Newish "adult" beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayewoods

Original Poster
His color is getting dark. I just tested positive for Covid && I fear I’m getting him suck so I have reduced my handling a bit. Still feed him && he still has an appetite however about a couple hours after I fed him a few crickets and a Dubai I think he threw up then ate it. Is his diet off? The exotic ship I got him from were quite confusing with his lifestyle bc there were too many chieves not enough Indians.. so many people handling him. They said he eats 75 percent greens and 25 percent crickets and Dubai’s and doesn’t eat often but he is big. I have been feeding him greens everyday && every other day been dusting crickets and Dubai worms with super worms. Am I dusting too much? I’m sorry I just don’t want to kill him or get him sick & me being quarantined I’m ordering things online for him daily and I think I’m doing the most a tad bit over reacting but that’s my baby girl! He was shedding around his neck but then ate it. Why do their colors darken or is that due to shedding? Basking is at 94 && night temps are 75. He is still active. Thank you for your help ?? you’ve been deemed my go to with all my questions :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please increase basking temps 95-100- I don't have idea if dragons get covid- yes they can get dark when shedding- post a pic of him please

Jayewoods

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2jod5n7t said:
Please increase basking temps 95-100- I don't have idea if dragons get covid- yes they can get dark when shedding- post a pic of him please

He’s under a zoo med 100 watt basking bulb with temp of 94/95. His cool side is 75. A few days ago he was glass surfing so I took him out and let him run around my room for an hour or so. He is still active in his tank and outside but since being diagnosed with Covid I haven’t handled him a lot. I fear of getting him sick. He has no breathing issues, no mucus, he still poops the same but just not as frequently, I have switched up his diet with mustard greens, pineapple,watermelon, green && yellow bell pepper but I only give him a variety of 3 at a time. Currently he has dandilion, yellow peppper and mango in his dish. I never seem to catch him eating it anymore he seems uninterested and only wants crickets. I ordered some online an hour ago. Also, what other tips could you give me or where do you get your crickets from? I’m trying to start a colony or just keep the ones I get alive. Currrntly, my room gets his tank at 75 at night so I don’t have anything on during the night.

full

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He's going into shed- I would get him some other greens like collards kale or turnip and lay off the green peppers- pineapple and watermelon- those are all hydrating which is good but too much can give watery stools- nightime temp is good but during the day cool side should be in the 80's- I would switch him over to dubias roaches- they are a better feeder and easier to keep- order them on line www.dubiaroaches.com- if you can get them I will tell you how to set them up- and keep them

Jayewoods

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1tfo5z2u said:
He's going into shed- I would get him some other greens like collards kale or turnip and lay off the green peppers- pineapple and watermelon- those are all hydrating which is good but too much can give watery stools- nightime temp is good but during the day cool side should be in the 80's- I would switch him over to dubias roaches- they are a better feeder and easier to keep- order them on line http://www.dubiaroaches.com- if you can get them I will tell you how to set them up- and keep them

How would I go about getting the cool side to 80? I have a 100 watt && 150 watt should I put the 150 watt back in? He’s in a 55 gal. I ordered 120 crickets. I have a 20 gal tubberware container I plan on housing them in, I have some egg crates, flukers orange cube complete cricket food, cotton balls to dampen && just ordered coconut fiber for bedding.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I dont keep crickets and I never have check the feeder board and see what you can find there - your going to loose alot of those crickets they dont last long - where is the 100 watt bulb -- you need to keep an eye on the basking temps how are you taking the cool side temp?

Jayewoods

Original Poster
KarrieRee":25xez5qr said:
I dont keep crickets and I never have check the feeder board and see what you can find there - your going to loose alot of those crickets they dont last long - where is the 100 watt bulb -- you need to keep an eye on the basking temps how are you taking the cool side temp?

You only feed yours Dubai’s? I thought too many Dubai’s were bad for them? Damn I just spent 60 on them. I have three probes currently the extra probe is in the middle. I never move the them. The 100 watt is his basking bulb that’s on during the day. I took out the 150 watt bc he was gaping a lot and temps got to 110 on the basking side. I also have a 100 watt red night light. Can you take a pic of your set up and probe placements?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get rid of the red bulb ASAP-- they are harmful to the eyes and can cause long term eye damage- if your dragon was gaping that's good means he was adjusting his body temp- 110 is good nothing higher- you want a probe on the cool side of the tank side wall one in the middle of the tank if you have a piece of decor there place the probe on it and one on the basking decor under basking light- yes I feed dubias no crickets my dragons get dubias 2-3 times per week and fresh salads every day w/ super worms and horn worms as treats- supers every few days or so horns when I have them I will post pic of tank tomorrow--- you need temps in the tank at night 65-75 a stick on is ok for that -
97951-5052858260.jpg

Jayewoods

Original Poster
KarrieRee":si8gwhg5 said:
Please get rid of the red bulb ASAP-- they are harmful to the eyes and can cause long term eye damage- if your dragon was gaping that's good means he was adjusting his body temp- 110 is good nothing higher- you want a probe on the cool side of the tank side wall one in the middle of the tank if you have a piece of decor there place the probe on it and one on the basking decor under basking light- yes I feed dubias no crickets my dragons get dubias 2-3 times per week and fresh salads every day w/ super worms and horn worms as treats- supers every few days or so horns when I have them I will post pic of tank tomorrow--- you need temps in the tank at night 65-75 a stick on is ok for that -
97951-5052858260.jpg

Thank you so much! Your set up looks phenomenal! I havent out the red light in but I will put the 150 watt back in. I also wondered how to place the probes && you showed me! Okay I have one yellow one like yours and two black ones from meric. How often should I be feeding him? I just purchased the crickets and it’s clear they won’t last so I will be at witching his diet when these crickets run out.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your dragon needs insects 2-3 times per week w/ fresh salads everyday - the red bulb needs to go now- the 150 watt can be used as long as temps are NOT OVER 110- its good to offer a gradient heat that gives different basking spots for him to sit 95-100-- I also use a IR gun as well -- --- you only need heat at night if your temp in the tank is falling below 65 ---- and you do not want temps over 75 at nite --- dragons like it cool and dark it helps metabolize their systems for good sleep --- also colored bulbs hurts their eyes and keeps them awake all night --- stick ons can be used for ambient temps only --- the black reader you see is a humidity gauge -- please get a digital probe hygrometer for your tank --- Exo Terra sells them place the probe on the back wall of the tank it will read the whole tank -- optimal humidity is 25-50% - you dont want it under 20 and over 70% - I recommend you get dubia roaches they are going to last longer as the wont eat as many - since hes a adult he can eat large - ex large --- I would get roaches going pet stores are hard to rely on especially in winter - I can post websites for insects if you like along w/ worms
Here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
You want him eating a balance of fresh greens / insects and worms --

Jayewoods

Original Poster
KarrieRee":m10b7o8y said:
Your dragon needs insects 2-3 times per week w/ fresh salads everyday - the red bulb needs to go now- the 150 watt can be used as long as temps are NOT OVER 110- its good to offer a gradient heat that gives different basking spots for him to sit 95-100-- I also use a IR gun as well -- --- you only need heat at night if your temp in the tank is falling below 65 ---- and you do not want temps over 75 at nite --- dragons like it cool and dark it helps metabolize their systems for good sleep --- also colored bulbs hurts their eyes and keeps them awake all night --- stick ons can be used for ambient temps only --- the black reader you see is a humidity gauge -- please get a digital probe hygrometer for your tank --- Exo Terra sells them place the probe on the back wall of the tank it will read the whole tank -- optimal humidity is 25-50% - you dont want it under 20 and over 70% - I recommend you get dubia roaches they are going to last longer as the wont eat as many - since hes a adult he can eat large - ex large --- I would get roaches going pet stores are hard to rely on especially in winter - I can post websites for insects if you like along w/ worms
Here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
You want him eating a balance of fresh greens / insects and worms --

Okay, I haven’t had the red night bulb in there since buying it, he’s been sleeping w nothing bc the temps get don’t drop lower than 71 at night. He seems to be glass surfing a lot and I’m not sure if that due to shedding or his tank. The tank He was in at the shop was a 20 gal, he’s now in a 55 but I guess that might be too small if he’s glass surfing? Also Where did you get your tank? I’m looking to upgrade his.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The glass surfing could be caused by a lot of things --- incorrect basking temps UVB incorrect or not placed properly - tank is too small - tank is too hot --- to find out the cause we need to rule out each thing I mentioned ---- post a pic of the tank so we can see it please --- my tank is a Zen Habitat made w/ PVC - it is very light - www.zenhabitat.com -- you can look at https://carolinadesignerdragons.com/ these are heavy as they are made of glass ---
https://apcages.com/ I do not know of anyone ordering from here --
https://talkingserpents.com/ same here dont know of any that has gotten a tank from here
Dubia roaches is now selling tanks --- can get into the site right now --- www.dubiaroaches.com scroll to the bottom of the landing page and make sure you read everything about the tank --- they are a 4x2x2 --- the Zens are 4x2x2 the only thing I dont like about the Zens is the doors are plexiglass and scratch easily but other than that they are a nice tank -- I have replaced the doors w/ glass and they are heavy ---

Jayewoods

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1ug976tm said:
The glass surfing could be caused by a lot of things --- incorrect basking temps UVB incorrect or not placed properly - tank is too small - tank is too hot --- to find out the cause we need to rule out each thing I mentioned ---- post a pic of the tank so we can see it please --- my tank is a Zen Habitat made w/ PVC - it is very light - http://www.zenhabitat.com -- you can look at https://carolinadesignerdragons.com/ these are heavy as they are made of glass ---
https://apcages.com/ I do not know of anyone ordering from here --
https://talkingserpents.com/ same here dont know of any that has gotten a tank from here
Dubia roaches is now selling tanks --- can get into the site right now --- http://www.dubiaroaches.com scroll to the bottom of the landing page and make sure you read everything about the tank --- they are a 4x2x2 --- the Zens are 4x2x2 the only thing I dont like about the Zens is the doors are plexiglass and scratch easily but other than that they are a nice tank -- I have replaced the doors w/ glass and they are heavy ---

There’s a cover that the lights are sitting on that you cannot see in the pic. His basking light && reptissun sit on that.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
As I stated in my previous post if the UVB is a T 5 and the screen is a wide hole it can stay on top if not then the UVB needs to be unobstructed ---- the screen is going to block 30% of the UVB rays and you do not want that----- please take the screen off or pull it forward so the screen is half on and the UVB is shining directly down w/ a piece of basking decor 12-15 inches under it ---- if the screen is a wide hole basking decor needs to be 8-10 inches under it ---- this is a good reason why his poops are so runny ---- please adjust accordingly --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom