Feeding schedule/behavior during the winter (how late is too late)

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys basically my Chubbs woke up and came out to bask at 6:30pm (lights out at 7 during the winter) so I thought she must be thirsty or hungry. I gave her a bath and she got a nice drink and played around in the warm water for about 15 mins then pooped 😁.

I gave her about 15 mealworms or so and I would say they are medium/large only 2 superworm size. But afterwards she wanted more I was extremely hesitant because she takes long breaks between being active during the winter.

Should I just give her as much as she will eat or only small doses? She seems to only be going for bugs which I don't blame her since she isn't very active and meat seems a better choice. I just don't wanna for example feed her at 6:30pm then turn the lights out at 7pm so I wonder how late is to late to feed a beardie during the winter

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're correct, leave at least 3 hours of light/heat for digesting and best to feed smaller amounts at first. How long was Chubbs asleep ?

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
You're correct, leave at least 3 hours of light/heat for digesting and best to feed smaller amounts at first. How long was Chubbs asleep ?
About 15 days or so she seems to be active for a fews days (she is under her lights right now second day in a row) then retreat to her (Chubbs) hide.

Last time she (Chubbs) was up and basking for 4 days straight then took around 15 days till she came out to bask and poop again. Oddly enough Amber hasn't had any desire whatsoever to come out of her hide like Chubbs does but each beardie is different

Note: I take pics when I bathe them feed them and if they poop and the first time Chubbs came out was on Dec. 5th and came out consecutive days till she retreated to her hide on Dec. 9th

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Is she good weight ? As long as she's not TOO Chubby you can still feed her a bit until she comes out and stays out, then get her back to the regular routine. Do you feed her insects other than mealworms ? Be sure that's not her staple, main insect. Be sure to offer salads as well.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Is she good weight ? As long as she's not TOO Chubby you can still feed her a bit until she comes out and stays out, then get her back to the regular routine. Do you feed her insects other than mealworms ? Be sure that's not her staple, main insect. Be sure to offer salads as well.
During the summer I play hard ball and give her crickets and insects (butter worms BSFL mealworms dubias and hornworms) twice a week and greens the rest of the time. She is a good weight and is very stubborn when it comes to her greens I have tried everything under the sun but she is stubborn.

I put in a salad for her today and gave her a small amount of crickets and mealworms she will eat 4-5 crickets at a time then I wait a bit. She has this sorta look on her like she is hungry but she also doesn't wanna eat large quantities.

Note: Most recent pics tried to get her to flatten out but wasn't able

Attachments

• IMG_20231205_144405.jpg
    IMG_20231205_144405.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 17032711918881984056500859218926.jpg
    17032711918881984056500859218926.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 29

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She is a very big girl, I forget but has she ever laid eggs ?
Keep feeding a small amount of insects about 2X a week but offer salad greens as often as possible. Kale, mustatd, turnip, collard greens, arugula, dandelion [ when in season both leaf + flower ] If dandelions + clover grow in your yard those are nutritious and a lot of beardies will eat those.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
She hasn't had eggs yet and for the most part I thought she was a he for 5 yrs before the vet checked her and told me he was a she 😅.

Exactly in the summer she gets bugs 2 times a week I'll admit sometimes she has a treat if she behaves and I have them both outside in the sun for vitamin D and exercise. I have had a ton of trouble finding certain greens (not sure exactly what's safe) like turnips clovers and mustard greens.

Someone said I could get mustard greens from Walmart already cut and sorted together but haven't had any luck I would love to explore more greens leafs and veggies for them to eat and what's safe and isn't. Sometimes I'll see what other people are using premixed greens and/or fresh salads for them both on YouTube but can't trust everyone

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can use spring mix, just not too much spinach. Beardies really need greens, they supply lots of nutrients. If you have a large grocery store near you there will be greens. Kale is great, turnip greens [ not turnips ] collard greens.

Last edited:

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
You can use spring mix, just not too much spinach. Beardies really need greens, they supply lots of nutrients. If you have a large grocery store near you there will be greens. Kale is great, turnip greens [ not turnips ] collard greens.
I do collards kale escarole and dandelions for greens with butternut squash sweet potatoes here and there and healthier bugs when I can get them (sometimes they are outta stock)

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom