Rest In Peace Oscar

Status
Not open for further replies.

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Pauline, Amanda, Kaleen, Brandon, Lisa, Irwinshealth and Shanny! I appreciate your <3 and support!

Where does the time go!?!?! I just spent 2 hours reading other people's threads that I didn't even update Oscar's ! I'm exhausted and will get some new pictures up tomorrow! Blood work results aren't back yet (I even called at 7:45 - they close at 8 pm) - hopefully tomorrow I'll hear something.

Actually... before I go - Has anyone ever had a dragon throw up? Oscar sort of did tonight - I put the anti-bacterial cream (silver sulfadiazine) on his gums and he obviously didn't like the taste and was making faces at me and spit up a little bit - it was only liquid - brownish in color. I probably used more than I did yesterday as I was being conservative yesterday for the first time using it. Today I wanted to make sure I got all areas- perhaps I overdid it? He then majorally puffed his beard and opened his mouth REALLY wide a couple times like he was saying "ICK" - I gave him apple juice to help wash it down though. So hopefully that helped...

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Hi Lesley,

Oscar has made so much progress... I hope his walking will improve. My guess on that is MBD maybe? If he was neglected for that long, it may be irreparable damage. I'm sure he's happy to be feeling so much better than he was when you found him!! As far as the throwing up, my dragons have never done that however, I have seen posts by others regarding pneumonia & RI's that have had that happen. You did mention open mouth breathing at one point, right? It could also be drainage from the mouth problem too. Just some thoughts for you. Sending hugs & well wishes to you and Oscar!

Hugs,

Sue

HappiDragon

Hatchling Member
What a wonderful thing your doing for this beautiful boy, I teared up when I watched the vids of him walking around. Keep up the fantastic work :)

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Happidragon and Sue

Sue - the DOC said no on MBD - his x-rays looked good - I'm thinking it might be that he has lost so much muscle mass - who knows though? - might be permanent like you mentioned - time shall tell I guess.

So I bought "shed-ease" for both Oscar and Ernie - used it for the first time today with Oscar - (he has a ton of shed issues) - anyway was brushing him after his bath and one of his pores literally just came out -it's just a concave hole - I'm wondering if I should do anything....

Left a message at the vet's office when it happened a couple hours ago - haven't heard back yet - I have an "antibacterial" cream that the vet gave me for his gums - I'm wondering if she'll tell me to use that on it...

Oh Oscar... givin mama more grays

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Szu....your'e doing a great job with a sick boy ! I hope for the best recovery possible ! Ijust wanted to chime in about your comment of how he opens his mouth when eating, like he;s gasping for air. I think probably he must be doing it because of the inflammation in his gums. Probably just a bit painful [ poor guy ! ] when he eats. But that's so good that he's eating on his own. Be careful with the superworms, even big healthy dragons sometimes eat a bunch and then throw up because they scarf them down so fast. But if he can keep 12 down in his condition, he's a prety tough dude ! One other thing I'd like to mention.... raw honey has been used to fight gum disease. If you Google it [ raw honey for gum disease] you'll see the reasons why it's recommended by some. It produces hydrogen peroxide to kill certain microbes. Also, I'm sure it would be much more pleasant than the cream you tried. If you get some, it must be UNpasteurized. There's a differnce from regular honey, and it's a strong anti bacterial/ antibiotic that can be used on any wound, even eye infections.

HappiDragon

Hatchling Member
Ah yes, the wonderful healing powers of raw honey! AHBD is totally right! I use it all the time for ourselves and the horses for major and minor cuts and scrapes. I've seen it heal wounds cut to the bone on horses where there was almost no scar at all :shock: On a lower leg to boot.....its healing power is amazing, he's right too, it must be unpasturized to work.
here's a few facts .

The viscosity of honey provides a protective barrier to prevent wounds becoming infected.
--Honey creates a moist healing environment that allows skin cells to regrow across a healing wound flush with the surface of the wound, preventing deformity of the skin. (If a dry scab forms on a wound, the skin cells can only grow across the wound deeper down where it is moist.)
--Honey causes scabs and dead cells to lift off the surface of the wound, leaving a clean healthy wound bed in which regrowth of tissue can occur.
--Honey stimulates the regrowth of tissue involved in the healing process. It stimulates the formation of new blood capillaries and the growth of fibroblasts that replace the connective tissue of the deeper layer of the skin and produce the collagen fibers that give strength to the repair. In addition, honey stimulates the growth of epithelial cells that form the new skin cover over a healed wound. --Honey thus prevents scarring and keloid formation, and removes the need for skin grafting even with quite large wounds.
Honey does not stick to the underlying wound tissues, so there is no tearing away of newly formed tissue, and no pain, when dressings are changed.
--Honey has an antiinflammatory action, which reduces the swelling around a wound. This improves circulation and thus hastens the healing process. It also reduces pain. The amount of fluid exuding from wounds is also decreased by the antiinflammatory action.
The high sugar content of honey draws lymph out of a wound, which lifts dirt out of the wound bed.
--Honey prevents the odor that is commonly associated with serious wounds and skin ulcers, by clearing bacterial infection, and more immediately, by providing sugar to any bacteria present. In this environment, lactic acid is produced instead of the smelly byproducts of the degradation of protein.
--Honey rapidly clears infection from wounds. It is fully effective even with antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria. Unlike antiseptics and antibiotics, there is no impairment of the healing process through adverse effects on wound tissues.-

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
wow Honey - you're amazing (hehe) Thanks for the info! Who knew!! I also have been told and have read about the healing powers of colloidal silver - I bought some awhile ago - I just have to figure out how I'm going to dose it... ANYWAY... PICTURES!!!

Here are pics of his gums:
april282012029.jpg

april282012028.jpg

april282012026.jpg

And here is Oscar claiming the BIG DOG BED in the living room.... he pooped on it right after I put away the camera!
april282012054.jpg

aw come on mom don't kiss me on camera....
april282012055.jpg

healthy eye...
april282012053.jpg

still swollen eye.. but better... (and he's looking up at Bert bobbing at him)
april282012052.jpg

april282012046.jpg

sleeping all light in color....
april282012044.jpg

I uploaded more to photobucket but didn't post all the links here (feel free to browse if you wish) - there's even more I didn't upload to photobucket - LOL

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Wow, great improvement! I love the one of him sleeping with the light colors. Although the one of him on the dog bed with arms all sprawled is adorable as well. He looks like this is mine for my nap!! :)

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Lesleyyyy! Oscar looks GREAT! I can see some color coming through on his face, and his beard isn't so black anymore either! Signs that he is feeling better!!! So happy to see him progressing the way he is! You're doing an awesome job with him!!! Thanks for sharing the pics with us! :D :blob5: :D :blob8: :D

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks all!

Bought some raw honey yesterday and Q-tipped it onto his gums - he liked the taste! No change today not that I'd expect one after 1 use... BUT another issue has arose that I noticed yesterday.

You can see what I'm talking about in the picture that I'm kissing him up above on page 9 - His elbows are MAJORALLY swollen - they look whitish - at first I thought it was a shed issue but upon closer examination it's his skin/scales spread out.... he has almost NO range of motion at that joint - I even compared to B & E's ranges of motion and Oscar's is PATHETIC.... so is it a tumor (I think no because its on both elbows), puss, fluid ?? He's been on an anti inflammatory med for 10 days now!... so off we go to the vet for visit #4... at 9 PM!!!!

Please let this be the last thing wrong with sweet lil Oscar... :banghead: :cry:

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Yeah I sure can see what you mean about those elbows. Just as you stated I hope this is the last thing wrong with poor Oscar :( He is a good fighter! I hope you get some answers at the vet. I will check back for update! Thinking of u both :)

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
It might be gout - Doc couldn't tell for sure from x-ray and test on fluid from elbow... waiting to get back blood work results :cry: :(

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Awwww man, Lesley.... I hope not. That poor little bugger! Crossing my fingers and toes for you and Oscar that it isn't gout! Sending (((healthy vibes))) to Oscar and big (((hugs))) to you!

Hugs,

Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixxie
Top Bottom