One year old smaller than others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fam0501

Hi everyone,

My bearded dragon is a year old and today I came across another “his age” that was doubled in size “obese looking”. Just wondering if mines is malnourished 🤷🏻‍♀️

Attachments

• 348B7D33-0BD4-4E6A-922A-44FAEF7C80E9.jpeg
    348B7D33-0BD4-4E6A-922A-44FAEF7C80E9.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 128

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi everyone,

My bearded dragon is a year old and today I came across another “his age” that was doubled in size “obese looking”. Just wondering if mines is malnourished 🤷🏻‍♀️
His tail looks a little bony on the base but not bad --- what are you feeding? And his lighting can you please go over it --- brand and bulb and where in the tank is the UVB?

Fam0501

Original Poster
Thanks for responding. I’m giving him fresh kale daily along with a mixture of dried worms and grasshoppers. I also give him once a week a few hornworms and about 20 crickets.

He lives in a 40 gallon tank. Basking light is mostly on one side. He has a double lamp with the UV light next to the basking light. I try to center it in the middle of the tank.

His basking light is Zoo med 150 watts repti basking spot lamp. Just replaced it 2 months ago after ? 6m.

The other light is Aiicioo UVB reptile light 10.0 UVB (26 watts)desert 150 spiral compact for bearded dragons. I just replaced this one month ago after having the other one in his tank for almost a year.

Fam0501

Original Poster
Thanks for responding. I’m giving him fresh kale daily along with a mixture of dried worms and grasshoppers. I also give him once a week a few hornworms and about 20 crickets.

He lives in a 40 gallon tank. Basking light is mostly on one side. He has a double lamp with the UV light next to the basking light. I try to center it in the middle of the tank.

His basking light is Zoo med 150 watts repti basking spot lamp. Just replaced it 2 months ago after ? 6m.

The other light is Aiicioo UVB reptile light 10.0 UVB (26 watts)desert 150 spiral compact for bearded dragons. I just replaced this one month ago after having the other one in his tank for almost a year.

Attachments

• 3B885F59-4CAB-4F04-80CB-1B09840F1C6F.jpeg
    3B885F59-4CAB-4F04-80CB-1B09840F1C6F.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 67

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)

Ok can I please recommend you get either a different coil UVB I dont recommend the coil but if you still want to use one a Reptisun 26 watt unobstructed approx 6-8 inches from the basking decor replaced every 6 months --- the one we recommend on this forum is either a Zoo Med fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you will need a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb or a 24" Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb --
the placement and distance for the fixtures will be determined by the screen on your tank
at this time your dragon is more than likely not getting enough UVB --- and this will cause all kinds of health issues -- please ask if you need more help

Fam0501

Original Poster
Ok can I please recommend you get either a different coil UVB I dont recommend the coil but if you still want to use one a Reptisun 26 watt unobstructed approx 6-8 inches from the basking decor replaced every 6 months --- the one we recommend on this forum is either a Zoo Med fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you will need a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb or a 24" Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb --
the placement and distance for the fixtures will be determined by the screen on your tank
at this time your dragon is more than likely not getting enough UVB --- and this will cause all kinds of health issues -- please ask if you need more help
Ok I’ll change his Lightning!! Anything to help him grow and stay healthy. 👼🏼 Thank you again!!

Fam0501

Original Poster
Ok, just bought what was recommended “ZooMed reptisun”. Should I buy a different lamp for the basking??

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Ok I’ll change his Lightning!! Anything to help him grow and stay healthy. 👼🏼 Thank you again!!
I cannot agree with this more.

It took me a minute, but I upgraded from a coul to the Arcadia Pro T5 12% bulb, and Thor eats salad like nobody's business! I struggled to get him to eat, even going so far as to make "salad dressing" for his greens. He now eats fresh greens (about a bunch a week) daily, and about 3-5 large hornworms a week, with as many BSFL he wants, which is about 70 a week. He also eats about 10 superworms a week. I'm gonna measure and weigh him again when I get home, but I think he's actually gotten a bit longer and a tad thicker in the middle. None of this was happening under the coil bulbs I used before.

Fam0501

Original Poster
I cannot agree with this more.

It took me a minute, but I upgraded from a coul to the Arcadia Pro T5 12% bulb, and Thor eats salad like nobody's business! I struggled to get him to eat, even going so far as to make "salad dressing" for his greens. He now eats fresh greens (about a bunch a week) daily, and about 3-5 large hornworms a week, with as many BSFL he wants, which is about 70 a week. He also eats about 10 superworms a week. I'm gonna measure and weigh him again when I get home, but I think he's actually gotten a bit longer and a tad thicker in the middle. None of this was happening under the coil bulbs I used before.
I just ordered the recommended Lighting. Now I’ll try your advice as well! I’ll have to get him some of the BSFL and hornworms to eat on a weekly basis. 😊

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your dragon is on the thin side but you want to just add a little extra food every day, not try to get him to gain weight real fast. An obese dragon is just more likely to develop health problems than a normal, thinner dragon.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok, just bought what was recommended “ZooMed reptisun”. Should I buy a different lamp for the basking??
If your basking light is a solid bright white you are good - examples would be Exo Terra intense basking bulb-- or zoo med repti basking bulb-- any bright solid white bulb-- you don't want daytime bulbs they have a coating on them called neoydium that's bad for the eyes or off white or yellowish bulbs-
Please post back when you get the fixture so we can help you place it for your tank

Last edited:

Fam0501

Original Poster
Your dragon is on the thin side but you want to just add a little extra food every day, not try to get him to gain weight real fast. An obese dragon is just more likely to develop health problems than a normal, thinner dragon.
Thank you 👼🏼

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom