella and pork can be deadly if eaten not fully cooked. Hell, pigeons can carry all kinds of diseases in their poop are their poop dried is very dangerous. They have companies out there who specialize in only cleaning pigeon poop from businesses and I watched a show on it and those guys have to wear full bottom suits with masks to work. I bet my dubia colony is cleaner than half the dogs and cats that are allowed to run outside everyday.

So while I agree, it is very good to educate people on the POSSIBLE dangers involved in allergens, it is a little overblown to chastise dubias.

JeffFisher

Original Poster
I agree there are many, many, many things anyone can be allergic to.
But when the reports are 30%-60% of the population is allergic to roaches (mites, body parts, feces) it seems higher than anything else than I can recall. Most people that have roaches in their homes don't invite them in. Which people with herps do...seems kind of unsafe, unsanitary, and a bit risky. Yes, I know cats, dogs, reptiles, spiders, mice, rats, people, ebola...are all potentially dangerous but maybe only ebola is more dangerous than the roaches.
Dont quote me on that, maybe roaches are worse...I havent studied that enough to know.
Heck, my ex was allergic to nuts....that really sucked!!!
Im just allergic to nutcases, thats why shes an ex :)
On a side note....I got a 3am baby call. Someones dragon was laying eggs. Thankfully I had finished building two incubators today. One was for my gila and beaded eggs. The other was for a friend.
I guess it was good timing....except for the 3am part.
Right now I have
2.2 Heloderma suspectum suspectum
1.2 Heloderma horridum horridum
1.1 Heloderma suspectum cinctum coming soon.
They all are being cycled for breeding.
Maybe lots of venomous mouths to feed soon.
Yes, they are more dangerous than roaches..only if they bite though. Im pretty sure I would be allergic to that :)

MamaTater

Hatchling Member
Begging pardons for my mere 20 mos. experience in this dragon gig but is there not a massive difference between having an infestation of cockroaches running all over one's house (even crawling on one's person as they sleep perhaps, totally probable) pooping/shedding everywhere...and a relatively small (medium or large, for that matter) colony in a contained and controlled environment?
I thought something along those lines had been brought up already but perhaps it needs more attention drawn to such a major factor.

Think about it. In your food, clothes, bathroom, bed, your furniture, shoes, etc.
vs.
A box. Granted there's a vent hole, but really...is the difference not obvious?

jarich

Juvie Member
MamaTater":3fzmhta3 said:
Ohhh, Jarich...were that I could be a fly upon your wall. :lol:

Hahahaha be careful what you wish for! :lol:

As for this discussion, I dont know that Id bother trying to bring common sense into it. Apparently, breeding roaches is so dangerous that a BSL-4 disease might not even be as bad. :banghead:

MamaTater

Hatchling Member
Yes. Just as soon as I posted that last bit I realized what's really going on here. I'll take my leave on this particular topic. :) Futility exercises not being my forte.

JeffFisher

Original Poster
Jarrich....the ebola issue was a joke. You and I (and everyone else) already knows that.
Give a guy an excuse....good grief....

Now, I submit.
Forget this thread, let it die a horrible asthmatic hypoxic death already

Look maybe I worded my original post in a way that you all find extreme....

Maybe you totally disagree with me....

Maybe you have a personal grudge for whatever reason...

Maybe your feel I am totally "irresponsible" for ever having bred dragons and its partly my fault for "flooding the market" so people can abuse them.

Yes, that was a seriously crazy accusation that was made recently by someone on this list that has some VERY serious thinking error problems.

I have no desire to EVER have animals mistreated. That is a twisted way of thinking...totally crazy...

I haven't even bred dragons in 15 years. I wont ever again, my interests have changed to a different genus and species.

I write a post about roaches and it turns into something ridiculously horrible.

I posted on something I have concerns about.
I do have concerns for people on this list...even if you totally disagree with me.
I provided links for people to read.
Most of you totally disagree with me and the medical/scientific information I provided.
That is fine, but my concerns for everyone here were, and still are valid.

So get it out of your systems and move along please.

This is my very last post on this thread. I am totally done with it.....

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
[This thread has gotten out of hand and it's obvious that it is going nowhere so it is being locked. A reminder, rudeness and unfriendly sarcasm is NOT allowed on this forum and will not be tolerated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom