Pinkies ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
I used to feed pinkies to adult dragon's as a rare treat, maybe two times a year. I don't anymore because of salmonella risks from contaminated rodents including frozen prepackaged ones.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I've never given them.

I know some beardie keepers and breeders who advocate a pinky as supplement for female beardies who are gravid or after laying a clutch and occasionally to all their adult beardies as treat. They claim the calcium in them is the reason for giving them.
Many of them have pinkies on handy anyway as they also keep monitors and pythons and other snakes.

Arron

Original Poster
Thank you. I was told they are very good food for them and provide a lot of vitamins and calcium ect.
Anyone on here fed them on a regular basis and seen good results ?

Pixall

Sub-Adult Member
I have. Pinkies actually have the lowest fat content of all life stages (I have citation for this but am posting from my phone so will have to edit it in or something), contrary to popular belief. The ca:phos ratio is ideal, and dragons tend to enjoy them very much. I don't feed to any dragons under 16", but the larger dragons seem really to benefit from them. I feed pinkies sporadically depending on my supply, but it is certainly more often than once a month in most cases.

And yeah. I keep all kinds of herps so have mice on hand all the time. I absolutely agree with the poster above about contaminated sources. Petcosmart mice are overpriced and super low quality. Grab a small bag of pinkies the next time a reptile expo is in your area, much better price and quality. Online pinkies go for up to 25c each. Petcosmart wants 1.99 each, and they're nasty, I've had them explode on me before.

EDIT: mouse nutrition info source: http://www.rodentpro.com/qpage_articles_03.asp

Arron

Original Poster
Thank you Pixall. sounds good, i will try and source a good supply where i am in Ireland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom