Risk of Salmonella?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how high *really* is the risk of getting salmonella from your beardie? I'm either going to freak out even more or realize that I'm worrying way too much.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Hey,

I had dragons for 10 years and never once got salmonella from them. You have more chance from food like an egg or something. You can just wash your hands after handling your beardie well you should anyway LOL good hygiene will keep you healthy. You'll be fine enjoy your friend!

DragonWayOutWest

Original Poster
THANK YOU for your reply!!! I'm a bit of a germaphobe so I know we are uber careful anyway....but this is a definite worry of mine!

Vodevil

I agree with Blue.
The risk of getting Salmonella from handling a beardie is similar to the risk of getting an ecoli infection from swimming in a lake, getting struck by lightning, getting toxic shock syndrome from using a tampon, or having a fatal reaction to a medication.... The chances of it happening are EXTREMELY low and rare but since it is still a possibility it has to be mentioned and documented.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Here's some info from the CDC. One thing to remember, [ and it's brought out in this article ] is that many healthy reptile owners can get salmonella but think it's the stomach virus. It's actually more common than some people may think. It's much more dangerous for children, the elderly and people with weak immune systems.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwie1rOm76XKAhWCOxQKHVUeA7MQFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.anapsid.org%2Fmirmen.html&usg=AFQjCNG-HrJA8zsf_F6atP8sbuui-D3WaQ&sig2=11xznlUD73_t7oLxetbdsg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Just wash your hands after handling them and before touching any finger food and avoid kissing them and you'll be fine.

If they are kept in a clean enclosure the risk is low.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! Do you have a dragon? Feel free to start a thread in the introductions forum and post some photos if you'd like =)

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
If you are afraid of getting salmonella take these precautions. Use disposable gloves for cleaning, safety glasses to avoid splashes in your eyes while cleaning, have designated clothing for cleaning that you change out of after cleaning, use a good disinfectant, don't let lizard free roam, have designated holding areas, never bathe lizard in kitchen sink, clean up poo as soon as possible, keep up with spot cleaning and thorough cleaning of enclosure. Just some ideas. Also cover any open cuts on your hands when handling lizard and always wash hands good including under your nails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom