Phoenix vs Mealworms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need opinions on what to feed my adult dragons as a staple. They're use to mealworms but I've heard Phoenix are better? I would have to order them online since no one around here seems to carry them or know what they are.

INReptiles

Hatchling Member
Mealworms aren't good as a staple because they have hard chitin that can be hard for dragons to digest. Phoenix worms would be much better, I don't know about using them as a staple though, maybe do a search on the forums? Horn worms are also good, and they get pretty big but are pretty expensive.

jessu892

Yeah mealworms aren't the best. Phoenix (aka repti and calci) worms are a good staple as they're naturally high in calcium. I have actually seem some at the Petco near me but they were so tiny and not many in a cup it would be a waste. They can actually be cheaper online as well. But also crickets as you know can be used but aren't super nutritious. Also Dubia roaches alot of people like which can also be ordered online. And you should also be feeding him veggies as well. Especially if he is an adult.

Demonica1610

Original Poster
They both get veggies daily and crickets. I've also down waxworms, superworms and hornworms as treats. I was using mealworms as a staple but then I heard Phoenix worms are better. Going to try and find some online.

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
Let's qualify that: Phoenix worms don't need to be CALCIUM dusted. You still need to
ensure that you're doing a 1-2x weekly multi-vitamin dusting on the staple feeders.

Bailey91990

Hatchling Member
Pheonix worms are def better then Mealworms because Mealworms can cause problems with your beardy that can lead to death & have seen it happen! But the problem is Pheonix worms are soooooooo small! Even the larges. The Large PheonixWorms are still smaller then a Waxworm. A large pheonixworm is about
-------- big and * * fat. So it takes soooooo many to get your beardy full. There soooo good for Dragons and you dont need to dust them but you still need to give a Multi Vitamin to the dragon. If they were bigger I would use them non stop but there to small. There about half the size of a Waxworm and Waxworms are tiny. & my dragons are 15inches and 10inches and my baby dragon who was 9inches at the time ate about 70 of them and looked at me like "What the hell is this I want something bigger" lol. I would go with Dubia Roaches or Superworms if you can.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
You can grow your pheonix worms to be up to an inch and almost 1/4 of an inch+ in width. Don't feed mealies, feed Pheonix(repti's are more cost effective, same fly larvae different company).

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Phoenix vs Mealworms...

That kinda just puts a picture in my head of:
m217137894.jpg

Vs.
SkinnyNerd1.jpg

lol

-Brandon

but isn't the nutritional content different from crickets to phoenix worms?

Looking at the nutritional chart on the Phoenix worm website I assumed you can feed less. Is that wrong?

And yes worms are so addictive I hate the looks you get when they demand more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom