Prolapse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
you need to take all logs or any other rough furnishings or anything she could catch the prolapse on out of the tank. if it gets ripped or torn she would bleed to death.

other than that you just have to hope. keep it and her as hydrated as you can and pray for the best outcome.

i wish you luck i hope it all works out.

and yes if they are very dehydrated and become "constipated" due to the dehydration they can cause a prolapse from straining very hard to go. just as humans can keep roids from straining too hard to poo.

Leeduh

Original Poster
spyder79":6f86e said:
you need to take all logs or any other rough furnishings or anything she could catch the prolapse on out of the tank. if it gets ripped or torn she would bleed to death.

other than that you just have to hope. keep it and her as hydrated as you can and pray for the best outcome.

i wish you luck i hope it all works out.

and yes if they are very dehydrated and become "constipated" due to the dehydration they can cause a prolapse from straining very hard to go. just as humans can keep roids from straining too hard to poo.

Okay thanks! I will take it all out.... except her worm and water bowl.... because she keeps laying on the logs..... and i keep telling her she shouldnt she just give me those eyes... :)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I hope you realize how serious of a situation this is and I hope you can get her to the vet in time. She is relying on you to do the "right thing." Make sure she is well hydrated orally and with frequent baths and also keep the area moist with the neosporin.

How old is the Repti-Glo bulb and how far is it away from her? What type of thermometer are you using to check the temps and what are the temps?

Leeduh

Original Poster
diamc":f6c2a said:
I hope you realize how serious of a situation this is and I hope you can get her to the vet in time. She is relying on you to do the "right thing." Make sure she is well hydrated orally and with frequent baths and also keep the area moist with the neosporin.

How old is the Repti-Glo bulb and how far is it away from her? What type of thermometer are you using to check the temps and what are the temps?

For some reason i cant get the temps over 90something... i have two thermometers in there one on each side.... The blub is only a month old... just like the other 3... i just bought everything for her.. and she is in a 90gal FISH tank, so it is a bit higher... then the breeder tanks...

I really am trying to do what is best for her, since i cant take her to the vet yet... i find out tomorrow about carecredit approval and i even applied for an emergency pet grant.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Have you been continuing the sugar water soaking?Just putting it on the area wont work you need to soak her as Tracie said at least 20 minutes and I would do it multiple times a day also I am not sure if this was mentioned but KY jelley will work much better then vaseline.What vet told you it would cost 2K?Thats way more then any vet cost for prolapse I have ever seen.I am sorry to say if you cant get her into the vet soon then I think your going to have to consider giving her to a reptile rescue group that will get her the treatment she needs.She cant last long at all in this condition.I do hope it reverses on its own but I am not sure it can as it looks pretty bad in those pics.I hpe that care credit comes through for you tomorrow.Keep us posted.

Leeduh

Original Poster
vickson420":d8b1d said:
Have you been continuing the sugar water soaking?Just putting it on the area wont work you need to soak her as Tracie said at least 20 minutes and I would do it multiple times a day also I am not sure if this was mentioned but KY jelley will work much better then vaseline.What vet told you it would cost 2K?Thats way more then any vet cost for prolapse I have ever seen.I am sorry to say if you cant get her into the vet soon then I think your going to have to consider giving her to a reptile rescue group that will get her the treatment she needs.She cant last long at all in this condition.I do hope it reverses on its own but I am not sure it can as it looks pretty bad in those pics.I hpe that care credit comes through for you tomorrow.Keep us posted.

I can't give her up..... i love her too much, and i am doing sooo much right now to help her... and the fact that she is acting normal... gives me hope...

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I understand how you feel I really do and I would never easily tell someone to give up their animal but without vet care I am sorry there is just very little chance of survival.I realize she is acting normally however this is because they have an amazing ability to disguise pain and illness.Unfortunately with true prolapses what happens is the area that has prolapsed will dry out and become necrotic and the infection will travel internally eventually causing her to pass away.I am not meaning to frighten you really I am not I just wanted you to understand that this will not go away on its own so if you cant get her to the vet soon then you need to consider other options.I know you love her but its because of this love that you have to consider all the options because the alternative is much worse.

Leeduh

Original Poster
vickson420":80475 said:
I understand how you feel I really do and I would never easily tell someone to give up their animal but without vet care I am sorry there is just very little chance of survival.I realize she is acting normally however this is because they have an amazing ability to disguise pain and illness.Unfortunately with true prolapses what happens is the area that has prolapsed will dry out and become necrotic and the infection will travel internally eventually causing her to pass away.I am not meaning to frighten you really I am not I just wanted you to understand that this will not go away on its own so if you cant get her to the vet soon then you need to consider other options.I know you love her but its because of this love that you have to consider all the options because the alternative is much worse.

I know :( No matter what i am going to at least TAKE her to the vet on Friday.... just to see what they say because i can afford the visit to a regular vet ( one that can treat her of course) and see what they say... I believe it has already dried out.. Since it is so dark.... But i am continually putting stuff on it... I am calling around tomorrow to see if anyone will do payment plans.... or possibly see her tomorrow and let me pay for the visit Friday...

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Leeduh":38d80 said:
vickson420":38d80 said:

I know :( No matter what i am going to at least TAKE her to the vet on Friday.... just to see what they say because i can afford the visit to a regular vet ( one that can treat her of course) and see what they say... I believe it has already dried out.. Since it is so dark.... But i am continually putting stuff on it... I am calling around tomorrow to see if anyone will do payment plans.... or possibly see her tomorrow and let me pay for the visit Friday...
Ok good do you have a good herp vet? If not go to herpvetconnection.com and search for one in your area.You can also ask for prices because as I said 2k is way more then it should cost for even a surgical procedure to remove the area if it isnt a vital organ that can be amputated.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If that area is necrotic already, it will be tissue that will have to be removed which depending on what tissue it is, could affect her ability to function properly. It just depends on what tissue it is.
Sorry to say but the Reptiglo 10 flourescent tube bulb is not a good light. It doesn't really emit good quality UVB light. It has low wavelength UVB which is not favorable to D3 synthesis. What type of UVB light did you have before you got this one? That could have something to do with some of her problems. She is not absorbing her calcium properly, no matter how much of it you are giving. The GI tract operates off of calcium ions which aid in smooth muscle contractions, much in the same way laying eggs would be using muscle contractions, too.
Is there any way that you can get a Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb? You could order one from online at:
http://www.petmountain.com It is only around $20 for that light & it is so much better than the Reptiglo 10 is.
Continue soaking her & keeping that area as moist as you can. I hope that you are able to get Care Credit.
How is she doing today? As Vicky said, they have an unbelievable way of masking their pain from us, even in the face of pain or injury.

Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Leeduh

Original Poster
Drache613":14cd9 said:
Hello,

If that area is necrotic already, it will be tissue that will have to be removed which depending on what tissue it is, could affect her ability to function properly. It just depends on what tissue it is.
Sorry to say but the Reptiglo 10 flourescent tube bulb is not a good light. It doesn't really emit good quality UVB light. It has low wavelength UVB which is not favorable to D3 synthesis. What type of UVB light did you have before you got this one? That could have something to do with some of her problems. She is not absorbing her calcium properly, no matter how much of it you are giving. The GI tract operates off of calcium ions which aid in smooth muscle contractions, much in the same way laying eggs would be using muscle contractions, too.
Is there any way that you can get a Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb? You could order one from online at:
http://www.petmountain.com It is only around $20 for that light & it is so much better than the Reptiglo 10 is.
Continue soaking her & keeping that area as moist as you can. I hope that you are able to get Care Credit.
How is she doing today? As Vicky said, they have an unbelievable way of masking their pain from us, even in the face of pain or injury.

Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Really? Because that just stinks, i asked for the best stuff for her, when i went.. because i told them money wasnt an issue.... I was getting what she NEEDED! I didn't have any before because the store i went to before told me i DIDNT NEED it... and then i did some reading, and then being able to afford all new things... i JUST got her what she needed.... The store i got it all from told me, that the other store was basically telling me how to kill my dragon and they told me never to go there again, that she NEEDS this .... So i let him pick out everything for me...

I have a feeling its gonna have to be cut off... but i dunno how thats gonna work... because it looks like its where she goes to the bathroom from... ya know? The white poo has been coming out of it.. and i've been cleaning it off everytime i put neo on it...

I have about 7 numbers to call tomorrow... HOPEFULLY one will let me bring her in and pay on friday... and i am just praying that care credit gives us SOMETHING even a few hundred would be goood...

The person who gave me the 2k estimate was an emergency vet... I know it can be a whole lot cheaper, hopefully only a few hundred.. My hubby doesn't want to fork up over 500... ( I have quite a few animals... and he hates paying for them... :wink: ) However he was the one who picked out the bigger cage for her... and wanted the best for her too... Its just right now were so low on cash.... I dont HAVE any money until friday... and thats even all bills.. but im taking a little out of it so she can be seen..

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yeah, I am sorry. Either the petstore owners are not aware of the light, OR they don't care. I know it is frustrating to hear that. I feel bad. I always hate to have to tell someone that, too. :( It isn't your fault though.
So you think it is a rectal prolapse then? It may be. Try to keep as much of it viable tissue as possible. Can you wrap some gauge around it to help keep it moist overnight? If only some of it has to be removed, they can cut & repair it to where it can still function but you may have to have her on a modified diet from then on out to allow for easier digestion & excretion ability. We will see what happens. I hope that she can hang on for you.
I understand money, especially with the economy now. If you can get the Care Credit, that will certainly help out alot for you. You should find out something tomorrow.
We will help & guide you as much as we can. Keep us posted on her. Continue with the baths in the sugar solution maybe that will help her out.

Tracie

Leeduh

Original Poster
Drache613":8f523 said:
Hello,

Yeah, I am sorry. Either the petstore owners are not aware of the light, OR they don't care. I know it is frustrating to hear that. I feel bad. I always hate to have to tell someone that, too. :( It isn't your fault though.
So you think it is a rectal prolapse then? It may be. Try to keep as much of it viable tissue as possible. Can you wrap some gauge around it to help keep it moist overnight? If only some of it has to be removed, they can cut & repair it to where it can still function but you may have to have her on a modified diet from then on out to allow for easier digestion & excretion ability. We will see what happens. I hope that she can hang on for you.
I understand money, especially with the economy now. If you can get the Care Credit, that will certainly help out alot for you. You should find out something tomorrow.
We will help & guide you as much as we can. Keep us posted on her. Continue with the baths in the sugar solution maybe that will help her out.

Tracie

i can wrap her up in the AM.... i have some cotton like things i can tape around her...thats what it HAS to be.... when u look close above where the white poo is coming out, you see two little slits... im not sure what they are.... possibly where shed lay eggs out of?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, it sounds like the two slits are probably the urinary pores & the genital pores so it will most likely be a colon prolapse.
They can stitch & suture it to the abdominal walls, or another area for repair depending on the severity.
At least she is still able to go to the bathroom right now.
You are positive she has eggs to lay?

Tracie

Leeduh

Original Poster
Drache613":de06d said:
Hello,

Well, it sounds like the two slits are probably the urinary pores & the genital pores so it will most likely be a colon prolapse.
They can stitch & suture it to the abdominal walls, or another area for repair depending on the severity.
At least she is still able to go to the bathroom right now.
You are positive she has eggs to lay?

Tracie

no i dont think she has eggs at all.. i felt her belly and i dont feel anything and she is so smalllll.. i didnt think they would lay eggs this smalll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom