New Beardie!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey everyone I'm sorry for asking so many questions, I just want to make sure everything is okay with Tokyo. So I'm beginning to run out if crickets so I was gonna order some dubias. How many dubias should i feed Tokyo in one meal? About how many should he eat per day?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
With out knowing his age its going to vary on insects-- if hes an adult he should only be getting insects 2-3 times per week - if hes a baby/ juvie up to a year every day --- are you feeding salads? He will do better on dubias --- here is a website for dubias and silk worms and superworms-www.reptilianarts.com --- I would order all three - if you order the bulk make sure you get food to feed them -- www.reptilianarts.com my go to website for dubias is currently not shipping dubias -- I have not ordered dubias from here but the silk worms are nice -- they are another staple feeder so you can feed both -- if you have a 10 gallon aquarium or plastic tote you can keep the dubias in there and feed dubia chow or things you feed your dragon -- they are not too keen on greens they love squash and fruits and carrots -- if your feeding carrots to your dragon do not feed the roaches carrots too much Vit A - I would feed the roaches carrots its good for hydration and not the dragon --- the containers of the silk worms need to be cleaned out every day and fed every day -- you might need to let them grow out a little bit but they are a nice worm to feed--- depending on the size of the dubia which should not be bigger than him or the size between his eyes or there abouts -- I usually order around 200 at a time --- my older dragon does not eat them all the time but my younger one is eating them every day - I have two sizes in my 10 gallon one size for my older dragon and one size that my younger one -- he is around 10 1/2 months and between the silk worms super worms horn worms salad and dubias hes eating around 5-6 dubias once / day
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yeah that seems to be that issue w/ alot them -- add your silk supers 1-3 on top if his salads every morning - do it front of him to get his attention - draw him to the bowl then after awhile add his dubias to that glass or ceramic bowl-- leave some salad in that bowl so he's eating it too- try that
Karrie

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So today I let Tokyo out of his enclosure and he wanted to run. I wasn't sure whether this is a problem or if it's just normal beardie curiousity. He didn't have any stress marks, I didn't put my hand above his "third eye," nothing was wrong. But still, he tried to run away to the point where it felt like he was willing to jump straight out of my hands! Is something wrong?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
They like to run that is for sure- unless you have a good secure area no other animals and can beardie proof meaning you don't want him under stuff you can't get to him I would not let him out--- you can use pillows to block areas off etc... When they are little they can get under stuff you don't want them -- like computer tables etc
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
zachburnav":30lgf7xi said:
So today I let Tokyo out of his enclosure and he wanted to run. I wasn't sure whether this is a problem or if it's just normal beardie curiousity. He didn't have any stress marks, I didn't put my hand above his "third eye," nothing was wrong. But still, he tried to run away to the point where it felt like he was willing to jump straight out of my hands! Is something wrong?
Ours does that all the time. Sometimes she barely lets us hold her. She's 5 months.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey everyone. Is it correct that I'm supposed to dust Tokyo's food once a day for 5 days with calcium/d3, and vitamins once a day for 2 days?? Also today I spent a lot of time watching him and he mostly lays around on his log for most of the day and when he doesnt notice me or other movement his eyes become slightly squinted. I read that a beardie's eyes should look alert if they're healthy.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That is normal behavior for the eyes mine do it all the time- and yes to the supplements
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, just want to chime in about the supplements. As a beardie gets older you can switch from using calcium with D3 to without D3 a couple times a week. So 2 days with, 2 days without. Too much D3 can be toxic. So it's good to buy both kinds of calcium powder + alternate. Only use it lightly, same with the vitamins. We don't want the food items to look like powdered donuts, that's giving too much of the supplement.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
AHBD":2bunvxbd said:
Hi there, just want to chime in about the supplements. As a beardie gets older you can switch from using calcium with D3 to without D3 a couple times a week. So 2 days with, 2 days without. Too much D3 can be toxic. So it's good to buy both kinds of calcium powder + alternate. Only use it lightly, same with the vitamins. We don't want the food items to look like powdered donuts, that's giving too much of the supplement.
Oh man - when we were feeding crickets, we shook them in a baggie and they were so white my husband called them ghost crickets. Glad I read this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom