Rescued female with injury and illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

crickest

Juvie Member
Happy 4th to you, as well. I have posted some pics of Spark for Tazzie to look at. . . it can be found at this thread . . .
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108985

Spark is very nervous, he's said so several times this morning, as we were taking the pictures. Let us know what Tazzie thinks. Spark hopes she is feeling better this morning and he is really impressed with her aqua therapy. (He's a teenage boy and hates taking baths. He'd let his hair grown really long and shaggy, if he had hair.) We are sending lots of love, and hugs, and healing energy to help fuel her recovery.

Karen and Spark

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Kat,

Happy July 4th to you & to Tazzie! I hope she is doing well, & that she enjoys her barbequed crickets today! :blob5: Maybe some extra sauce would be good?
Keep us posted on her. I am glad that she seemed to like her baths, too & her water therapy. She should continue to show some strength it will just take time for her.

Tracie

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Aqua therapy is great for beardies! I have rescued two beardies, neither of which could walk when I got them. Through regular swimming practice, they both regained some flexibility, function and strength in their limbs. I'm so pleased to hear that Tazzie is doing so well. She's a real little trooper!

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
:laughhard: :laughhard: So glad I hadn't taken a sip of anything. I got a great mental picture of Spark with his hair hanging in his eyes, wearing a dirty torn T-shirt, Sitting behind a drumset, banging away!
Thanks, Ineeded the laugh!

Sandy H :mrgreen:

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
This may help clear up the tongue question. Syd gets mad when you walk near her when she's outside. I think she gets mad because she knows she's about to go back inside. :lol: If you need a closer look, I can crop it closer for ya. :mrgreen:

sydoutside016.jpg

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
LizardKat":b4ebd said:
Hi Caterina and Diane,
Wow.. Leela looks so similiar to Tazzie! Both of them are such little lovely ladies! Caterina, post more pictures of your girl......please :blob8:

Here are some new pictures of Tazzie. I had to upgrade her little black ("The Porsche") carrying bag as she has added a little bit of size. The carry bag in the picture has more room and she can have her favorite pink blanket with her! LOL! I only keep her in this when I am working on the computer. She likes to be held but her hands are still not able to hold on to anything. I would not feel comfortable placing her on my lap for fear that she might fall. She tends to keep her hands curled in (like little fists) when she tries to walk. While in her aquarium, I do find that she stays in the exact spot where I place her for great lengths of time. She shows no interest in walking but, on two occasions, I have observed her able to walk for about 6-8 inches. Her movements were very awkward and I am wondering if she may be partially paralyzed.

I just wanted to mention that she is not in the carry bag for long periods. I only place her in the bag when I am on the computer. Maybe for 30 minutes.. it is a little odd that she does not move even though she has plenty of room in the bag. While she is in the bag, her head is scanning the computer and the room constantly :) (By the way, my husband thinks the bag is a little weird.. oh well..)

I laugh every time I look at the picture of her "gaping". She saw Garnet-Rose (our Rottweiler) from about 10 feet away.. Tazzie wanted Garnet to know that she (Tazzie) is pretty tough (GGGrrrrrrrr) ..LOL!

Here are some new Tazzie update pictures. Gosh, I really love this little girl!!
Kat :)
Tazzieday7006.jpg

Tazzieday7002.jpg

Tazzieday7031.jpg

Tazzieday7017.jpg

Tazzieday7016.jpg

Tazzieday7015.jpg

Tazzieday5004-2.jpg
Loved the pictures of Tazzie trying to warn Garnet. Gee, bet Garnet was really scared. The fluffy orange pillow you have for her is adorable, bet she loves that.

Isn't the arm wave precious, funny that she did it the next day after I mentioned it. It's supposedly a sign of permissiveness or she could have been saying hello to you. 8) You can read more about the arm waving and see a video of it here: http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/armWavingVideo/

The carry pouch is precious. Certainly a good sign that her size has gotten a little bigger so that you had to make some modifications to it. It must be nice & comfy for her and less of a worry for you.

You wondered about her tongue, in the pictures, it looks normal as far as I can tell.

I'm glad the water exercises seem to be helping, I was going to mention that too. It should help strengthen them.

Thanks for sharing those special pictures, she looks great, you're doing a wonderful job with her. :wink: Anxious to hear how the 4th of July BBQ went with her.

leelasmom

Hatchling Member
LizardKat":e5503 said:
Hi Caterina and Diane,
Wow.. Leela looks so similiar to Tazzie! Both of them are such little lovely ladies! Caterina, post more pictures of your girl......please :blob8:

I posted more pics under "leela's progress"...and you'll see that Leela doesn't like dogs, either!

Tazzie looks like she is coming along well so far! Just like everyone else, I keep checking for updates because her story touches my heart. I cried, too, when I first saw her pictures... :cry:

And have you posted any pics of Sophia? I like Iguanas, too!

leelasmom

Hatchling Member
MelissaGray":7ef66 said:
This may help clear up the tongue question. Syd gets mad when you walk near her when she's outside. I think she gets mad because she knows she's about to go back inside. :lol: If you need a closer look, I can crop it closer for ya. :mrgreen:

Oh my! What a pic! :lol: I love it!

LizardKat

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Melissa, Diane and Caterina,
I smile "ear to ear" every time I look at Syd's picture! Wow.. that photo belongs in National Geographic! Her colors are absolutely stunning and I can tell that she is looking right at you. Tazzie peeks around my arm when I place Syd's picture on the computer screen. In fact, this evening, I saw Tazzie trying to puff herself up a little bit and she was opening her mouth like Syd! LOL! (Just kidding....)

Diane, the arm waving video is too funny! Thanks for sending me a link! I love the part where the two bd's wave at the same time! It reminds me of a synchronized swimming event! :lol:

Thanks for all of the well wishes to Tazzie. She asked me to post some pictures of her Iguana sister "Sophia" tomorrow and I will try to do that.. Taz reminded me that Caterina likes iguanas! (Gosh.. beardie kids never let you forget anything..LOL!)

Bye for now. Hugs to all of your beardies!
Kat and Tazzie

crickest

Juvie Member
Hey Kat -

I thought I'd let us adults talk and leave the other thread for Spark and Tazzie. I thought of something this morning, in regards to Tazzie's hands. It may be that the calcisand has hardened on her hands and feet, holding them in their position. Spark had an incident where he got squash baby food on his back foot and by the time I got to him it had dried. It was like cement and took several soaks to get off. I'm wondering if the calcisand hasn't had the same effect on Tazzie's front feet and that once she sheds (her first it sounds like) the skin that she might have more flexibility and movement in her toes. The reason I think this might play a part, is because her hands have taken the same shape as Spark's did when he had the squash glue. That calcisand is nasty stuff. I'll bet you see a big improvement once it comes off. Unfortunately, its probably fused to her skin and the only way to remove it is through her shed.

The picture of her open sore looks a lot better and you can see the improvement in the muscles of her hind legs. You're doing such great work.

I want to see a pic of your iguana on your head!

Karen

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Another thing you could try is using a soft toothbrush on her in the bath. Sydney has discovered that it feels like a backscratch. At first she looked at me like I was crazy...now she closes her eyes in peaceful bliss :lol: You could gently brush her feet with it in the bath, that might help loosen the sand.

LizardKat

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi friends,
I checked to see if there was any sand or "glue like" stuff on her hands and that is not the case. The fingers on both of her front hands (also her back feet) are rubbery as if there are no bones in the skin. The reptile vet feels that the Metabolic Bone disease resulted in the bones in the hands "melting" (ok, that is not the official term but that is how she described it..) It results in Tazzie's hands actually bending at the wrist when she walks/attempts to walk. I am hoping that the bones will somehow regenerate. I will keep you posted and I will check her little palm areas of her hands to see if there is any substance on them..

That calcisand (sp?) maroon colored dye is still on her little body. It does seem to be fading as she is bathed twice a day. She is "squeeky clean" :lol:

I did take some cute pictures on the 4th of July and I will try and post them this evening.
Hugs to your beardies!
:) Kat

crickest

Juvie Member
Kat-

I was hoping there was an answer other than "no bone left". That makes me want to cry, again. It's not pity, but rather empathy for her beautiful, elegant hands. You can definately see where the dye from the sand is disappearing from her hind legs, which are looking much stronger and the upper thighs are thickening. I had just hoped that she would regain some use of her hands. We will keep sending love and healing to her. . . miracles do happen. . . I mean, you came along and saved her. I think Tazzie just needs a little more time. (I didn't think there was any way she could be dirty. . . I was thinking more along the lines of the sand becoming one with her skin and the only way to get rid of it was to shed the layer of skin. I have no doubt she is the cleaniest beardie on the planet! :D )

Are her hind feet in better shape? It looks like it from one of the photos, but I thought I'd ask to be sure. And the upper part of her front legs looks like she's gaining strength and weight. Your water exercise is certainly paying off. It's absolutely amazing.

Can't wait to see the photos.

leelasmom

Hatchling Member
LizardKat":157a8 said:
Hi friends,
I checked to see if there was any sand or "glue like" stuff on her hands and that is not the case. The fingers on both of her front hands (also her back feet) are rubbery as if there are no bones in the skin. The reptile vet feels that the Metabolic Bone disease resulted in the bones in the hands "melting" (ok, that is not the official term but that is how she described it..) It results in Tazzie's hands actually bending at the wrist when she walks/attempts to walk...

Do you know if it is painful for her to walk, considering that? My first thought is that it must be, unless neuropathy has developed. I'm not sure, so I wondered if the Vet brought that issue up or not.

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
I wonder if you could make little-tiny wrist braces to hold her hands in place? That way as the bone and muscles strenthened they would do so in the right possition. I'll try to come up with a design. It's just out of thought reach.

Sandy H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom