RIP Loiosh, Sept 7/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Oh geez, I'm so sorry to hear that
smiley3678.gif
After seeing your last update of how she sat up by herself and such, I had hoped that she was on the road to recovery.

Deb, you did the best you could. The move and living in a new home was probably too much for Loiosh to deal with emotionally, which in turn affected her physical health.
Sorry you had to break the news to Nicole. I hope she understood the progression of Loiosh's failing health.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Deb,

I am so sorry to hear about Loiosh. :cry: Man, that is rough! I know that had to be very difficult on Nicole being overseas, also.
I believe it was something she had for awhile & it just was not caught. The thyroid hormone, calcitonin dysfunction is a huge possibility as to why she was not absorbing her calcium properly. Calcitonin is responsible for calcium being released so if that was not checked, then it is hard to know whether or not that was the case. Calcitonin has to be used with care so as not to cause renal failure or heart failure by decreasing the blood calcium serum levels too quickly. Did you ever get a blood test done on her, or was there just not any time?
I am sorry you never figured out what happened. It is not your fault, Deb.

Tracie

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I posted in your other thread Deb but thought I would here too. So terrible sorry to hear about Loiosh. I too was hopeful when I heard that she was sitting up with her head high. She must have been ill for a long time, poor girl. That must have been hard news for you to have to break to Nicole, I'm sure she knew that you tried all that you could to help her improve. {{{hugs}}}
RIP Loiosh

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
The worst part was telling her owner Nicole about Loiosh, as Nicole is in Japan & so far away. Loiosh is buried beside our dragons that we lost earlier this year & we'll be planting a fern on her grave at Nicole's request. She sure fought hard, but she was already ill when we got her, we just didn't know how ill. She's at rest now, poor girl, she put up such a fight.

Thanks, everyone, for your empathy and thoughtfullness, it means alot to me.

Deb

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
sorry to hear about your loss? Is she the dragon with MBD you told me about in a PM or is she a different one? Never easy to lose a pet. We had to put our 7 1/2 yr old guinea pig to sleep yesterday
At least loishia (sp?) made it 6 yrs!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Munchkins,
I'm sorry to hear about your ginea pig, I had no idea they lived so long, which is your good care. :D

Loiosh belongs to Nicole, a member here, who had gone to Japan for a year. She also has Didi, who's a small 5 yr old male. Loiosh got sick about a week after she came to our home on July 1. We thought it was relocation stress, as we had to change her viv, the original was too big to fit into our small apartment (we agreed to foster them before we knew we had to move, we promised to foster Nicole's beardies for a year while she went to Japan). We never expected to have any issues with Loiosh, having just met her, but I knew there was something wrong. When she started the spasms I took her to our vet, who told us she had low calcium in her blood. Loiosh & I fought the spasms for 3 weeks, went to the vet twice, but she was too sick and died last Monday am.

Angel was a rescue that we took in in March/09. She was 16 mo old but had never had any UVB. She was in a 75 gal tank with a log and a food dish, on sand that stunk. We managed, with alot of help from this site, to get her walking, then running and being a normal beardie. She lived until Feb 10, but she had a great year. She had renal issues that we weren't aware of, poor thing, all related to her severe MBD.

So now we have 5 dragons, 4 of ours-Lonzo 7 yrs, Sweetie 4 yrs, Leo, 3 yrs and Rubio 2 yrs. Then Didi is Nicole's. He's been a joy to have, he leaps everywhere he goes. :mrgreen:

Loiosh took us by surprise, we never expected that she was ill, nor did Nicole, but beardies hide illnesses and only show them when they're really sick. Even though we've had 4 years looking after beardies, it's still difficult to know if they're ill, even though we're getting better @ catching things before the escalate.

Boy, I'm long winded on the subject,
Deb

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Just to let you all know: I saw Nicole's post on Loiosh this morning before work and I read it all. It was wonderful to read but, of course, the last paragraph was really sad, making one cry. The whole post was Nicole telling us about Loiosh's life. She has some wonderful memories of a terriffic beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nohupics
Top Bottom