please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, it doesn't have to go the full length of the tank since the UVB should be placed alongside a white basking bulb so your beardie can get the benefits of both bulbs while in the basking area. But, would suggest at least a 24" (18 watt) or a 36" (30 watt). If you order before midnight tonight, you can get 10% off your order by putting HOLIDAY in the check out section under coupon code.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
:wink: Do you have a hood already? If not and you need suggestions on where to get one, let me know.

atreyuhero4

Original Poster
yeah im going to get a 55 gal from someone else now because the other person backed out. Now i dont think im getting anykind of lid now im very interested in a hood but money is tight right now so if you could help me by pointing me in the direction of cheap ones that will do the trick (i orderd the 36" 30 watt) if you needed to know that thanks.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok, for a hood for the fluorescent UVB, you can go to Walmart and buy a standard fluorescent light like you would use over a kitchen sink, in a basement or garage. Remove the plastic and bulb that comes with it and replace with the UVB but leave the plastic cover off. You would be looking for something similar to this but in the length you need and it would be cheaper in Walmart than it would be here: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100652902&N=10000003+90401

atreyuhero4

Original Poster
would i need to find the correct measurements? for the bulb im getting also would it be safe to keep the plastic off and lay the bulb down on top the the tank? i still dont have a screen lid thats going to run me $20 but im getting a 55gal for $25 tomorrow so thatleaves me $45 extra dollars

atreyuhero4

Original Poster
Here is a update on my beardie: came home to a big ol' pile of poopy and he has his eyes open a lot more than he used to i got him a 55 gal tank but i need to clean it before he can use it

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
atreyuhero4":a6eb9 said:
would i need to find the correct measurements? for the bulb im getting also would it be safe to keep the plastic off and lay the bulb down on top the the tank? i still dont have a screen lid thats going to run me $20 but im getting a 55gal for $25 tomorrow so thatleaves me $45 extra dollars
Since you got a 36" bulb, you will need a hood that holds that size bulb. You could always take a tape measure to the store with you to measure the bulb that is in it. You should get a screen lid as I would worry about the hood falling on your beardie if there isn't really anything on the top to support it. Here's a screen lid that is hinged in the middle for a 55 gallon and it's only $17.99, exactly what you need. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6016+19098+7796&pcatid=7796 Wow, you got a great deal on a 55 gallon tank. :p
atreyuhero4":a6eb9 said:
Here is a update on my beardie: came home to a big ol' pile of poopy and he has his eyes open a lot more than he used to i got him a 55 gal tank but i need to clean it before he can use it
That's great that he made you a present AND has his eyes open a lot more, improving already.

atreyuhero4

Original Poster
He is like 100% back to normal today.... you should have seen how nasty the 55 gallons was when i bought it, but I cleaned it up real nice now and im going to get him some crickets today and that calcium powder stuff the tank came with a hood light but the bulb in it is only like 18" and i got the 36" one lol

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So he is doing much better now? Did you get the bulb ordered?
Please keep us posted on him. I hope that his appetite continues to improve for you. :D

Tracie

atreyuhero4

Original Poster
yeah the bulb is already orderd Lizzy had a big meal today and they were calcium dusted! lol it was so funny watching him, one cricket he saw and missed when he tried to bite it and he stepped on it and his nails went into the cricket and it got stuck on his foot and he was running around looking for it and the cricket was under his foot the whole time! lol thanks for the help especially the person who told me about my bulb making him sick hes going to have another bath tonight! Im so happy I got a 55 gallong tank because like for example today I would throw crickets in one at a time and all over different spots of the tank and he was actually able to run around and chase them and get to know his tank more... if you would like pictures of him and him tank just let me know and once again thanks a lot to everybody!

LJean

Extreme Poster
Glad to hear he is feeling better today.

Yes, please take that plastic cover off the fixture. The UVB won't penetrate the plastic. You should be able to see the size of the fixture on the box, but it couldn't hurt to measure the bulb inside first. ;)

Please post pics when you can!

LJean

Extreme Poster
atreyuhero4":01cd4 said:
LOL.. If you are buying a fixture like the ones for above cabinets etc, they sometimes come with a plastic cover. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom