Regrets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
After taking sometime to think about things, I've decide Basti will be staying with me. He may not be perfect but as long as he is seemingly happy and healthy, I just couldn't imagine pawning him off on someone else.
If he gets significantly ill then I'll deal with that when the time comes. I am looking into options to help him get more energy and detox, we'll see how that helps.

A second beardie may be a possibility but before i do that, I think I will take Basti back to the breeders and see how he acts around other dragons.

Konstantine

dolcedragon":00f1f said:
It really upsets me to hear that you've lost interest in your beardie. I can't imagine ever feeling like that. As mine have gotten older, they have become less active, as I would expect really. But they are part of my family. When you take on the responsibility of a pet, it should be for life, regardless if they become mentally or physically impaired. I believe the more love you give an animal the more it reveals its personality to you. Just my two cents.

Oh my goodness, after reading this post I am just appalled! I am a brand new member to this site, and this is my very first look at the boards and I just cannot believe this. Dolce I could not agree with you more! And I cannot believe the way this community is reacting, now I really do not know if I want to continue on this site. When you adopt a pet, first off you must do the research, know what you are getting into and know the breeder/disposition of the dragon before getting him. Of course with age ANY animal just like humans is going to slow down a bit, does that mean that you are just going to "trade-in" your parents? Your grandparents? Yes, of course dragons are dragons, an animal and not a human. Though it does show an extreme amount of character to "trade in" something that you are supposed to love just because it doesn't jump for joy when you walk in the door. Do you have dogs? Cats? Will you trade them in when they get older? Is it different because Basti is a dragon and in a cage? There shouldn't be a difference. Of course in extreme cases one should most definitely give up an animal as a last resort, but to blame the breeder and to trade in your dragon for a new model just because he isn't exactly how you want her? That's just coldhearted and absurd.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Konstantine":75939 said:
dolcedragon":75939 said:
It really upsets me to hear that you've lost interest in your beardie. I can't imagine ever feeling like that. As mine have gotten older, they have become less active, as I would expect really. But they are part of my family. When you take on the responsibility of a pet, it should be for life, regardless if they become mentally or physically impaired. I believe the more love you give an animal the more it reveals its personality to you. Just my two cents.

Oh my goodness, after reading this post I am just appalled! I am a brand new member to this site, and this is my very first look at the boards and I just cannot believe this. Dolce I could not agree with you more! And I cannot believe the way this community is reacting, now I really do not know if I want to continue on this site. When you adopt a pet, first off you must do the research, know what you are getting into and know the breeder/disposition of the dragon before getting him. Of course with age ANY animal just like humans is going to slow down a bit, does that mean that you are just going to "trade-in" your parents? Your grandparents? Yes, of course dragons are dragons, an animal and not a human. Though it does show an extreme amount of character to "trade in" something that you are supposed to love just because it doesn't jump for joy when you walk in the door. Do you have dogs? Cats? Will you trade them in when they get older? Is it different because Basti is a dragon and in a cage? There shouldn't be a difference. Of course in extreme cases one should most definitely give up an animal as a last resort, but to blame the breeder and to trade in your dragon for a new model just because he isn't exactly how you want her? That's just coldhearted and absurd.

Wow you need to step back and see how rude you are being and how you are disregarding peoples feelings. Get over yourself.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
Well then I am equally appalled at your outlook on humans. The fact that humans are no better or more important to you than an animal like a dog, cat, or dragon is just disturbing.

Yes, we humans trade each other in all the time for a different model. My ex girlfriend and i didnt like each other anymore so I traded her in for a better, nay, more compatible girlfriend. I knew the previous relationship was going to be tough just like any relationship but decided to give it a chance but, it just didn't fit after 7 years so I got rid of it [relationship]. This really isn't much different. The original poster lost the passion for this animal. So what? S*%t happens.

At least the original poster would make sure it found a loving home instead of just throwing it in the trash and letting it fend for itself.

I think you need to get a grip on reality and stop humanizing non-human entities. It's really not healthy to not be able to differentiate.

Konstantine":0f13a said:
dolcedragon":0f13a said:

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Please refrain from making anyone feel bad for their decisions on keeping/giving away their beardie(s). It is a personal decision regardless of how bad it may seem to you. Not everyone feels the same about beardie ownership as many of us do. If you cannot constructively contribute to this topic, please do not post a reply.

I will be watching this thread and if it continues to be argumentative in nature, it will be locked and moved.

Jodie is now a lovely healthy medium sized Dragon, Do i have regrets? I have had regret's mainly with the cost of running the MVB buld which according to my mother is running our electricity bill up (ignores the gadgets)

Jodie moves about, maybe not as much as most pet's but shes never really been a Dragon ive had to fight to a bath or fight full stop. Im now in focus of making her habitat more suitable and better looking.

I think my only regret is cost which before anyone states otherwise, i built into having the pet, but did not expect economic downturn's, horrible banks, and bosses becoming harsher and freezing pay rises.

I still would never get rid and find a way :)

John

MissT

BD.org Addict
GoFast":51bb7 said:
At least the original poster would make sure it found a loving home instead of just throwing it in the trash and letting it fend for itself.

Well said, GoFast. When I first read this thread I thought 'Oh dear. Thats terrible' but when I thought about it, I realised, Gail, you are being very responsible by thinking about and discussing what you are going to do.

I wonder tho, is it genetics or is it just that these beardies have a more laid back nature?

Gail, I do have similar feelings with my girl - for the opposite reasons, shes a nutter and can be very aggressive. We have had her for 3 months and we are still struggling to have any sort of relationship with her unless there is livefood involved. As awful as I feel admitting it, there have been times when I wondered if it was a bad idea to get her but I wouldnt get rid of her coz I know she is loved and cared for here!! I absolutely love her to pieces but she gives me nothing in return. Its tough... but I am working on calming her, just like you are working with Basti to get him moving. Im sure Basti will get there - he jsut needs a little extra encouragement!

Gail

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I too would appreciate it if people wouldn't get nasty on here. I really don't care if some people disagree me me or my feelings.

Konstantine, you are new and don't know me so I can understand why you might be bothered by this discussion but you need to know I'm not some novice who suddenly got a dragon then decided I don't like it. I've been involved with numerous dragons over the years, Basti's problems aren't simply a matter of him having a boring personality. He has neurological problem along with some health issues.
Am I a horrible person for not wanting a special needs dragon? maybe I am but if you read my last post you would have seen that I'm keeping him.

Thank you to all who offered advice and support.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Am I a horrible person for not wanting a special needs dragon?
No Gail you are not....not everyone is cut out to handle the added stresses and struggles not to mention money/vet bills.

Best wishes with Basti hope all ends up well for both of you.

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
I'll be honest and if I get jumped, so be it, wouldn't be the 1st time.
I was actually relieved when I gave my 4 dragons away. Yes I had no choice because my brother was in a head on collision and needed 24\7 care, but I was relieved to finally have a way out. I no longer enjoyed them, I felt weighed down with the care and cost, but I kept them because I felt I HAD TO. They all went to good homes, yes Goliath died but he was over 12 so it was just a matter of time. But i'll never regret giving them away to people who would love them more then I could.

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
glad you decided to keep him Gail, if thats whats best that is! There is really no need in all this rude talk on here and its upsetting... You had a difficult decision and i think you handled it welll... like someone above said... not everyone is ready to care for a dragon with health problems but i am glad that you found out what was best for both of you! Good luck!! :mrgreen:

junepath

I noticed you said something along the lines of him no interacting with his environment. Is there ANY chance he's blind?

Gail

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
No chance on him being blind, if I toss a super across the floor he will chase after it and he always sees insects in his dish. He really just doesn't care whats happening around him, I think the dogs could try to eat him and he'd just lay there :roll:

junepath

That is concerning. Our Harvey is kind of lazy when he's in his tank, but he is constantly checking us out, changing positions, and when we get him out, he zooms around. So I agree that it might be neurological.

Jess

Extreme Poster
The only regret I have about Wink is money-wise. When I rescued him, I knew absolutely nothing about beardies (I usually would do TONS of research before getting a pet, but if I didnt take him that day he would have been put down.) and I had no idea how much they cost... Considering Im 15 years old and jobless, paying for my beardie can difficult! It just causes alot of turmoil between me and my mom. Wink hardly moved 5 inches from his basking spot during the day, but when he is out of his tank he loves exploring. None of my other pets are very cuddly, except my dog, so I actually love the fact that he is kinda a bump-on-a-log, cause Im one too... Its a perfect match! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom