Papaya and Pineapple's Journal

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudskipper

Juvie Member
8 more hours till my first bearded dragon 'Papaya' arrives! She's a 7" 3-month old hypo trans leatherback from A1 Reptiles!

F616145E-B0EE-47FB-A350-99D028CB61A2-3263-000002EFD1996936.jpg

Got her 20 gallon tank set up with a 100W clear bulb in a Fluker's Dimmable lamp and T8 Arcadia 12% with Arcadia reflector in a Walmart fixture.

7D8012D8-CB41-4F41-BD61-AC6DC42B171B-1050-00000082B7B35BE9.jpg

Gutloading the smallest dubias I have with Repashy Super Load. The dubias will be dusted with Repashy Calcium Plus before they go into the cage. Also got some chopped collard greens, diced prickly pears, and diced butternut squash ready for her salad tomorrow! Repashy Super Veggie will be sprinkled on top of the salad. I spoil my babies with only the best stuff. :D Hopefully, the dubias won't be too big for a 7" baby beardie though. 200 more small dubias will also arrive tomorrow from Mass Dragonz! Also got a big jar of Nature Zone Bearded Dragon Bites just in case. Hopefully, she'll eat one of these things..!

6B5AD414-C84D-4F61-85C5-38172A7F8EE4-1050-00000082B3C35A0B.jpg

I'm also wearing the shirt that will be her blankie now. I'm sleep in it tonight so it will smell more like me and less like Tides... :lol:

:blob8: :blob5: :study: I think that's everything I need. :study: :blob5: :blob8:

mudskipper

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Papaya arrives at 9 a.m.! Weighs 17 g.

Gave her a quick bath, which she didn't seem to mind. I think I put in too much food... LOL

3A0F92D5-4BBA-4E0D-BB1D-4D34CB4A6412-1050-0000010A050DA646.jpg

Action shots on the basking rock.

Papaya2012-10-04cat17g.jpg

Papaya2012-10-04bat17g.jpg

Papaya2012-10-04aat17g.jpg

tazznzeppelin

Juvie Member
Papaya is absolutely gorgeous! I love her coloring. Is she your first beardie? If so it looks as if you've done
your research. Everything she needs you already have for her. Keep us updated I would love to hear
more about her.
Amy :D

mudskipper

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks, Tammy! She was very calm when I took her out of the cloth bag. When I put her in the cage, she ran right up to the basking rock. I didn't see any stress marks until the landscaper came to mow the lawn. She didn't like the loud noises and moved off to sit in the corner behind the basking rock. I'm buying a webcam today to spy on her while I'm at work. I have not tried holding her yet. I'm going to let her adjust to her new cage for a week or two before holding her. She was pretty calm this morning and didn't run away when I touched her. I love how beardies always keep an eye on you. My leopard geckos would rather sleep. LOL

Yes, Amy. She's my first beardie. :) I have been reading up on how to take care of beardies for a couple of months. I learned everything I know about beardies from here. :) Papaya was supposed to be my 2nd beardie, but I couldn't wait anymore! LOL My first one is a citrus leatherback who just hatched a couple of weeks ago; he/she won't arrive till November. He/she will be called Pineapple.

tazznzeppelin

Juvie Member
I'm glad you found this site before you got her. I didn't find it until a couple weeks after I had gotten my
first two beardies last year and I bought the wrong uvb to start out with. But that was quickly remedied.
I wouldn't wait to hold her if she doesn't seem stressed. Most beardies love attention, I know mine all do.
I don't hold the babies for as long as my adults because they are too squirmy but I still hold them.
Amy

mudskipper

Juvie Member
Original Poster
tazznzeppelin":2v9ybbc8 said:
I'm glad you found this site before you got her. I didn't find it until a couple weeks after I had gotten my
first two beardies last year and I bought the wrong uvb to start out with. But that was quickly remedied.
I wouldn't wait to hold her if she doesn't seem stressed. Most beardies love attention, I know mine all do.
I don't hold the babies for as long as my adults because they are too squirmy but I still hold them.
Amy

I followed your advice and took her out of her cage. Most of her stress marks disappeared so I guess she either enjoys being outside her new cage or being with me. :D I put her on my chest and she fell asleep inside my shirt within a few minutes. I'm playing video games now and had to turn the volume down really low because she kept waking up from the loud sound effects.

8D1FF3FA-76DA-4866-A063-B7F77EAE0B15-2478-000001C17CB0D7FB.jpg

Scrammy

Hatchling Member
Awww...how sweet. Do u know if they handled the babies at a1reptiles? Were you able to see the patents? Or ask questions? Kinda looks like u just click on the buy button and they ship it out. There are some really nice siblings to Papaya left. I know Terri doesn't believe in handling babies.. but its hard to say if that makes a difference or not since they are naturally afraid. Maybe some just have calmer lizardalities than others ;) were u able to find that out about her before u bought?

mudskipper

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Scrammy":3dt6a23q said:
Awww...how sweet. Do u know if they handled the babies at a1reptiles? Were you able to see the patents? Or ask questions? Kinda looks like u just click on the buy button and they ship it out. There are some really nice siblings to Papaya left. I know Terri doesn't believe in handling babies.. but its hard to say if that makes a difference or not since they are naturally afraid. Maybe some just have calmer lizardalities than others ;) were u able to find that out about her before u bought?

Teri at A1 Reptiles was fast at returning my emails. I didn't ask many questions besides who their parents were, if there were nips, if they were tame, and what veggies and insects they have been eating. I didn't ask if they handled their babies. The other baby I was looking at was TCL2933. She said they both were tame. Papaya is also a little older, too. She hatched on June 26th. Many of the babies are actually not related even though they look kind of similar. The other baby I was looking at got different parents than Papaya even though they look almost the same. Papaya was actually only listed for a day. If I waited too long, someone else would have snatched her. Hypo trans leather females seem to be in high demand and usually cost more than what I paid.

Here's Papaya's dad. He's a hypo translucent.

Piro_hypo_trans_male.jpg

Here's mom. She's a translucent leatherback.

TRANS_LEATHER.jpg

mudskipper

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Spying on Papaya on my iPhone while at work via a remote desktop app called Jump Desktop. She's waving at the camera! Well, maybe just her reflection :p

FA4065BD-7A9F-4B82-9278-AF68E50FA0FC-2745-00000255FBF4E0EB.jpg

Scrammy

Hatchling Member
Man...now u r really making me jealous!!! I was soo hoping Darla would do that..but Nooooooo...instead she acts like a boy and beards and head bobs. I have a butch baby girl :roll:

How much did that whole set up with the camera cost? Think it would work with Android? Maybe I can catch Darla doing some push ups or smashing a beer can on her forehead :lol:

Scrammy

Hatchling Member
What is that white thing she us sitting on behind her rock?

Her parents are beautiful!! Funny...another Teri... Did u do that thing were u can look back at old pages with their site? Just wondering if all their babies look like that

tazznzeppelin

Juvie Member
I'm so glad you decided to hold her, and that she liked it. She looks so comfy all snuggled in your shirt. She reminds me of my 1 year old male Zeppelin, he's hypo trans leather too. He looks pretty similar to the pic of Papaya's mom that you posted. He was a little scaredy cat that didn't like to eat a whole lot when he was little. So I babied him alot and I think that made our bond with each other even stronger. I still call him my wittle wizard man and kiss him on the nose. He always closes his eyes when I kiss him, funny lizard man. That is so cool that you can check out what she's doing from work. I work at a hydroponics store for one of my very good friends so my 1 year old female Tazz lives here at the shop. I bring my 2 new babies here with me during the week too so I can make sure they are eating and all that good stuff. But I always wonder what Zeppelin is doing at home all by himself. It would be awesome if I could watch him from work. Tazz would love to see him too, she likes to tease poor Zep. They are hilarious to watch when I bring Tazz to my house.

mudskipper

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Scrammy":155uio1i said:
Man...now u r really making me jealous!!! I was soo hoping Darla would do that..but Nooooooo...instead she acts like a boy and beards and head bobs. I have a butch baby girl :roll:

I still have not seen her wave in person. I was waving at her this morning hoping that she would wave back. I actually just caught her waving again in the webcam. This time at the dubias in the ashtray. LOL

How much did that whole set up with the camera cost? Think it would work with Android? Maybe I can catch Darla doing some push ups or smashing a beer can on her forehead :lol:

The camera is $40 on Amazon. It's 1080p HD. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009E7Y8NA/ref=mp_s_a_2?pi=SL75&qid=1349457116&sr=8-2 It is $80 at Best Buy.

I found a few options for the live webcam. I bet there are a lot more, but I haven't looked into them yet.

I'm using Ivideon. It's completely free, but only you can see the webcam. You download a software on your computer and a free app on the phone. Very good image quality on the iPhone. It's also possible to view archived videos on the phone. I don't know if it is available for Android.

I also have Jump Desktop. It's a $15 remote desktop app. You can do almost everything you can do on your computer via your phone. I actually see my whole desktop screen. So I can just turn on the webcam and view it that way.

Her parents are beautiful!! Funny...another Teri... Did u do that thing were u can look back at old pages with their site? Just wondering if all their babies look like that

I did. I didn't see any hypotrans leather babies though. Must be new for them?

What is that white thing she us sitting on behind her rock?

The white thing in the back is the shirt I was wearing last night when she fell asleep on me. I wrapped her in it last night. She seems to like it more than the basking rock now. I hope she doesn't poop on it! Maybe I should move the rock to that corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom