Oxbow ratios?

Edwtampa

Hatchling Member
I haven't posted here in a very...very long time. I joined shortly before getting my girl Gypsy. She was a year old then. She's 12-13 years old now. She's always been fat and happy til this year. She has really really lost weight. I took her to the vet because she was always keeping one eye closed. Vet declared her in good health and parasite free from her fecal and xray.

I've been feeding her frozen but thawed pinkies...about once a week for a while? The weight loss didn't get any better.

So cue the research! I've bought Oxbow herbivore and carnivore, but this ratio thing has me confused. I think it's 3:1 herbivore to carnivore? But would that be like 3 tablespoons to 1 tablespoon or what?? I want to be sure i'm giving her the optimal to try and get her weight back on.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Your correct on the math, but tablespoons full is A LOT. But its the same formula for whatever measurement you use.

Edwtampa

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you for your answer

Would teaspoons work better then? Or perhaps half teaspoons? I intend on making her meals as needed, since i'm not sure this stuff has much of a shelf life once it meets water.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I just use a pinch when i use it, an amount about the size of a big pea, it expands in water, i usually have just a little left in the syringe at that amount. I don't try to pre-mix it, i just make it up as i need it, the powder has a long shelf-life if stored cold.

Edwtampa

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I think i'd prefer to measure it since i have to do ratios. At least it's okay to thin it out as much as needed right? Though i didn't have much problem feeding her from a spoon, she licks off her snout just fine. So a paste will probably be okay for her.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Yeah, you can thin it by adding water. I was just saying on the pea size because i don't know how long it keeps once water is added. It was just the first thing that popped in my mind on about how much it takes for a syringe full. I haven't tried mixing the two together myself.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Good luck 👍, it has worked well for me i hope it does you as well.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom