RIP Jojo <3 *8/23/06~6/29/10*

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes Vicky, I even shared the buried egg shells with her too. It's a good thing you uncovered and found them or you'd still be wondering. She's fully recovered now, right?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
diamc":1ecac said:
Yes Vicky, I even shared the buried egg shells with her too. It's a good thing you uncovered and found them or you'd still be wondering. She's fully recovered now, right?
Oh yes she is fully recovered and is now a big fat eating machine again...lol.See Michelle there really is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Michele,

It looks like you got everything all answered.
I can't elaborate much on that article as that was pretty much what I was going to review. Though one thing is I think that she already has eggs, as it is very difficult to see follicles on an x-ray because the follicles are soft & not hard or white. If they are that visible by x-ray they are most likely already shelled or being dropped into the oviducts already. Do you have a picture of the x-ray?
Follicles are normally viewed by ultrasound because they are soft tissue.
They have ovaries but the ovaries do not always have follicles developing on them, no. Some females never develop follicles while others do. There really is no explanation for it, genetics most likely play a role or the surroundings.
I have known one person on this forum who is not around right now, who had a 9 month old female who had developing follicles. She was lethargic, & not eating. Her body reabsorbed them, & she basically had to monitor her for a couple of weeks after that because her body reabsorbed so many follicles that her protein & cholesterol went pretty high but then, lowered after awhile.
So, only time will tell whether or not she will lay or reabsorb. However, it is highly unlikely that she will reabsorb them if they are already shelled. I wish I knew if they had dropped or not that would help.

Tracie

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
diamc":9effe said:
The behavior that both of you explained about both your females, was so completely identical that I could hardly believe it. I know it was perplexing for both of you and each time, I didn't want to mention eggs but deep down you both knew anyway, even though I didn't come right out and say it at first. I'm really surprised that my Sabrina has never shown any signs and hopefully she is too old now at almost 5 yrs old, I can hope anyway. :silent: Gee, maybe I won't get another female after all, I know how hard it was on both of you.

I'm glad the information was helpful, I think we all learned a few more things about the female beardie reproductive system. 8)

Michele, did the vet recommend pushing the protein as well as increasing her calcium intake?
No,the vet didnt say anything about pushing protein or calcium. She said not to forcefeed her but to "encourage"her to eat.She even wanted to treat her for coccidia when there was no fecal done! :roll:
I said "no way".

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
vickson420":247c0 said:
Hey Michelle,
Yes the follicles do appear like eggs and if they are that large then I would bet that she will be laying eggs soon.It is a bit suprising that she just now started being she is already 3 years old but as Diane so gracefully pointed out :wink: the climate change could have triggered it.I know you are pulling your hair out right now and I hope you go along smoother then I did with my last go around with Phoenix.I got a bunch of gray hairs from that not to mention she ate the eggs or at least most of them so I was quite perplexed for quite some time wondering where all the eggs went.

Diane
Great Info!I definately couldnt have explained it as clearly :mrgreen:
Omg,I hope she doesnt eat them :shock:
Speaking of eating....after work I made up a superworm slurry with some green beans and calcium mixed in and she ate it all up :D
I came home to such a mess!!! I had left the laybox in her cage for her today and she kicked sand all over the place,in her salad,all over her moo-moo cow and in the crevices of the wood base.I checked the soil for eggs but didnt find any.
So how long should it take her to lay?

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Drache613":5fa76 said:
Hello Michele,

It looks like you got everything all answered.
I can't elaborate much on that article as that was pretty much what I was going to review. Though one thing is I think that she already has eggs, as it is very difficult to see follicles on an x-ray because the follicles are soft & not hard or white. If they are that visible by x-ray they are most likely already shelled or being dropped into the oviducts already. Do you have a picture of the x-ray?
Follicles are normally viewed by ultrasound because they are soft tissue.
They have ovaries but the ovaries do not always have follicles developing on them, no. Some females never develop follicles while others do. There really is no explanation for it, genetics most likely play a role or the surroundings.
I have known one person on this forum who is not around right now, who had a 9 month old female who had developing follicles. She was lethargic, & not eating. Her body reabsorbed them, & she basically had to monitor her for a couple of weeks after that because her body reabsorbed so many follicles that her protein & cholesterol went pretty high but then, lowered after awhile.
So, only time will tell whether or not she will lay or reabsorb. However, it is highly unlikely that she will reabsorb them if they are already shelled. I wish I knew if they had dropped or not that would help.

Tracie
Thank you Tracie :D The vet said that the eggs werent shelled yet and if she doesnt lay or go back to acting normal within a couple weeks I should bring her in for another x-ray.
.Sorry I dont have the x-ray. I asked them if they could email it to me and they said that they dont have the digital capabilities :|
Oh and thanks for the answer to my question about if all beardies develop follicles.
Im gonna PM the link to Jojo's webcam to you and Vicky(Diane already has it) so you can observe her behavior during the morning and afternoon if you get a chance :D She is pretending to be tuckered out right now but I dont believe her,I think she is just "recharging" :lol:

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hey MichelleThanks for the link to the webcam although I am guessing you have it off right now.Maybe you can get a hard copy of the xray and scan it yourself?Not sure if thats possible for you.I have to agree wit Tracie though that follicles would be a very hard thing to read on an xray so chances are good she is holding eggs.If that is the case then you dont have to much farther to go before she drops them.Normal gestation is around 21 days but that would be from start to end so I am guessing she probably has a week tops.Generally you will know she is ready when she is digging like a beast anyway.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Michele,

How is the little princess today? Still recharging from all of her tearing around her tank?
Yeah I didn't think that it sounded like they were shelled yet, so, they have not dropped yet either. If she is going to lay them, then it should be pretty soon then hopefully one way or another.
Just make sure she gets plenty of calcium, & you can spoil her more if you want to also! I am sure you will, if that is even possible. :lol:
Is she eating?
Great I will see if I can get the webcam figured out! :blob5:

Talk soon.
Tracie

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Vicky,
last year I had x-rays done on her lungs and I got a copy of it on CD and for some reason I couldnt get it to work.Im a computer dummy :oops: In fact I think I mailed the disc to Tracie and she uploaded it and emailed it to me! :lol:

Am I right Tracie? :mrgreen:

She has refused live feeders and salad for the past 10 days but the last 3 nights she has eaten superworm slurry and loved it.
I cut the heads off 3 supers,squeeze out the guts,mix it up with veggie babyfood,heat it up for a few seconds and then add some calcium to it. The other night I even put some benebac in there.

I weighed her again tonight and she is down to 626,thats 40 grams she has lost in less than 2 weeks!

She was much calmer today but she did go in and out of her lay box a couple times. She seemed very alert and curious.When I gave her a bath she pooped a little urate and then afterwards she ran around on the floor for awhile.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Michele, I was just checking in on a "Jojo update." That's good that she's calmed down a little. Great that she is enjoying the slurry soup. I'm surprised you're able to cut off the super heads and squeeze the guts out. I know, anything for your girl. :love5: It's also good that she is checking out the lay box from time to time. How long since she's passed anything besides just urates?

I can't believe that the other vet wanted to treat her for coccidia when a fecal wasn't even done. :eek: She sure doesn't need to be on antibiotics unnecessarily which you and I know causes her all sorts of other problems when under antibiotic treatment.

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Hmmm,I just checked the calender(I write everything down :lol: ) and the last time she actually passed poop and not just urate was last Thursday. Im expecting her to have poop again soon though because she ate slurry the past 3 nights.
Yeah,there was no way I was gonna put her on medicine without even a fecal being done. Anyways we both know that coccidia is normal in Jojo,the two of them get along just fine :lol: :lol:

oops! Tracie I forgot to tell you...I dont think I could possibly spoil Jojo anymore than I do :mrgreen:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes Michele, I KNOW you write everything down, that's good, then you don't have to try to figure things out in your head. :wink: You don't suppose she's using the lay box as a litter box do you? I know how she hates to poop on the bottom of her tank.

I agree that there's NO WAY that you could spoil her any more than you already do, she's your cuddle muffin. :p

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
diamc":3f906 said:
Yes Michele, I KNOW you write everything down, that's good, then you don't have to try to figure things out in your head. :wink: You don't suppose she's using the lay box as a litter box do you? I know how she hates to poop on the bottom of her tank.

I agree that there's NO WAY that you could spoil her any more than you already do, she's your cuddle muffin. :p
I sure hope she isnt doing that :shock: but I do check the box really good when I get home and I even sift through it while misting it to get it wet again.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, maybe she isn't then, I just know how much alike our girls are and I think Sabrina would be apt to do that. :silent: Does her belly look any fuller due to the eggs developing and dropping lower or is it hard to tell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom