Newish "adult" beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayewoods

Hello All :)

I had recently purchased an adult bearded dragon a few days ago. I named him Kyng due to him reminding me of King Kong, he's intimidating and acts crazy when you approach him but turns sweet when holding him lol. I have had one baby beardie 7 years ago but had to rehome him unfortunately and aside from him I have mainly had rescued water dragons. I have a few questions but I will firstly tell you about Kyngs enclosure. Hes currently in what I believe is a 50/55 gal with a mesh top. The exotic pet shop where I got him from had told me his diet consists of 75 percent greens/veggies and 25 percent crickets and superworms etc. (upon picking him up I noticed they didnt even have a uvb for him which i thought was odd) I have him in his 50/55 gal, I had him under a 150 watt Zoo Med basking spot but noticed him gaping alot so I decreased wattage to 75 watts same company Zoo med but havent changed the lights. He Has a Reptisun Terrarium hood T5 HO. I have these probe thermometers 3 to be exact bbut theyre all misreading. the highest temp they stated was 100.1 and then dropped down to 85.8-91.0 and I havent moved them. The cool side stays between 85 during the day and 75 at night. I sprinkle his crickts and dubai roaches with reptical, ive been feeding him once a day or every other day due to what they told me but I have questions about that. Hes easily half a lb i would say. he is long and looks about a year old. The first day I got him, before even driving out the parking lot he had watery diahrrhea and it was straight liquid. It seemed to solidify the next day and today its been more mushy and not water like since the first day, even with the smell and it also had urates in it so i was glad ;) Parasites possibly or his diet? Im trying to switch up his diet and got him some Collard greens, mustard greens, water melon, mango, green, red and orange bell peppers. He seems to like it. Am I doing something wrong? He seems adjusted enough to let me hold him and let him roam around. Any suggestions for his lighting, diet, temps overall everything in general? His bowels seem the most concerning at this point and I do realize his lighting and diet play factors in that. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get the temps adjusted basking 95-100-- taken w/ your digital probe thermometer - middle of tank 90's and cool side 80's - nite time not below 65- or above 75 --- your UVB needs to be inside the tank if a fine mesh screen -- 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - wide hole screen it can stay on top w/ the distance of 8-10 inches directly above --- him gaping is good hes adjusting his body temp --- place the probe on the spot hes sitting leave 10 min--- diet of fresh salads is good every day dusting the staple feeder every 2-3 days w/ calcium alternating w/ vitamins w / beta carotene as well - I would take a fecal in to the vet try finding a reptile vet www.arav.org if your in a small town type in a larger city your closest too --- but you do not want a ENEMA done on the dragon --- fecals can be taken in and test done for parasites --- crickets are famous for giving parasites - I would switch him over to dubias www.dubiaroaches.com -- you might want to eventually upgrade his tank to a 75-120 gallon tank -- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder-- you can use this stuff to hang the UVB fixture it works great its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around your fixture
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
If you need more help please ask

Jayewoods

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2ulpqo1v said:
Please get the temps adjusted basking 95-100-- taken w/ your digital probe thermometer - middle of tank 90's and cool side 80's - nite time not below 65- or above 75 --- your UVB needs to be inside the tank if a fine mesh screen -- 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - wide hole screen it can stay on top w/ the distance of 8-10 inches directly above --- him gaping is good hes adjusting his body temp --- place the probe on the spot hes sitting leave 10 min--- diet of fresh salads is good every day dusting the staple feeder every 2-3 days w/ calcium alternating w/ vitamins w / beta carotene as well - I would take a fecal in to the vet try finding a reptile vet http://www.arav.org if your in a small town type in a larger city your closest too --- but you do not want a ENEMA done on the dragon --- fecals can be taken in and test done for parasites --- crickets are famous for giving parasites - I would switch him over to dubias http://www.dubiaroaches.com -- you might want to eventually upgrade his tank to a 75-120 gallon tank -- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder-- you can use this stuff to hang the UVB fixture it works great its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around your fixture
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
If you need more help please ask

He has his uvb directly on his tank top. He typically sits directly under it && I’m not too sure how I can put it in his tank. It’s the strip Reptisun one && it seems to work magic, where can I get a thermometer? I’ve bought 3 && I’m trying to find an accurate one. I have a 150 watt basking bulb but was told if he’s gaping a lot it is too hot for him so I switched it out for a 75watt && can’t tell the difference really bc the temps don’t seem to be accurate. The cool side seems to be staying at 85 F during the day and 75F at night.still trying to upload the photos :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post ----
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/zoo-med-reptile-terrarium-digital-thermometer-14914.html?cgid=500202
What kind of probes are you using -- most people use these and they work good --- I have two in my tanks -- I also use a IR gun they do not work on hammocks tho --- only the probes -- stick ons are good for ambient temps only -- please put your 150 back in --- gaping is good -- please do not listen to the person that told you that - you want him gaping

Jayewoods

Original Poster
full

full

full

full

He’s quite active in && out of the tank. He likes to roam around my room && get himself into thinks. His color is getting darker as you can see, not sure if that’s him simply shedding because he was starting to shed when I got him a couple days ago. Do I put the 150 watt basking bulb back && take this 75watt out? I can’t tell because the three probed thermometers I did purchase seem to be off. Please keep in mind I am in the United States.

I had recently purchased an adult bearded dragon a few days ago. I named him Kyng due to him reminding me of King Kong, he's intimidating and acts crazy when you approach him but turns sweet when holding him lol. I have had one baby beardie 7 years ago but had to rehome him unfortunately and aside from him I have mainly had rescued water dragons. I have a few questions but I will firstly tell you about Kyngs enclosure. Hes currently in what I believe is a 50/55 gal with a mesh top. The exotic pet shop where I got him from had told me his diet consists of 75 percent greens/veggies and 25 percent crickets and superworms etc. (upon picking him up I noticed they didnt even have a uvb for him which i thought was odd) I have him in his 50/55 gal, I had him under a 150 watt Zoo Med basking spot but noticed him gaping alot so I decreased wattage to 75 watts same company Zoo med but havent changed the lights. He Has a Reptisun Terrarium hood T5 HO. I have these probe thermometers 3 to be exact bbut theyre all misreading. the highest temp they stated was 100.1 and then dropped down to 85.8-91.0 and I havent moved them. The cool side stays between 85 during the day and 75 at night. I sprinkle his crickts and dubai roaches with reptical, ive been feeding him once a day or every other day due to what they told me but I have questions about that. Hes easily half a lb i would say. he is long and looks about a year old. The first day I got him, before even driving out the parking lot he had watery diahrrhea and it was straight liquid. It seemed to solidify the next day and today its been more mushy and not water like since the first day, even with the smell and it also had urates in it so i was glad ;) Parasites possibly or his diet? Im trying to switch up his diet and got him some Collard greens, mustard greens, water melon, mango, green, red and orange bell peppers. He seems to like it. Am I doing something wrong? He seems adjusted enough to let me hold him and let him roam around. Any suggestions for his lighting, diet, temps overall everything in general? His bowels seem the most concerning at this point and I do realize his lighting and diet play factors in that. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks![/quote]

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your UVB is going to have an effect on his poops--- it looks like there is NO screen? am I correct? its hard to tell in the pic -- and yes I figured you were in the states --- I would get the Zoo Med probe thermometers -- dont know what your using now -- if there is no screen on the tank place the basking decor piece directly under the UVB 12-15 inches -- you dont need it in his tank if the screen is off -- work on getting his basking temps to 95-100 I am confused why your getting so many different readings w / the probe thermometers -

Jayewoods

Original Poster
quote="Jayewoods"]
full

full

full

full

He’s quite active in && out of the tank. He likes to roam around my room && get himself into thinks. His color is getting darker as you can see, not sure if that’s him simply shedding because he was starting to shed when I got him a couple days ago. Do I put the 150 watt basking bulb back && take this 75watt out? I can’t tell because the three probed thermometers I did purchase seem to be off. Please keep in mind I am in the United States.

I had recently purchased an adult bearded dragon a few days ago. I named him Kyng due to him reminding me of King Kong, he's intimidating and acts crazy when you approach him but turns sweet when holding him lol. I have had one baby beardie 7 years ago but had to rehome him unfortunately and aside from him I have mainly had rescued water dragons. I have a few questions but I will firstly tell you about Kyngs enclosure. Hes currently in what I believe is a 50/55 gal with a mesh top. The exotic pet shop where I got him from had told me his diet consists of 75 percent greens/veggies and 25 percent crickets and superworms etc. (upon picking him up I noticed they didnt even have a uvb for him which i thought was odd) I have him in his 50/55 gal, I had him under a 150 watt Zoo Med basking spot but noticed him gaping alot so I decreased wattage to 75 watts same company Zoo med but havent changed the lights. He Has a Reptisun Terrarium hood T5 HO. I have these probe thermometers 3 to be exact bbut theyre all misreading. the highest temp they stated was 100.1 and then dropped down to 85.8-91.0 and I havent moved them. The cool side stays between 85 during the day and 75 at night. I sprinkle his crickts and dubai roaches with reptical, ive been feeding him once a day or every other day due to what they told me but I have questions about that. Hes easily half a lb i would say. he is long and looks about a year old. The first day I got him, before even driving out the parking lot he had watery diahrrhea and it was straight liquid. It seemed to solidify the next day and today its been more mushy and not water like since the first day, even with the smell and it also had urates in it so i was glad ;) Parasites possibly or his diet? Im trying to switch up his diet and got him some Collard greens, mustard greens, water melon, mango, green, red and orange bell peppers. He seems to like it. Am I doing something wrong? He seems adjusted enough to let me hold him and let him roam around. Any suggestions for his lighting, diet, temps overall everything in general? His bowels seem the most concerning at this point and I do realize his lighting and diet play factors in that. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks![/quote][/quote]

Two are from zoo med && the other one I got from the brand Meric from Amazon. Does he look sick? Any thoughts on how I have him set up? I’m looking on Amazon for a thermometer so any suggestions? I’m putting the 150 watt bulb back in now.

Jayewoods

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1jmfu7bq said:
Your UVB is going to have an effect on his poops--- it looks like there is NO screen? am I correct? its hard to tell in the pic -- and yes I figured you were in the states --- I would get the Zoo Med probe thermometers -- dont know what your using now -- if there is no screen on the tank place the basking decor piece directly under the UVB 12-15 inches -- you dont need it in his tank if the screen is off -- work on getting his basking temps to 95-100 I am confused why your getting so many different readings w / the probe thermometers -

Okay, that makes completes sense. I have a mesh cover l, the top that came w the tank. It’s black and has multiple holes on it. I will take a photo of the thermometers I’m using && will upload. I switched the bulbs && currently his basking spot is reading 96.8 && the probe is sitting near his left foot. I’m not sure, possibly due to placing perhaps?? When I got him a couple days ago he didn’t even have a uvb he just had a basking bulb. No water in the tank && just a log, they were putting greens in his bowl. They said he was theee weeks. I went to get crickets today and the lady in reptile section told me if he’s gaping to switch wattage of bulbs. I’m returning tomorrow thank you so much for your assistance. Should I be doing anything else? Am I doing something wrong? I will upload more photos.

Jayewoods

Original Poster
full

full

full

full

full

Jayewoods":27b0ucp1 said:
KarrieRee":27b0ucp1 said:

Okay, that makes completes sense. I have a mesh cover l, the top that came w the tank. It’s black and has multiple holes on it. I will take a photo of the thermometers I’m using && will upload. I switched the bulbs && currently his basking spot is reading 96.8 && the probe is sitting near his left foot. I’m not sure, possibly due to placing perhaps?? When I got him a couple days ago he didn’t even have a uvb he just had a basking bulb. No water in the tank && just a log, they were putting greens in his bowl. They said he was theee weeks. I went to get crickets today and the lady in reptile section told me if he’s gaping to switch wattage of bulbs. I’m returning tomorrow thank you so much for your assistance. Should I be doing anything else? Am I doing something wrong? I will upload more photos.

These are all fresh photos I just took about a min ago. The temps are creeping up since putting the 150watt back in. The yellow thermometer is on the cool side && the black thermometer is the basking spot. He’s laying there under the hammock gaping. When should gaping be considered a problem? I know if he’s hot he will move but since putting his hammock in he hasn’t used it. He used the other mini black one on the cool side but not the gargantuan one. I get he’s still getting adjusted being in his new home but his behavior is crazy as well. He’s been moving his water dish around as if he was in jail working out LOL. He is extremely active in the tank as well as out but while in the tank he will run hop move his water dish && beyond. Should I be alarmed? He has diarrhea but is still eating up a storm.
Does he look healthy to you? Does his color bring any concerned?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The temp is good of 97- so floor temp is going to be cooler than right under the bulb -- you may haft to adjust down to a 100 watt and see where the temps ends up-- and yes you want him gaping - hes going to go to the spot he likes for temp to bask -- he looks good -- as far as stools I would get a fecal into the vet - call ask if you can drop off a fecal for the dragon to test for parasites -- runny smelly poop is a good sign of parasites --- yes dont listen to the pet store people--- and its usually trial end error w/ basking bulbs --

Jayewoods

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1nizd0f5 said:
The temp is good of 97- so floor temp is going to be cooler than right under the bulb -- you may haft to adjust down to a 100 watt and see where the temps ends up-- and yes you want him gaping - hes going to go to the spot he likes for temp to bask -- he looks good -- as far as stools I would get a fecal into the vet - call ask if you can drop off a fecal for the dragon to test for parasites -- runny smelly poop is a good sign of parasites --- yes dont listen to the pet store people--- and its usually trial end error w/ basking bulbs --

His current basking temp is 98.8 && is that going to be wxpenseive to drop off stool? Any suggestions where I could go?

Jayewoods

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1or4i5ub said:

Also he’s been sitting in the same spot with his mouth open for an hour now.. that’s normal?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not sure that long- does he have any heavy breathing going on? Mucous out of nose or lots of saliva?

Jayewoods

Original Poster
KarrieRee":dccrx44h said:
Not sure that long- does he have any heavy breathing going on? Mucous out of nose or lots of saliva?

No. None of that. I just took a shower and came back he was still gaping in the same spot so I sprayed him and now he’s still in the same spot but he’s not gaping. His lights are due to shut off in half an hour. He’s just sitting there.

Jayewoods

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2xtwn2aw said:

Also if he has a very good appetite && is extremely active && not lethargic would that still indicate parasites due to the smell && consistency of his stools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom