Pinkie mice question

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeoj316

Is it good to feed an adult berdie a pinkie mice maybe twice a month as a lil present for them or is that a bad idea

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
The majority of people believe that using pinky mice with dragons is an outdated and unneccessary practice that poses more risks than it does benefits. There are a few who believe that pinky mice can have a place in a healthy dragon diet provided that you use only true pinky mice (nothing older), offer them no more frequently than one every two weeks, and you cut back on your dragon's other sources of protein the week after each pinky to compensate.

I don't use pinky mice with my dragon because they are unnecessary - it's easier and safer to provide her with all of the protein etc. that she needs through her normal bugs and salad diet. If it's just a treat that you're looking for, many dragons enjoy different types of fruit - something that should only be offered occassionally as a treat due to the high natural sugar content.

I've done it before and Harvey loved it. The breeder at the pet store where we purchase the pinkies even said that he could take on a fuzzie. Now that I am NOT comfortable with doing. MAYBE once every six months we will treat Harvey to a pinky. As long as your beardie is healthy and you understand that it should only be a rare treat, I think it's fine. But it's soley on what you feel comfortable with as the owner.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Here's my take on it. Pinkies and fuzzies like anything else is fine in moderation. It's like what my doctor tells me: If you are on a diet either for health issue or you are trying to loose some weight, it doesn't mean you can't eat junk food or candies or any other sweets. It just means you have to eat smaller serving of it...a reasonable portion. I see feeding pinkies and fuzzies as good for varying their diet because in captivity they are only limited to eating few prey items, greens and veggies.

pwargcm

has anyone ever tried to feed mouse parts to a beardie. i have a boa that will sometimes rip rats parts off when she constricts them. shes a murderer. and sometimes is like the hind skin with a leg. but i just thought what if i cut up a pink and fed it to my beardie as a treat when shes older. not a huge meal then but still gives them a good treat.

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
We have done a few pinkies, and it is strange how some dragons have a real attraction to them and gobble them up, while others are only stirred by the movement and the whining. We go through about 10 pinkies a year... and btw... it is my wife who buys them,lol.

Jeff

bdc873

i know people feed frozen thawed pinkies to snakes would frozen pinkies that are thawed solve the whole squirming and noise of live one? is it safe to feed frozen ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom