Need some info for 1st time geckos owner..

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgleRpets

Sub-Adult Member
Aznrainbowdime":ae164 said:
Lol.. see.. I knew I'd have more questions.

How big do they get ? Also, OGLERPET... if I choose not to get a leopard gecko, but a different kind, does it fall under the same care as well as leopards ? OR do each kind have special care guides ?

Each kind of geckos have some similarities and some differences in their care and a few are each end of the spectrum. I'd honestly say to look at online images and find the kind of gecko you want for sure and then go from there. :mrgreen:

Bellalee

Juvie Member
OgleRpets":62fa9 said:
Just know that tokay geckos in my opinion while very pretty are known to be very mean.

Also because they are usually wild caught. :(

Aznrainbowdime: Only thing I would watch out for is sketchy breeders. Geckos are kind of fragile, much more than beardies. I've seen some of the geckos at shows and some of the places scares me. Just like beardies they might sell them too young, or they may be infected. While it may suck to spend more money trust me geckos from good breeders thrive.

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks guys !! Aaahh so much to choose from ! But based on the inputs you guys provided,.. they seem easier to manage and take care of unlike beardies. Well, you know how beardies you have to deal with getting the right lights, temps, etc. I'll start searching around for good breeders then :D

Bellalee

Juvie Member
Sin City Geckos, although they may have some radical morphs (cool colors and bloodlines) and they may be expensive.
http://www.sincitygecko.com/cart/

JMG is one of the best breeders out there.
http://jmgreptile.com/

Gecko Ect. Steve Sykes is also top of the chain.
http://www.geckosetc.com/

Your gecko guy is decent.
http://www.yourgeckoguy.com/

Tangerine Gecko.
http://www.tangerinegecko.com/

Darn girl you got all the good breeders going there!!

Honestly if the geckos look fat and vibrant your good to go! If you get a leopard usually the brighter the better unless they are supposed to be that way. When they don't get enough heat they get dark indicative of bad husbandry. If they are young they won't have huge fat tails but still they will be plump.

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Wow Rachel.. lol.. thanks alot !! Let me start looking !! hehehehehehehehe me so excited !!!!!! :mrgreen: :blob8: :mrgreen: :blob5: :blob8:

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Just wanted to say that leos are awesome and great first time geckos :D

enjoy your pet
sara

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Also, WOW on some of those gecko links!! My next gecko is coming from one of them!

I especially like JMG
Sara

DragonsInKansas

Sub-Adult Member
Beware, geckos are just as addictive as beardies, only with their easier care requirements its even easier to get sucked in!! (I'm hoping to pick up 1 or 2 more cresteds tomorrow at a show, woo hoo)

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah those links are AWESOME !!!!!! I can already tell they'll be 'addicting'.. especially they don't require big tanks like beardies !! hehehehee. I'm also looking into Savannah Monitors... I know they grow to be really big, and wit already 2 beardies now, my 1 bedroom teeny tiny apt already feel crowded ! But have you seen their faces !?!? AND BABIEs ??? AARRGGHH !!

I'M BEING ATTACKED BY CUTENESS OF SCALY BABIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT... I must stick to geckos ! Since I already have the tank, heating pad, etc !

Bellalee

Juvie Member
Lol omg.. savannah monitors are getting to me.. I read a story about someone who took their monitor to mcdonalds gave them a burger then the poor thing had to keep running to the bathroom!!! They sound adorable but when they get older, they require like an 8x8x8 Enclosure, and like 6 feet of digging substrate. Way too much work from me! I just like looking at them.

Geckos are addicting, but I have to say if I would have gotten a beardie before all this I would of never stocked up on geckos. :) They are easy to take care of not to mention there are some STUNNING ones. Each one has it's own personality.

I have a drawer type thing where I keep 3 geckos whenever I open this one drawer, Akron, will come out of his hide and stare at me. And then try to get out. He has escaped 2 times, once to be found scurrying the floor god knows how long. And the other time missing from the cage and an intense search for him. He now has what we call an Akrotainor. It's working thus far. :lol:

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
How cute !! Yeah.. I've been you tubing savannah monitors.. the babies are soo cute.. and even the adult ones still have cute faces ! OH ! Another request I have... do you by any hcance have a picture for your geckos vivs ?? Just curious on the set up :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rollerboy
Top Bottom