Rest In Peace Oscar

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
szubelak":1h9dzzfm said:
I'm really beginning to worry more - when should I expect to see improvement - it's been over 48 hours and 3 doses of meds and nothing yet... :banghead:

I didn't give him a bath today - my mother (don't know why but I usually listen to her even when she really doesn't know about something because she can "make sense" and be convincing) thought that baths might be stressing him out and interfering with the healing process-especially if he has never had one before - which really could make sense -(she did used to be a nurse in pediatric intensive care) - so I gave him water via medicine dropper instead of a bath- got about 16 ml of water into him and 5-6 ml of squash baby food

Hi,
Reptiles heal slowly as the norm and he's septic. IMO, it sounds like one of the problems the poor little guy had was a tail rot bacterial infection that went systemic so I'm thinking he may need some recovery time to start showing improvement.....but I could be way wrong!
If he is supposed to respond quicker and isn't, the antibiotic may need to be changed.....Just a thought.

:help: I'd call his vet and ask to be certain because Sepsis is a critical infection.

His baths were for hydration so not to worry at all about baths if he's drinking. Awesome he will drink from a dropper! I would get some unflavored Pedialyte as this can help improve his electrolyte balance. Tracie...Drache613, a moderator here can help with the dilution ratio so he can drink some. It can also be added to a bath for absorption if bathing.

I'd get a probiotic and start giving it daily along with his other supplements. A probiotic can help restore the good intestinal bacteria the antibiotic will kill off. The good bacteria needs replacement to help get and keep yeast in check.
You can give it 3 to 4 hours after the antibiotic. You can mix it in with the squash or any baby food. Some probiotics are BeneBac, Acidophilus, or you can give soy yogurt, make sure soy since beardies don't digest dairy well.

Avoid giving him fruit if possible, it has sugar which feeds yeast.

Others will pop in to help too!
Amanda

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
My plan is to call the vet tomorrow if there's still no improvement. I do have Benebac - I was just worried about throwing it in the mix yet - wasn't sure if it would interfere with the antibiotics - I haven't even offered any feeders or veggies - he's not opening his eyes or even standing so I don't see the point of it at this point in time. To me the hydration is probably my #1 right now besides the meds of course - I just hope he isn't in pain - he does have 1 pain med and 2 antibiotics.

and drinking from a dropper - HA - it's more like I pry open his jaw and then dribble it in! - but he's letting me do that so I guess that's good.

Getting him to poop was also a big priority too -which he did this morning - probably some impaction going on

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
That's great you have the probiotic already, it's best giving it at least 3 or 4 hours after the antibiotic.
You are absolutely right about hydration being a priorty.
You are absolutely right about not giving protein right now as he probably can't process it yet and the baby food squash is great for now.
It's great the vet prescribed a pain med. I hope it helps too!
I'm thinking of you and sending healing thoughts to your little sick guy!
Amanda

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Hey! If you are giving him the pain med that would very likely be contributing to him not opening his eyes. Pain meds make people and animals sleepy most of the time. You are probably seeing him just looking 'drugged' for lack of a better word.

As others have said, lizards heal very slowly. Be aware any improvement will come gradualy, and just allow him to heal and take his time. As long as he doesn't get WORSE, he is probably just getting better in increments.

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks ladies!

Amanda - if she didn't give a pain med I was going to ask for one!! She did give him a pain shot too - that she asked me about first because it was more $ of course (Can you believe my dog was sent home WITHOUT pain meds when she got "fixed" - really?? since when does a woman NOT get pain meds when you give her a hysterectomy!)

Shanny - you make a good point about being "drugged" thank you!

But I did just come on to post that I see some signs of getting better!! He DID NOT LIKE when I took off his bandage - he squirmed quite a bit - for him anyway AND THEN he fought me when I tried giving him baby food and water via syringe!!! YAY (Ironic that you get excited that they fight you right?) He also had his eyes open for longer then he ever has during this bandage removal/feeding/hydration session!! His "bad" eye got watery which I'm not worried about because it's so swollen - I'm sure it's just a "defense/healing" mechanism! I'll get a picture of his tail later and post!

Anyway I thought I had stressed him enough so I will return later to try the hydration/baby food again since I didn't get that much in him....

Meanwhile I have 2 other poop smeared tanks to go scrub... :/ Do you think they're mad at me?

I'm on spring break next week so I'll get to really play nurse - hopefully my other 3 four legged babies will feel less neglected with the extra time I'll have for them

Thanks again all!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
szubelak":3ih2sbxf said:
But I did just come on to post that I see some signs of getting better!!

This is great news! :mrgreen:

Oh I am sure your other babies don't feel neglected, they are just slightly jealous. :D

-Brandon

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
I am glad to come on here and have some good news from you. Keep your chin up, stay positive, and keep doing what you are doing. I am so happy you came into this dragon's life. :D

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
OH yea - jealousy doesn't even touch it - my dog was SHAKING the other morning when I was talking to him and holding him - it was a major adjustment for her when Bert and Ernie suddenly appeared in our lives - and NOW ANOTHER ONE!!!! She's still my girl though!

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Hi szubelak,
Oh, the poor guy squirmin' with the dressing change. It's heart breaking how sick he must feel right now. I think it's great he had his eyes open longer and has some strength to resist you a bit on the care and feeding. It's very encouraging he didn't lay there just limp!
You're right, we do get excited about any progress they make and anything they can do when we are nursing a very sick beardie.
As he recovers he'll need much positive contact with you in between everything so he doesn't associate you with only this forced care.
He's got a long road ahead of him. You are wonderful for what you are doing for him! I hope your other little loves will adjust well!
Hugs!
Amanda

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
I'm glad he's giving you trouble, actually. It shows his fighting spirit.

I was wondering what you decided to do about the UVB. I was thinking because of his eyes and the problems associated with the Zilla bulbs that borrowing one of Burt or Ernie's UVBs would be the better option. It would probably be helpful to have it on him, even if it is just for a few hours. His body is fighting the infection and dealing with the antibiotics, and I am sure that a proper vitamin/mineral balance would be helpful in that. At the very least, a few hours under a good UVB can't hurt, while the "bad" UVB could exacerbate his eye problems.

All you can really do is be super patient with him. My personal experience with sick reptiles is that as they get better, they do so in increments so small they are almost unnoticeable, and they draw it out F-O-R-E-V-E-R. Then, all of the sudden, when you are sure nothing has changed, they are totally fine. Not saying that is true in every case, but it is certainly what I have seen.

Best best best of luck with him, and thank you for being such an awesome beardie parent. This little guy, and all your four-legged companions are super lucky to have you, even if they are all dying of jealousy. :lol:

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Amanda - you are so right about the positive time - he's had his eyes open quite a bit this afternoon/evening and once when I walked in the room I spooked him - he scurried into the corner of the tank (still not standing up) I sorta wonder if he can... we'll have to wait and see...

Atlas - I hemmed and hawed and actually didn't put a UV on him until today - and I did take Ernie's light - he's usually my healthier eater so that was my reasoning. I was thinking I didn't want to spend the money and order another reptisun in case #3 didn't make it - kind of like a jinx sort of thing - (even though I knew I would be able to eventually use it for Bert or Ernie)

I think I'm going to go ahead and order everything else I'm going to need for him - I'll need a couple more thermometers I think... I guess I could wait on another ceramic bulb/ceramic bulb fixture because we are getting warmer now...

He pooped again today - ALOT and it has to be from before I had him because he hasn't been eatting anything but squash baby food this week - it was smelly and much mushier than the one that got a negative test. I called the vet and she said it might be the antibiotics too - and that I should wait a couple more before I get a recheck. She sounded glad that he was doing better - I told her that he was "fighting" me with meds/water/babyfood.

I bought some crickets today - he wasn't interested though - I held them in front of him with tweezers. He doesn't stick his tongue out like Bert and Ernie do though, but that might just be the being sick right now too

He's sleeping on me right now - we're getting in our POSITIVE time. The dog isn't happy because I picked up her stairs so she couldn't get on the bed with us - I don't want her to scare him or lick him with as sick as he is. I've even been OCD about washing my hands after handling him and I never am with B&E!

Thanks again everyone for the words of encouragement and support. You've all made this easier for me!

Lesley - mommy to ... (Grover or Oscar maybe?)

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I MESSED UP!!! HELP :banghead: :banghead:

not supossed to "submerge" his end of his tail for 2 weeks - I was just feeding him and he pooped all over me including my hand - instinctively I ran to the bathtub with him and put him in - not thinking I ran the water to rinse my hand off and so poopy water touched his incision.

What do I do? My instinct was to rinse with a bit of hydrogen peroxide and then again with water and then pat dry - I then put him under his basking light to dry off completely...

What else should I do? Do I need to call the vet??

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I feel like such an *****! ugh

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I did call - they said because it was quick and I rinsed it that I'm probably okay but to just pay attention to it to watch for infection - which he's on antibiotics (2 of them) already anyway...

I'm still so mad at myself! I was home from work on my prep hour and was short on time and just reacted in my normal fashion -
poopy lizard = bathtub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom