Reptaid Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok. thanks for responding. im housing him correctly i think cause i stay on this site alot now. i have a 20gallon long tank with a 18 inch reptisun 10 its 2 or 3 weeks old so its not wore out. i have a zoo meed 50 watt basking light. the temps on the basking long range from 105 to 110. the cool side is anywhere from 78 early in the day to 85 mid day to after noon. night temps are 77.8 just checked them and its 1:55 where im located. humidity is 39 to 45%. i feed him live crickets with calcium dust once a day 5 times a week cept for today cause im out of crickets. i feed him kale and mustard greens. and nutri bite and the juvie repcal pelets. he eats them all. i bathe him once a day since he is in shed and use 100% aloe to help problem spots. clean the poop daily and clean cage every week. so how does that sound am i being a good parent. also here is a pic of the cage. http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd205/ckyforever43_2007/GetAttachmentaspx-1.jpg. cage has changed though no longer is the bulb on the right side of the cage there. that for night time temps before i realized they didnt drop to low

ez2bbad64

Juvie Member
hi heres an update on brandy. she looks quite a bit brighter and is now running laps around her cage. last night she ate 2 crickets and three small meal worms! the first she has eaten in weeks on her own!

ez2bbad64

Juvie Member
i just got him to find brandy glass dancing and begging for food! she has started nibbling on greens some but seems to be craving bugs right now and i dont blame her she has alot of growth and weight to catch up to were she is supposed to be.i really feel she would have died without the reptaid her eyes had lost that sparkle she looked as if she were dieing she fought the force feeding like she didint want to try any more her chin is bruised from trying to force feed her. but after a few doses of the reptaid her color is back the stress marks are gone the spark as returned to her eyes shes running and glass dancing and eating! she doesent fight taking the reptaid she seems to enjoy the taste. so now since bacardi had the same parasite and had a albon treatment and both bacardi and brandy are supposed to recive anouther three day treatment of albon in two weeks then have a fecal check done i am not going to give the albon i dont want to put brandy through that again!. i am going to treat them both for 10 days with the reptaid then take the fecal samples in and see what the vet has to say

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
ez2bbad64, I know you didn't have a UV before, did the Repti-Sun come in yet? If so, when and how does Brandy like it?

ez2bbad64

Juvie Member
the day after i posted she didint have uv i borrowed the reptison 10.0 from peaches cage and gave it to brandy hoping it would help but it never made a diffrence.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
how old is the bulb that you took from Peaches tank? What is the distance that you have it? Are you using calcium and vitamins, if so, how often?

ez2bbad64

Juvie Member
the bulb is 1 month old. its on a 20 long critter cage i am unsure exactly how far that would be to the floor. but she can get within 6" of the bulb if she wanted too. since she hadent been eating i was mixing calcium into baby food 5 times a week just a little bit. otherwise she gets calcium 5 times a week and a multi vitamin on the weekends

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
ez2bbad64
You do know that the reotaid is not a replacement for uvb right?I am glad to hear your beardie is doing better but please dont think that just because you didnt see an improvement when you out her over uvb that there is no reason to use it.Also in this case I would think the recovery was probably part albon/part reptide/part time but either way I am glad to hear she is doing well.

ckyforever43
Tank looks great!Keep up the good work :mrgreen:
Elliot I want to respond to this statement:
Second is that Reptaid is NOT medecine. Not even close. It is only herbs. So lets not keep talking about it like we are giving our reptiles medecine when we give them reptaid.
I think here is where we have to agree to disagree.Reptaid is a product that has been claimed to have healing properties for multiple ailments.It has antibiotic properties herbal or not and quite strong ones as you yourself will have to admit just based on all of the things it is supposed to clear up.Just because something is herbal does not mean it cant be dubbed a "medication".I know your saying it isnt because if it were it would be subject to testing however for the purpose of this discussion I would think calling it medication is fair.

ez2bbad64

Juvie Member
yes i know they require uvb light. brandy has always had a reptisun 10.0 light the reason she was without one for a few days was because she and bacardi lived together and when she got sick i seperated them so i had two tanks but one light she went without just a few days while i ordered one and i ended up giving her the uvb bulb from anouther cage. all i know is brandy looked and acted like she was going to die. so much so that i am working on building a few more 4x2x2 cages and i held off buying the materials for hers because i wasent sure she would make it. i gave a few doses of reptaid and now shes hungry and bouncing around like the enegizer bunny i feel the reptaid helped drastically i really feel she wouldent be here if it werent for that stuff i wouldent hesitate to use it again.

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
Second is that Reptaid is NOT medecine. Not even close. It is only herbs. So lets not keep talking about it like we are giving our reptiles medecine when we give them reptaid.

Ellliot, I also will agree to DISAGREE. Reptaid has Pau d'arco as the main ingredient which is a herb but an antibiotic/fungal herb that is as powerful if not more so then Baytril. There are herbs that have the same tendencies as antibiotics with the same results and is as harsh. I personally have experience with Pau d'arco. All the "good side effects from Reptaid are from Pau d'arco." In essence, Reptaid is a medicine if it has Pau d'arco in it. Elliot, you are the only vendor that says it's a supplement. The vendor I purchased Pau d'arco from considers it a very strong antibiotic herb.

I don't mean to sound rude but why would someone want to give their healthy beardie Reptaid? That doesn't make sense to me. Herbs are like any antibiotic, if used to much, it won't work anymore. I have no doubt that Reptaid would cure a RI and any internal fungal issues but why not put it in an arsenal for when it's really needed. Just giving it to make your beardie eat more is not really helping them. You need to find out why they are not thriving and fix the issue. Reptaid doesn't fix all the issues and what you are seeing are side effects only. I hope the people giving it as a supplement are also giving probiotics.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
As has been pointed out NUMEROUS times Pau d'arco is only part of the ingredients that are in Reptaid and you have no proof that it is a significant part. I swear you are like a record stuck. Just because you overdosed your dragon on an herbal antibiotic does not make it bad. You are specifically worried because the company will not give you their exact measurements of each ingredient, and if you sat down and thought about it you would know this is a rediculous request. no company with a new product is going to just give their formula away to someone because that person asks. And i still love the line where you said "i know there is a lot of Pau d'arco in reptaid i can smell it" :shock: :study:

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
For your information I DID NOT overdose my dragon. Funny that Semi is 15" and over 600 grams and per my vet is the strongest beardie he has seen. Most dragons would have died with the issue Pau d'arco gave him. How healthy is your dragons Spyder that you have to use Reptaid on them as a herbal supplement?

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Oh wow someone wants to argue
Size is not a indication of health
But I'll play your game
my male is 22 inches and 620 grams
female 1 20 inches 550 grams
female 2 19 inches 430 grams
female 3 (13 months old) 19 inches 380 grams

None of mine are sickly but I have used reptaid to clear up a URI and I have used it to bring my male back from a pitiful state because the people that kept him while i was in Iraq did not take proper care of him, and I have used it with 4 week olds as an initial deworming. When I got my male back he was 220 grams and barely alive. With the help of the reptaid I was able to get his appetite back up which made him interested in food again which helped him regain his size and strength. Don't begin to question my care. Its you that need to back up your claims. There are hundreds if not thousands of people that have used Reptaid and had great effects on the health of their reptiles and amphibians from it. Yet as far as I can tell you are the only one that truly speeks against it and you haven't even used it. You just base your opinion on one part of the entire formula which is sad and quite closed minded.

Thanks

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
DON'T accuse me of something I did not do. I am not questioning your husbandry and you KNOW nothing about mine. I only brought up Semi because you said I overdosed and I DID NOT. I cured aspergillus. Maybe you ought to do research on aspergillus before you accuse. But if you want to know the weights of mine I will be more than glad to tell you that I have a 24" dragon weighing in at 987 grams and is not considered overweight per my vet and a 15 mo female that is 20" and 687 grams. AND I never said Reptaid doesn't work. I think the vendor needs to recommend a probiotic with it because it is considered a herbal antibiotic. The vendor I purchased from specifically told me not to use after the symptoms went away. Basically not for a supplement. Why would Reptaid be any different? It's not.

Being rude and accusing gets you no where in life. :wink:

How do you know I haven't used it? You are assuming and assuming is a BAD thing to do with strangers. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom