Rest In Peace Oscar

Status
Not open for further replies.

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and kind words.

Being home now it's weird to go into my bedroom and see his empty tank with his towels still in it. I probably need to get rid of the tank now.

Side note story - still regarding Oscar though. I think that store LIED to me about someone just "turning him in" the day before I found him. I went there on Friday to get hornworms (I can't keep up with my B & E's demand with what I've been ordering from Rob) because I wanted them to eat for sure while I was gone. It was hard enough for me to even just walk in there but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. (needless to say I refused to support their business and buy their hornworms)

There were 6 adults out - 3 per cage - their nails looked like they hadn't been cut in like 6 months - one tank had sand and the other had wood chips. (there was a tank of babies and a tank of juvies too)

I asked the kid working if I could see one of them - Her fat pads on the top of her head were NON-existent - they were concave holes - it was disgusting - and she had some obvious MBD - major kink in her back bone. As I was holding her I noticed a lot of excess skin and I asked the kid if she had just laid a clutch of eggs and he said yes - and yet she was still being housed with another female and male in a like 18" square tank. I explained to the kid that she was sick and needed attention and should be alone- had signs of MBD and needed to regain weight with some food and needed calcium. His response was "well yea all it would take is calcium and a UVB light" WELL NO CRAP - so why didn't she have it? Both tanks were dirty - at least a couple days of poop. Oh and her price - $150 - again are you flipping kidding me?

I was so furious at this point - I also had a debate about sand substrate with him. His response was "well dragons have lived on sand for forever and in the wild they live in it" - I said no actually they live in rocky environments and just because something has been done for years doesn't mean it's right to which he responded "well I don't agree"

I mentioned that I rescued a dragon 2 months ago from their store and just had to put him to sleep the night prior so this obviously shows your store doesn't properly take care of their dragons.

I doubled checked the owner's name and said I will be writing a letter. I left and called the animal control officers of both neighboring cities to see if they could do anything (left messages)- this was at 4 pm on Friday so hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow.

What else can I do? Who do you contact about mistreatment in a store? :banghead: :banghead:

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
That's awful. Poor animals. :cry: Sounds like all they want to do is breed and sell babies to make money. Scum bags. Ya know, when you had initially explained how you came about Oscar, I thought maybe the "hole" in his tail might've been from being bitten by another dragon. Clearly, they're housing multiple animals in small enclosures. That's gonna cause fighting. Maybe try contacting your local SPCA to report them too... Probably a better chance with them doing something than Animal Control. I'm sorry you had to see that after everything you went through with poor Oscar.

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I still miss my Oscar. He was such a sweet dragon. I think back wondering if I made the right choice for him. It's easy to forget the hopelessness that he showed in his eyes. Even as I sit here remembering that he seemed to be all out of fight I wonder what if... What if I would have put him through the amputation surgeries... what if...

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
szubelak":j6vmyn55 said:
I still miss my Oscar. He was such a sweet dragon. I think back wondering if I made the right choice for him. It's easy to forget the hopelessness that he showed in his eyes. Even as I sit here remembering that he seemed to be all out of fight I wonder what if... What if I would have put him through the amputation surgeries... what if...

Lesley you are back! I have missed you!

I read what you just said and it made me cry. I'm sorry you keep going over your choices. Everyone does that and second guesses themselves.

BUT I read this and I was saying out loud no no no no no. It just came out - no no no. I think you did the right thing. The recovery from amputations would be...horrible. Just horrible, and I can't imagine how that would have been. He wouldn't be recovered yet - still. He would be going through so much more than he did.

100% in my heart I KNOW you did the right thing. I would have made this same choice.

How are Bert & Ernie??

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Hello Lesley! I'm sorry your heart is still hurting. :( I have to 100% agree with Shanny....you absolutely did the right and most humane thing you could've done for Oscar. Don't doubt your decision.... you did the right thing for him! I did the same thing as Shanny too...said no.ohno.ohno. out loud and got some tears going... He's in a much better place Lesley, free from it all....he's at peace. <3

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Shanny - Thanks Sue - yes it's been hard to be on here - I've been on a few times reading like zak n wheezie's thread and goonie's thread on her kids and that's about it. :lurk: I still think about Oscar sometimes.

another reason I was thinking about Oscar more lately is because I had to take Ernie in to the vet. He had a kink at the end of his tail - it was hanging on by "almost a thread" it wasn't even a cm from the tip - I think I actually did it because I don't know how else it could have happened - the boys both have hinged screen tops and all I can figure is that I didn't clear his tail when I was taking him out. It had been like that for maybe 2-3 weeks and wasn't getting better - I took him in and she cut it off and he's on antibiotics for about a week - it was such a small piece that IMO you can't even tell he's missing any tail. But he's fine - he's my trooper.

I tried the war on veggies again last month and I lost.. AGAIN - you know did NO feeder insects at all for like I don't even know how long - at least a week - maybe 10 days - Bert ate some but not anything to write home about. I caved like a good slave - Ernie gobbled like 17 superworms when I finally gave in. I think I have to stop worrying about it so much - the dragon we had as kids only ever had crickets and sometimes romaine I think - she was so healthy - we gave her away when she was like 7 - had never been egg bound (we actually thought she was a he)- had never had any health issues - had even been on sand the whole time we had her - and she was huge - she was like 22 inches long from nose to tail. I have baby food that I think I'll just use up on the boys every couple days maybe - at least they'll be getting some veggie nutrients - and they do love it.

Thanks again for the support.

BonesMommy1011

Hatchling Member
In my opinion, it doesn't get easier when you lose something that your so attached to. I still miss chance like crazy. And I still cry about him when no ones around and it's been almost 3 months.
I wish their were some comforting words to give you but I have none.
Just know that it's not your fault. And that he passed away loved and cared about. And that he is no longer suffering.
Oscar and Chance are up at the rainbow bridge hitting up them sexy ladies and living pain free!

Hugs!
Sam

PicosParent

Hatchling Member
OMG. This made me cry.....so sad....it reminded me of how my poor Pico looked at the end....so black.....he had been through several owners and on sand and no calcium and no UVB and no basking light for years before I got him.....he brought me nine joyful months and I will never forget what a fantastic addition he was to my life, family and soul.....I wish we could save them all.......

HappiDragon

Hatchling Member
Oh, no... I am so so sorry to hear of Oscars passing :( Just got back onto the forum and seen this.......I was rooting for him so much.

((hugs))

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Hi Lesley, I wouldn't worry too much about the veggies. There are lots of good supplements out there that you can dust the bugs with to get them the vitamins and minerals they need. I would just go that route. Much easier than syringe feeding or trying to force them to eat stuff they're clearly not interested in! It's like trying to make a little kid eat broccoli! :roll: LOL!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I just read through your thread and I hope you've found some peace. I lost my Sweetie a year ago and it took a long time to grieve, and she's sorely missed but my heart is easier knowing I did everything I could & so did my vet. I hope Bert and Ernie are doing well.
Take care
Deb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom