New feeder!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

definitions

Juvie Member
the link just says fly larvae.. I would be careful and make sure they arent just plain old fly maggots. lol you could be feeding your dragons and geckos house fly maggots.

definitions":1u4epbfi said:
the link just says fly larvae.. I would be careful and make sure they arent just plain old fly maggots. lol you could be feeding your dragons and geckos house fly maggots.

Would there be something wrong with that? I imagine that in the wild dragons and geckos probably aren't too choosy about the species of fly they consume...

momohobobobo

Hatchling Member
gtramontelli":6k4sxiy4 said:
definitions":6k4sxiy4 said:

Would there be something wrong with that? I imagine that in the wild dragons and geckos probably aren't too choosy about the species of fly they consume...

Thats very true. It doesn't matter. The greater the variety of bugs being eaten the better. Imagine trying to survive on just beef and one type of vegetable all your life. And they're blue bottle flies anyway

definitions

Juvie Member
well considering the fact that house fly maggots and flies aren't created in the cleanest environments. They carry allot of bacteria. my guy has eaten a house fly .. one actually flew in his viv . it was pretty trippy.

momohobobobo

Hatchling Member
definitions":2jzuhn92 said:
well considering the fact that house fly maggots and flies aren't created in the cleanest environments. They carry allot of bacteria. my guy has eaten a house fly .. one actually flew in his viv . it was pretty trippy.

yeah it seems that a lot of them love flies. I actually decided to just let my larvae turn into flies because he likes them WAY more that way. Plus its really fun to watch him pretty much do backflips while trying to catch them in mid air. Whats really amazing is how good they are at catching them. Mine gets them on the first time almost every time. Maybe flies are a big part of their natural diet and its sort of built into them. It would make sense, its a meal that never goes away

I am just about finishing my first 500ct, and I have already ordered a 1000ct of these feeders. My bd will eat about 30 of these in a few minutes-she sits at the bowl like a dog and just mows them down. I am giving her 2 of these feedings/day, dusted with calcium. Also, she is eating her greens. I swear she has grown at least 2 inches in the 3 weeks I've had her. Overall I'm very happy with these, but I need to keep an eye on her weight as her belly seems much larger. Maybe she was skinny when I first got her.

I may have mentioned this in another post, but I found a great and inexpensive way to keep these guys in one spot. Petco sells "Lee's mealworm dishes" for like 3 bucks. I had a few escapees at first, which all managed to turn into bottle flies. This was hardly a problem, as my bd seemed to actually prefer eating the flies. However I will keep feeding the larvae as it allows me to better monitor how many she is eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom