Pumpkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mom2twinsplus2

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Can I feed my beardie pumpkin (fresh, not canned)? It is just squash, right? Do I cook it or serve it raw and cut up?

Tis the season, right?

Alison

mom2twinsplus2

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We put some pumpkin in there today along with her salad. She certainly isn't jumping up and down for it...it ain't no superworm that is for sure. I guess I will keep sticking in little bits of new stuff along with the salad that she is not too interested already and see if she takes to any of it eventually.

Alison

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Keep offering her a variety, sooner or later, she'll get curious enough to try some. Once she tries the pumpkin, she'll love it. My adults have always loved it and my 10 week old baby boy had his first shreds of pumpkin early last week and went crazy for it! (he likes butternut squash too). I have been offering pieces of new veggies to him daily by hand-he has been taking food from my hand since the day I got him-and he will take anything that I offer by hand, and he gets in his bowl every day for the past week and a half and will polish off almost all the veggies in it! He's also mowing through small crickets and small dubia roaches at record pace! He's been here for a little over 3 weeks.

mom2twinsplus2

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah, I am going to go through the whole list of recommended veggies (or at least the easy to find one) again...I went through them all when we first got Norbert but then she was having some relocation stress and wasn't eating at all really...now, clearly she is eating (LMAO...vet wrote OVERWEIGHT in big letters on her chart though she doesn't look fat at all, IMO) but just not a salad lover. She eats a few bites most days but that is it. Hopefully I can hit on something eventually...she seems to prefer the mixed salad to the collard greens, I think...no interest in carrot or pumpkin...she did eat one bite of the pumpkin but it was clearly not enough to make her fall in love-LOL!

Alison

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
When you find the one or two greens that she really likes, use those and add in one or two other items in her salad. mix it together well so she can't just pick her fav's and she'll get pieces of everything. I use a cheese grater to shred the pumpkin or butternut into thin strips, all the dragons really enjoy it. It can take a few weeks to really get them eating their veggies. Even a bite or two is better than none at all. When they are babies to 1 year old, they need more protein (especially from 2 to 10 months) because this is when their growth rate is th most rapid. The favorite greens for all of mine are dandelion greens, mustard greens and endive. I try to rotate these so that one week I combine two of these, the next a different combo, sometimes a mix of all(if I happen to find all avail at the same time that look really fresh). Put the greens in the viv first
thing in the morning and wait to feed protein for about 45 min to 1 hour later. Sometimes this also helps, they warm up and are hungry and this can encourage them to get into the salad before filling up on protein.
Don't worry, she'll get there, some dragons are more picky than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom