Rest In Peace Oscar

Status
Not open for further replies.

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
he's been that dark since I took him from the reptile store -

I mixed powdered calcium into squash baby food and have given him that twice so far

and unfortunately Michigan weather has decided to turn back to Michigan weather this week - so we're back in the 40s/50s - I have an extra Zilla fixture with a zilla bulb - I think I'm going to switch out one of the reptisun 10s from one of my other dragons instead of waiting for one to get here by mail (Doc didn't say anything about MBD either though) and honestly getting him out of this infection is probably more important right now - doc did say he's septic

I'm hesitant to force feed too much because I don't want him to throw up - getting the baby food in has been more difficult then it has ever been for me to force feed my other boys - for being weak/sick he's got some jaw strength

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
I looked at the photos, just shook my head and the tears started. That poor little one...how could someone let this happen? :angry5: The doctor said he's septic right? That systemic blood infection is an extremely critical condition. You have your hands full with his critical care. Did doc say anything about keeping the temps warmer both day and night for him to help boost his immune system?
I'm thinking of you both!
Amanda

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
no she didn't amanda but I've been doing that - not letting it go below 72 (that's what i bumped up my thermostat to) thanks for affirming what I thought! During the day I've had a 100 watt bulb and a ceramic heater too (no furniture in the tank bc he's not walking - don't want him to hurt himself) so he's on the floor of the tank so it's been 95-100 on the warm side of the tank

he kind of scoots around so he can move if he gets too warm - I don't think he slept very well last night because every time I woke up he was in a different spot - even from one side of the tank to the total opposite side - it's a 40 gal breeder (and I woke up like 4 times)

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
If you can boost the night temp to stay around 80* and the day temp where he will mainly be to about 102*-103* it will help. When my 2 rescues had severe respiratory infections that's the temp gradient my vet told me to keep them at while on their antibiotics since the extra heat will assist the immune system to function better. He also told me to be aware the added heat will contribute to dehydration and to give extra water or bathe daily.
I'm sorry this little one is so critical. :cry: He has a fighting chance now since you rescued him and are taking such good care of him.
Amanda

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
I agree with Amanda and the advice she just gave about the temps. I would have told you the same. If he is not sleeping well at night, is the room he is in totally dark for him to sleep? Do you have something you can cover him with? A soft towel, perhaps? Nothing heavy on top of him, just something light and soft that might help him sleep.

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
thanks you 2! Good to know I can go higher with temps - I was worried because he was gaping and so I didn't want him to fry which is why I dialed it down - plus unfortunately I have to work 8 hours a day and can't be there - but I will definately bump it up

also GOOD news - the baths and oil worked! HE POOPED!! and it was hard as a rock... so good thing - I'm glad I went right to the oil yesterday instead of trying just the apple juice first. My mom is taking the sample to the vet for me today while I'm at work - so hopefully I'll hear if he has parasites etc and see if I need to go pick up more meds after work.

I'm just not used to a dragon not responding to me when I talk to him and coo at him.. my other boys look at me and listen.. and this guy doesn't even open his eyes... I guess i'm just getting more worried - I know it's only been a day and a half and 2 doses of meds... but I just want that instant fix/heal!

On a side note I think my dog is having major anxiety - my mom thinks she's sensing my anxiety/stress - this morning when I was talking to the new dragon (Doc said I should name him Grover to go with my Bert and Ernie) she was shaking.

Thanks again everyone

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh and I think he slept better last night - he didn't move around as much and yes I had him covered in light hand towel and yes the room is pitch dark (He's in my bedroom and thats the only way I can sleep!)

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Sounds like you are doing everything you can. I am glad he slept better - I know a sleepy dragon that is not getting his beauty rest will not be pleased in the morning. LOL

Hmmm so you need a Sesame Street name for this guy. I love that idea. He looks more like an Oscar right now - a little grouchy. :? :D

I can't wait to see how he improves and how wonderful his life will be when he realizes that he is loved and cared for. Right now he is suffering and sick, and he is going to look miserable, but he will start to feel better and he will look around and see that he has a home now. :D

You are an amazing and wonderful person for taking him in.

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Shanny - and yea I guess I do because I wouldn't want him to feel left out - not sure if I mentioned it earlier or not but my vet said "grover" - but yes he definitely looks more like an oscar ... Snufi was always my favorite when I was a kid though. - "Bert and Ernie" only got their names because they were brothers and going to be classroom pets so I wanted something "catchy" and "brotherly" - But someone told me yesterday that on Seasame Street Bert and Ernie were just friends - not brothers... I haven't tried to research it yet though...

His stool sample came back negative - amazing right!? They even ran it twice because apparently the vet tech knew his "background" - she was probably working on Sunday when I was there is my guess.

ho hum - had a terrible day today worrying about him -I was so stressed about him that it was distracting me at work - I couldn't focus on what I was doing in my classroom - I just have this sinking feeling he's not going to make it- I need to stay home tomorrow I think but I don't think I have any sick days left - or if I do it's only 1...

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
szubelak":ed35hoka said:
His stool sample came back negative - amazing right!? They even ran it twice because apparently the vet tech knew his "background" - she was probably working on Sunday when I was there is my guess.

ho hum - had a terrible day though - so stressed about him that it's affecting me at work - I need to stay home tomorrow I think but I don't think I have any sick days left - or if I do it's only 1...

I am glad that he has a negative stool sample. The last thing his system needs is more medicine, so great news!

As for you, I hope you don't mind me saying this, but I don't think you should put yourself too far on the line right now with your job and taking time off. It sounds like you just have a case of the worries, and he is most likely going to just lay around and get rest. He might even rest and heal better alone! I bet it would be less stressful since you are a new owner and he is in a new home. You may have a reason to take him in for more treatment later, so I would save any days off for that!

I hope he has a peaceful night tonight. :D (And you, too!)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How great that his stool sample came back clean!!

That really is great news. And shocking at that!

-Brandon

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
No Shanny I don't mind - you're right

Yes exactly Brandon - I was for sure it would be positive for something

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
I'm right there with you about work. :laughing6: I can totally relate. A bottle of wine would probably do you good. Too bad it isn't good for dragons. LOL

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm really beginning to worry more - when should I expect to see improvement - it's been over 48 hours and 3 doses of meds and nothing yet... :banghead:

I didn't give him a bath today - my mother (don't know why but I usually listen to her even when she really doesn't know about something because she can "make sense" and be convincing) thought that baths might be stressing him out and interfering with the healing process-especially if he has never had one before - which really could make sense -(she did used to be a nurse in pediatric intensive care) - so I gave him water via medicine dropper instead of a bath- got about 16 ml of water into him and 5-6 ml of squash baby food

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
God I regret not getting a picture of his tail before surgery - seeing the pictures in Germ's STICKY of dragons with missing digits/tails is nothing compared to seeing INTO the tail - partially hollow - being able to see up into it - it would be really graphic - so graphic that I would NOT have shown it to my high school students - the picture with the bandaged tail and the story was enough for them because they know how I am with B & E and I was getting emotional - but picture wise it would have really sent the message! UGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom