Is it appropriate for baby to move into adult tank?

RachelG

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Frank Ocean
On October 2nd we lost our beloved 9 year old beardie Lenny. It's been awful, but that's in another post. Yesterday we welcomed baby beardie Frank. Frank came home in what was Lenny's carseat/travel tank, a 20 gal that can be strapped in for travel. The idea was that a new baby would move into the custom lizard mansion I'd built for Lenny... but I am having second thoughts. 😬 I'm not sure if it's because the adult tank IS too big or otherwise unsuitable, or if I'm just in my head about it being Lenny's tank.

Of course, the travel tank, viv and all its contents have been washed, scrubbed, steam sanitized and f10 fogged (x2), so disease transmission is not a concern. I made a few adjustments to the lights (a little lower, so Frank could bask in a hotter spot) and I removed a decorative plant because I worried he'd eat it. The temps on the basking side have surfaces from 97-111 degrees, middle temps are 90-83, and the lowest temp on the cool side is 81. The hammocks are sewn on each time they're washed, and are not at risk of falling or becoming detached from their anchor points. All that said... Is the highest platform too high for a baby? Are the hammocks going to snag him? Are the hides too big and not cozy enough? Basically, can Frank move in?

Please weigh in with any thoughts or suggestions! I promise I'll take everything in a constructive manner!

Attachments

• 20231126_190719.jpg
    20231126_190719.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20231126_191503.jpg
    20231126_191503.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 20231126_191255.jpg
    20231126_191255.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 42
  • 20231126_191221.jpg
    20231126_191221.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20231126_191205.jpg
    20231126_191205.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20231126_191032.jpg
    20231126_191032.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 40
  • 20231126_191042.jpg
    20231126_191042.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20231126_191146.jpg
    20231126_191146.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 36

RachelG

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frank Ocean
Here's Frank's current situation, awaiting the verdict. Will he or won't he get the house?

Attachments

• 20231126_174614.jpg
    20231126_174614.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 45

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Here's Frank's current situation, awaiting the verdict. Will he or won't he get the house?
Is the bulb your using a mvb? I would leave him in the 20 gallon for now and move him when he's about 5 months- it's gonna be easier to care for him in the 20 gallon for now-- make sure your surface basking temps are 105-110 and the mvb is fine for the 20 gallon you may want to unobstruct the bulb and take the screen off so he's getting full uvb

RachelG

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frank Ocean
Is the bulb your using a mvb? I would leave him in the 20 gallon for now and move him when he's about 5 months- it's gonna be easier to care for him in the 20 gallon for now-- make sure your surface basking temps are 105-110 and the mvb is fine for the 20 gallon you may want to unobstruct the bulb and take the screen off so he's getting full uvb
Thank you! Yes they are MVBs. He does not have a screen on the 20 gal.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't think the 20 gal. is big enough and it will be very hard to get a heat gradient with the MVB. If it was a 40 it would be O.K but that's not suitable. Actually it looks like a 10 gallon. Karrie maybe didn't see how big he is already, almost half the length of that little tank, I'd send him to the luxurious mansion! 👍🏠

BTW how's he eating ?

Last edited:

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Agreed 100%, the bigger tank looks more appropriate.
I've seen people build different kinds of barriers to cut of parts of the tank until the dragon is bigger. Maybe that could work for your situation...

RachelG

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frank Ocean
Yeah, I thought so as well... I was having to turn the clamp light on and off because that bulb I was using is actually a spare for the big tank, too big for the travel tank. Plus, as you said, he didnt really have a big area to hop around in.
20231126_200241.jpg

Frank moved into the big tank last night, but I did put down some crash pads (a dishmat and hand towels) in case he fell or jumped. He was so inquisitive, but finally aettled in the warm hammock.
20231127_073355.jpg

As for his appetite, he is a hungry boy! I use dubia, greens, squash and bell peppers as my main staples, and he's certainly not complaining. He pooped hugely (on me) on Saturday, and he pooped also on Sunday. The poops look great to me, but of course he will meet the vet soon anyway. I do know he was previously given crickets primarily but I don't breed crickets, the reptile shop he came from was out, I didn't want to get them from petsmart, and the other reptile/feeder shops were closed late Saturday and yesterday. I'll probably grab some today. I also offered a little dish of water, but unsurprisingly, he was not interested. I offered the baby dropper setup that Lenny used to drink exclusively from, and Frank drank and drank! I don't know yet if I'll keep trying to entice him into drinking from a dish, or if I'll just assume that I'll be bottle feeding a lizard as long as I live, haha. My husband says it's lucky lizards don't need to nurse because I'd do that too. To that I say "Look at this face...who wouldnt?!"
20231127_094115.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He has quite the personality ! You got a good one, he's comfortable and bold, seemingly unafraid and eating well yet calm enough to handle. Good idea putting the soft cloths down to soften a potential fall and drinking from a syringe/small spray bottle is what all my beardies have done.
You might want to hold off on a vet visit , right now his appetite is good and he's getting used to a new home. If a vet finds even a small amount of parasites they might start him on meds. that can put him off his food and cause some stress just as he's settling in. So I'd wait at least a month or 2 if you feel comfortable doing that.

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
Yeah, I thought so as well... I was having to turn the clamp light on and off because that bulb I was using is actually a spare for the big tank, too big for the travel tank. Plus, as you said, he didnt really have a big area to hop around in.
View attachment 85573

Frank moved into the big tank last night, but I did put down some crash pads (a dishmat and hand towels) in case he fell or jumped. He was so inquisitive, but finally aettled in the warm hammock. View attachment 85575
As for his appetite, he is a hungry boy! I use dubia, greens, squash and bell peppers as my main staples, and he's certainly not complaining. He pooped hugely (on me) on Saturday, and he pooped also on Sunday. The poops look great to me, but of course he will meet the vet soon anyway. I do know he was previously given crickets primarily but I don't breed crickets, the reptile shop he came from was out, I didn't want to get them from petsmart, and the other reptile/feeder shops were closed late Saturday and yesterday. I'll probably grab some today. I also offered a little dish of water, but unsurprisingly, he was not interested. I offered the baby dropper setup that Lenny used to drink exclusively from, and Frank drank and drank! I don't know yet if I'll keep trying to entice him into drinking from a dish, or if I'll just assume that I'll be bottle feeding a lizard as long as I live, haha. My husband says it's lucky lizards don't need to nurse because I'd do that too. To that I say "Look at this face...who wouldnt?!" View attachment 85577
I can’t tell if you do or don’t, but for the hammocks to make them a little safer, you can put them on command hooks to make sure they don’t fall. The string that comes with them aren’t that strong.

RachelG

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frank Ocean
The
I can’t tell if you do or don’t, but for the hammocks to make them a little safer, you can put them on command hooks to make sure they don’t fall. The string that comes with them aren’t that strong.
Thank you! I use eyelet screws and I sew the hammocks onto them (and the platform) each time I wash with hemp thread and a darning needle. My dear departed Lenny was a hefty boy, so I learned long ago he needed industrial grade support, haha.

RachelG

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frank Ocean
He has quite the personality ! You got a good one, he's comfortable and bold, seemingly unafraid and eating well yet calm enough to handle. Good idea putting the soft cloths down to soften a potential fall and drinking from a syringe/small spray bottle is what all my beardies have done.
You might want to hold off on a vet visit , right now his appetite is good and he's getting used to a new home. If a vet finds even a small amount of parasites they might start him on meds. that can put him off his food and cause some stress just as he's settling in. So I'd wait at least a month or 2 if you feel comfortable doing that.
He IS such a sweetheart already! One thing I noticed though, he doesn't flinch when we reach for him or feed him or anything (he already knows to approach The Hand, haha) but he does seem to be easily startled by noises. He hasn't been subjected to any loud bangs or crashes or anything, but he was startled from across the room by the sink sprayer turning on, by a text beep, by the icemaker. I'm hoping he's just getting used to his new home, but I'm kinda tiptoeing around him.

I'm glad to hear you suggest waiting on the vet. We usually take the animals in January/February, after all the holiday travel/festivities have passed and I'd like to stay on that schedule. Also, as you know, I didn't have a nice time the last couple times I was there... I think a little more time might help ease the ptsd. Until then, I think he looks just peachy ❤️

Attachments

• 20231127_143708.jpg
    20231127_143708.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 22

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
He looks soo sweet, almost makes me want to get an other baby myself ;)
Also don't be scared if he starts with the relocation stress signs in a few days time, they often act fine for some days before doing that.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom