Baytril not clearing up respiratory issues

Beardie name(s)
Habanero
Hello everyone! So we have a new beardy who I learned wasn't breathing properly the first day we got him. I knew this because we had a beardy before that had respiratory issues and we spent many hours with the reptile vet. Anyways, took him to vet and while they weren't overly concerned, they gave him baytril but his symptoms still persist after being on it for 10 days. He breathes VERY heavily all the time, makes a popping sound and opens his mouth. No "coughing" and no fluid or discharge from nose or mouth and he's eating and active -- has normal routines. It's odd. Any insight? Likely will take him back for follow up but thought I would see if anyone has any experience here. He looks bit grumpy in this video but I swear he's generally a happy guy!

Attachments

• IMG_1379.mov
    2 MB
  • IMG_1413.jpg
    IMG_1413.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 37

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
Hmmmm not sure. Never had that problem with my Beardie yet. What's the tank setup? @Drache613 is our vet here she can help. I'll have others take a look.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please go over the surface basking temps how your getting them -- uvb coil or long tube fixture -- he doesn't look well

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Baytril is an antibiotic. It would only help a URI if the URI was caused by a bacteria. Many times URI's are caused by viruses; antibiotics would do nothing in these cases.

he's eating and active -- has normal routines.
That is 90% of the battle. If he's acting normal minus the breathing, I'd be inclined to just let him be and let his body fight off anything that may be effecting him.

I see your enclosure setup in your profile. What are you measuring your temperatures with? It might be worthwhile to try to keep the tank a bit warmer overnight (around 75-80) to help keep the metabolism and immune system running. Use a CHE if you're going to do this as any visible light will disturb their sleep.

-Brandon

khaylizardlady

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Habanero
Baytril is an antibiotic. It would only help a URI if the URI was caused by a bacteria. Many times URI's are caused by viruses; antibiotics would do nothing in these cases.

That is 90% of the battle. If he's acting normal minus the breathing, I'd be inclined to just let him be and let his body fight off anything that may be effecting him.

I see your enclosure setup in your profile. What are you measuring your temperatures with? It might be worthwhile to try to keep the tank a bit warmer overnight (around 75-80) to help keep the metabolism and immune system running. Use a CHE if you're going to do this as any visible light will disturb their sleep.

-Brandon
Hey Brandon! thanks! Ive got a heat emitter I leave on at night and his temps are good. Ive got a thermostat in the tank and a laser one. I'm wondering if its viral as well and hope it passes in time.

khaylizardlady

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Habanero
Please go over the surface basking temps how your getting them -- uvb coil or long tube fixture -- he doesn't look well
Basking temps on on point and I've got the best Arcadia UVB tube out there. He looks a little sad in that vid but I swear he's usually peppy. Think I woke him up haha he's an active pleasant fella generally and going through an awkward shed - why his colours are all weird.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How long have you had him?

If he's eating and moving around, he's likely not bothered too much. You mentioned he's new to you, it could just be an odd trait of his he's picked up, or learned to live with. Keep an eye on him for a week and then come back and update us on his progress. If things get worse of course, let us know.

He has healthy fat stores at the base of his tail and his head. He appears healthy and able to fight off any sickness he might have.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He does look good, weight wise. His eyes look good but he does seem to have some trouble with
his breathing.
Baytril is commonly used but as mentioned it depends on whether or not the infection is being caused
by a bacteria or not. If they weren't able to confirm a respiratory infection, it could be something else.
Try boosting his overnight temperatures with the ceramic heat emitter first to see if that helps. You can
try to increase his basking temperatures by a degree or two.
Have you tried using bee pollen to help with his immune system?

I hope he feels better soon.
Tracie

khaylizardlady

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Habanero
happy to report that today our friend did not open mouth breathe at all! He looks so m much more comfortable, especially after his shed cleared from his nostrils! We have two more days of baytril but maybe its viral and he just needs to fight it off. Under his shed, he's becoming this incredible bright orange colour. What a surprise! He is eating his veg and bugs and happy as a clam. So... I'm hopeful! Thanks everyone!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, that is a huge possibility that his nostrils being clogged from pre-shed was what was causing
a lot of the breathing issues. That is pretty common. I'm happy to hear he hasn't been open mouth
breathing today at all, so hopefully he will continue to improve now. At least he is almost done with
the Baytril, finally. That's great he is eating & his colors are brighter too....
He must be feeling a lot better now.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom