Rest In Peace Oscar

Status
Not open for further replies.

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for checkin in ladies -

Oscar is the same - still swollen elbows - Doc doesn't think it's gout based on the uric acid bloodwork - her diagnosis is just a septic infection of the joints (which I don't understand how it happens in both front elbows simultaneously). So he is now on 3 antibiotics and 1 anti-inflammatory/pain for 28 days. My poor baby is always dark - dark body, dark beard which just makes me think he doesn't feel good. I'm just wondering if he's suffering too much and if it is "worth" it at this point.

My mom (former nurse) told me that in humans a BONE infection (which not sure if Oscar's is bone or soft tissue) takes a REALLY long time to heal and is painful. When the Doc took the biopsy of fluid from the elbow to look under the microscope she didn't see many "infection/bacterial" cells but as she said it doesn't mean it's not there.

Doc also said his elbows might not recover - he might not ever get his full range of motion back to them. There was also mention of amputation ... but I don't recall what conditions would call for amputation. I just wonder if things would have been different if I caught it earlier - he probably had the swollen elbows for a week before I took him to the vet - I didn't look closely at them at first because I thought it was just a shed issue by the discoloration of the scales - he's got stuck shed in a lot of places still. I also thought he would be done developing NEW issues.... :(

His gums are still swollen too - trying the raw honey, also giving benebac, serrapeptase, liquid calcium - he eats supers on his own (like a pig) - some days I'll hand feed veggies and some days I"ll syringe feed babyfood veggies

L

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Sorry to hear Oscar may have a bone infection. It sure does sound scary.
I'm just wondering if he's suffering too much and if it is "worth" it at this point.
Only you could will know if Oscar seems to be done fighting his fight. It is every owners nightmare to have to think about and worse make a decision. Drache613, Tracie, may be able to answers some of your question. I will continue my prayers for Oscar as he takes this not so great chapter. Please keep us posted on how he is.

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He's still fighting - most days - some days he looks tired and I think he's giving up - but he like to snuggle sometimes - he'll crawl up to my neck and then other times he wants to romp around a bit and he'll climb off me to go explore

But now his hand and his forearm is swollen. wth

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor Oscar, the meds. are probably making him feel pretty sick, along with his other problems....but it's a good sign that he eats those superworms so well ! It really is. Can you post a pic of his leg that is affected ? A couple maybe ?

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
Poor Oscar! I hope the antibiotics work very well!
Did the vet drain the joints? I guess I'm not understanding what the vet saw in the fluid......"she didn't see many "infection/bacterial" cells but as she said it doesn't mean it's not there. "......hmm, I'm wondering how many infectious cells she saw? Did she do a culture? Joint infections can be just as painful as a bone infection.

Did the vet mention a septic arthritis. Oscar had sepsis and that's one of the causes of a septic arthritis. It can be one or multiple joints and you said his forearm is swelling now. Is his wrist swollen? A culture and sensitivity of the joint fluid to discover the correct antibiotic needed is of benefit. A steroid like prednisone may be used to reduce swelling thus reducing some of the pain and damage to the joint as it recovers.
Of course it totally may not be that at all....It's just a thought!
Maybe PM Tracie and ask her what she thinks. She knows far, far more than I.
I hope the pain med is working for him. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers!
(((((HUGS)))))
Amanda

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oscar is in bed now - I'll try to get pictures tomorrow - I already called the vet and left her a message when I noticed it- I'm sure she'll get back to me tomorrow.

and you are correct Amanda- she did not DRAIN the joints - just took a sample to look under the scope - and just like you said - saw some cells - but I guess not alot

no culture was done - his hand (like the palm) and his forearm are swollen - not his wrist joint - but his hand and his forearm are soft - not like his elbows which are hard/swollen

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Hi Lesley,
I'm sorry to hear about Oscar's new trouble. :( Poor guy. I'm sure having all those meds in his little body is probably making him feel crappy. He's been on meds for a while now. What meds is he taking? Just curious. Some meds can be pretty harsh on a beardie. Intraconazole almost killed my girl. I don't know if it was a dosing issue, the med itself or the fact that she was also being nebulized with Amakacin. By the 5th day of the combo she was completely not responding, thought I was gonna lose her that night!! Dino's appetite was not there on the meds either so, Oscar's continuing to eat is definitely a good thing! Maybe Tracie might know if any of the meds he's on would affect him negatively. Hopefully she'll peek in on us!
When the Doc took the biopsy of fluid from the elbow to look under the microscope she didn't see many "infection/bacterial" cells but as she said it doesn't mean it's not there.
Could that be because Oscar is already on antibiotics?? I know when my beardie had blood work done, not many infectious cells showed up either but, like Oscar, she was already on meds for a long time. Just a thought.
Only you could will know if Oscar seems to be done fighting his fight. It is every owners nightmare to have to think about and worse make a decision. Drache613, Tracie, may be able to answers some of your question.
I agree with Irwins. I hope you don't have to come to that decision Lesley, but, if you do, you have the love and support of everyone on this board to help get you through what ever you decide needs to be done. Love and hugs to you and Oscar!
HUGE HUGS,
Sue

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sorry it took me so long to get back to everyone... haven't been in a positive mood lately

So the swelling went away in like a day or two - but then was back again a day later or something but then was gone again - so I don't know what's up with it - maybe it's the way he's sleeping or something??? I'll have to start paying attention to whether his arm is elevated or not or something. He likes to sleep with his arms tucked down next to his belly. BUT ANYWAY... so I didn't get pictures of his arm swollen -

but all of a sudden BOTH of his eyes exploded with shed !! with no warning!!

may12021.jpg

may12020.jpg

poor guy - I had to help him brush away the loose bits!
He's still eating so as long as that keeps up I won't get too worried... heck - he's eating better than my "healthy" boys (grrr at you Bert and Ernie)

Oh and the vet did call me back and say to let his meds work but if the swelling got worse to call her back. I'm going to let this round of meds run it's course - and then see if he's still so dark all the time... black beard and all... I take that as a sign that he's not feeling well... I don't want him to suffer... the vet did mention possible amputation... I just don't know at this point... cross that bridge when we get there I guess

His 4 meds are: baytril, meloxicam, trimethoprim, and metronidazole

If I missed any other questions let me know... if his hand swells again I'll try to get a picture... I should get a "normal" picture for comparison sake too...

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Keep doing what you are doing, Lesley. He doesn't look unhappy in any of your pictures, and you haven't had him all that long. I'm sure more time and TLC will turn him around. He's already come so far. He really is a nice looking dragon, even with that bit of tail gone. Did you ever figure out how to dose the colloidal silver? Someone else had a thread here with a sick dragon and she gave him that. If you haven't given it and need more information I'm sure we can ask her. Her name on the forum is Nordica.

I hope Oscar continues to get better with all of his problems. He is a very lucky dragon. You did pull him from the brink of death, so he's bound to take a lot of time to heal.

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ShannyBeard":ni8k6b4r said:
Did you ever figure out how to dose the colloidal silver? Someone else had a thread here with a sick dragon and she gave him that.

Thanks Shanny,

I have just been conservatively giving him between .25 - .5 ml every couple days to see its affect. - I'll try to message the user you mentioned! Thanks! :)

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Not so good update:

It's been about 2.5 weeks of the 3 antibiotics/anti-inflammatory meds with no improvement - spoke to vet today - next step is to do a culture to see what's going on in there.

I asked what was actually taking up the "swollen-ness" (puss, fluid etc) and she said it's like celluitis or just swollen soft tissue.

She made sure to say that he still may die...

Next step is to decide whether to amputate (not sure if just the bad arm up above the elbow or both arms) or to put him down. Her concern with just amputating is that since we don't know what it is it could come back (whatever it is) to another joint later. We also talked about how he constantly has a black beard which indicates pain/discomfort. Sometimes when I coo at him and he's in a good mood his beard does lighten but in general he is always black bearded.

I'm taking him in tomorrow so that she can get a sample for the culture - she wanted to set up surgery for next Monday but since it's the holiday I don't know when it will be be - I think we're going to wait for the results of the culture to come back.

He's my sweetest boy - he's the only one that doesn't head bob AT ME!

oh and he's got some weird dark greyish streaks at the end of his tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom