yeaimthm

I got my beardie a little over a week ago. i’m not sure the gender or the age. i have two different lights i use the first one is a 150W basking light and the second one is some type of night basking light. i’m not sure the wattage but i think it’s 100W. i turn on the night one right before i go to sleep. my beardie wont let me get close to them without them opening their mouth like i’m going to be prey or running away like i’m chasing them. As soon as i turn on the night light it’s like they become a whole different animal. letting me hold them and becoming oh so curious. i was just wondering why this could be? has anyone had this experience before? i don’t think it’s the day light heat, it’s 150W but it doesn’t get over 100° and i had a 100W bulb in there and they acted the same.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
From your post i think your lighting is all wrong. Babies need 105-110 degrees daytime. AND NO LIGHT AT NIGHT, ESPECIALLY COLORED LIGHTS. They want to sleep in the dark, if you need night time heat use a ceramic heat emitter please. You didn't mention uvb. Please no coils or compacts. Use a long linear tube. Arcadia or ZooMed are good. Your beardie will suffer and die a slow painful death without the uvb. Of can't digest food if the basking isn't right. Reach out to Karrieree @KarrieRee she is a whiz with lights.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
What is the uvb? PLEASE NO COILS! They are HEALTH HAZARDS to beardies. Also, no light at night and ESPECIALLY a red light. The red light can damage their eyesight. @KarrieRee will help with the right fixture

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I got my beardie a little over a week ago. i’m not sure the gender or the age. i have two different lights i use the first one is a 150W basking light and the second one is some type of night basking light. i’m not sure the wattage but i think it’s 100W. i turn on the night one right before i go to sleep. my beardie wont let me get close to them without them opening their mouth like i’m going to be prey or running away like i’m chasing them. As soon as i turn on the night light it’s like they become a whole different animal. letting me hold them and becoming oh so curious. i was just wondering why this could be? has anyone had this experience before? i don’t think it’s the day light heat, it’s 150W but it doesn’t get over 100° and i had a 100W bulb in there and they acted the same.
Temp in the tank at night should not be over 75- anything 65-75 is good and dragons prefer dark --- surface basking temps should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - after 6 months of age 95-100-- a good UVB is critical - it should be a long tube fixture for a 40 gallon + tank 24" fixture - Zoo Med w/ a 10.0 bulb or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb 24 watt or a Sunblaster Nano Tech w/ a Reptisun 10.0 bulb- if you need links for these please ask--------- NO colored bulbs at all - you need to find the right basking bulb wattage w/ a digital probe thermometer - please post a pic of the dragon so we can figure out a approx age -- your dragon is going thru relocation stress hes scared - please hand tame him first do not take him out of his tank right now - let him adjust and acclimate to his tank - we can help w/ pretty much everything for your dragon --- please ask -

yeaimthm

Original Poster
Temp in the tank at night should not be over 75- anything 65-75 is good and dragons prefer dark --- surface basking temps should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - after 6 months of age 95-100-- a good UVB is critical - it should be a long tube fixture for a 40 gallon + tank 24" fixture - Zoo Med w/ a 10.0 bulb or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb 24 watt or a Sunblaster Nano Tech w/ a Reptisun 10.0 bulb- if you need links for these please ask--------- NO colored bulbs at all - you need to find the right basking bulb wattage w/ a digital probe thermometer - please post a pic of the dragon so we can figure out a approx age -- your dragon is going thru relocation stress hes scared - please hand tame him first do not take him out of his tank right now - let him adjust and acclimate to his tank - we can help w/ pretty much everything for your dragon --- please ask -
This was a photo of him last night. i have this light on because i have a ceiling fan and i’m just scared it’s going to get too cold. Before i used the 150W (YES it is a UVB light i made sure both of them were before buying them.) i used the 100W and they let off the same temp? i changed it because i was worried about him not being warm enough and it never really changed. At night he goes under his rock stack (shown in the photo) and he explores his whole cage. I don’t think it’s anything with the temperature because if the temp is showing up as 90° then why would he be threatened as soon as it changes to the other light? i’ve also noticed he doesn’t like my overhead light. I try to keep it off as much as possible but sometimes it’s hard.

Attachments

• 1EE57EA7-004B-408A-819E-C91514140363.jpeg
    1EE57EA7-004B-408A-819E-C91514140363.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 58

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
They need/want dark at night. If he is to cool please get a ceramic heat emitter they put off heat without putting out light.
We are not trying to pick on you, we just want your beardie to thrive and you to have the best experience possible with it. Collectively we have dozens of years experience with beardies and we aren't guessing about the stuff we're saying. We have unfortunately seen first hand way to many times what happens when the lighting isn't exactly right. Beardies are hardy and will bounce back from other mistakes, but not from mistakes on the lighting. They suffer tremendously if the lighting isn't spot on. Please work with @KarrieRee to get it right. I promise you she won't stear you wrong.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
This was a photo of him last night. i have this light on because i have a ceiling fan and i’m just scared it’s going to get too cold. Before i used the 150W (YES it is a UVB light i made sure both of them were before buying them.) i used the 100W and they let off the same temp? i changed it because i was worried about him not being warm enough and it never really changed. At night he goes under his rock stack (shown in the photo) and he explores his whole cage. I don’t think it’s anything with the temperature because if the temp is showing up as 90° then why would he be threatened as soon as it changes to the other light? i’ve also noticed he doesn’t like my overhead light. I try to keep it off as much as possible but sometimes it’s hard.
Brand and bulb of the mvb please-- colored bulbs are bad for the eyes- what is your overhead light in the room?

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I agree with @xp29
I was in the store and someone advised me to get a red bulb in conversation. Just because they sell items, doesn't mean it's right. You're in the right place. We love, research and have a lot of experience with beardies as a whole so please, when it comes to the health of your beardie,listen. You have a baby so it's still in it's critical years of development.
You can do this and we are here with you~

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom