Overfeeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hi Everyone,

I am just curious but how does one know if you are overfeeding your beardie? Is there any particular signs/symptoms that would show this? Food for thought no pun intended :lol:

Permutation

Hatchling Member
From my experience, they are pretty good and stopping when they are full. I know an overweight beardie will have a hard time climbing things and their belly might drag somewhat.

I wouldn't worry about that too much as long as hes getting a variety of things.
And as an adult you only offer bugs 3 times a week, everything should be fine.

And don't be scared, babies will eat A LOT!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sub adult dragons in the 17-19" range that are still being fed twice a day [ or even once ] with 30-50 bugs at a time are definitely being over fed. And some owners do feed them that much and the dragons gobble it up. Once they are that size they stop needing large amounts of protein and once the are overweight it is VERY difficult for them to lose it. As was mentioned they have a much harder time climbing and become sedentary compared to healthy slimmer dragons.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok thanks guys. Also, since he is a juvi do you think he is eating too much based on the photos? Or does he look well nourished? I give him as many as he wants but i feel like i give too much because of his belly.

92311-8822420761.jpg
92311-5551835028.jpg
92311-5775240920.jpg

He really loves food :lol:
He also loves that rock as well.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Btw, i do feed him about 3 times a day morning, lunch and dinner times. I been feeding him crickets but got my shipment earlier today of dubias and nutrigrubs. I also offer him veggies and greens. Whatever he doesn't eat or want i throw them to the feeder bugs.

smackey2

Hatchling Member
He looks like a growing boy to me, but I am by no means an expert.
I know my little one is growing faster width wise than she is length wise. She is 12" right now, but quite chubby belly wise.
19510469_10211228706772620_7951900589837568070_n.jpg

My chubster about a week ago, give or take a few days. She is quite plump, belly wise. Haha.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Oh wow :eek:
She is such a cutie beardie :D How much does she eat? Looks like she does not missing the food train at all :lol:

smackey2

Hatchling Member
Haha. Definitely not. She will only eat twice a day. I offer 3Xs, but she always refuses, so just in the morning, around 10-15 medium dubias and roughly 8-12 in the evenings. It also depends on her moods a lot, too. This morning she only ate 10 for me before running off.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's possible to even let smaller dragons get a bit too much at once. If they get used to being totally stuffed it can become what they feel is normal. Just like kids can definitely eat too much and develop a bad pattern of being stuffed and end up overweight, so can dragons. Just be careful, a HUGE belly can be a sign that they're eating too much. I've had a few fatties along the way myself, it has to given attention before they get near maturity so they don't become overweight adults. :)

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks. That's what i was afraid of as well. I don't want him to be overweight but enough fed to where hes nourished and has the right balanced diet so to speak. I am going to ween off of the 3 times a day feeding and switch to twice a day. Plus i'll save a little money :lol: Easily spend 20 dollars a week on this guy. What do you think is reasonable amount for him? Hard to say since each beardie is differently? Its like humans, easy to pack on the lbs but hard to take them off. Probably worse for beardies since they are more sedentary.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No, your dragon is looking pretty good, not too fat of a belly. :) You can still offer multiple feedings, if anything just offer a few less bugs per feeding.

Smackey's dragon is getting a little buddha belly so could also use just a few less bugs per feeding, nothing drastic.

smackey2

Hatchling Member
Buddha belly? Interesting. I didn't think of that one.
I agree though. I do probably need to cut her back a little on her bugs as she is getting quite chunky. I hoped that she ate so much because she was having a growth spurt, but so far it hasn't happened.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Okay thanks. Hes got a very strong appetite which is good but also don't want to go overboard and make him overweight. I know right!!! The buddha belly dragon haha thats hilarious :lol: :lol:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Does he stay in the tank for a few hours after a big meal ? That's important in order to digest their big meals. Your dragons both look very alert + healthy. :)

And again, you don't need to do anything drastic, just a few less at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom