Need some info for 1st time geckos owner..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
hehehe.. So I have an empty tank syndrome.. but it's only a 10 gallon. Since I already have 2 beardies, and don't plan on getting another one until I can afford a bigger tank,,... I'm looking at Geckos (going to reptile show next week)

Would they be ok in a 10 gallon ?

Now.. I have NO KNOWLEDGE what so ever on geckos. Yes, I'm doing my homework, but since I trust this site soo soo much with a passion, I need help on basic care guide/ set up / food on geckos. All your input would be appreciated !! Thanks

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Lol I don't even know what kind to be honest with you.. I think they're all cute !!!! hehehehe. I want colorful ones !! I like leopard geckos but I heard they're mean ????

Bellalee

Juvie Member
Did you get a chance to look at my leopards?? Not all of them are mean, you need to get them used to you.

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Bellalee":257a5 said:
Did you get a chance to look at my leopards?? Not all of them are mean, you need to get them used to you.

Let me look now ! :mrgreen:

Oh by the way.. do you know if there is a careseheet guide somewhere in here I can read up on geckos ?? I really don't wanna google it... afraid I may get the wrong info lol

Bellalee

Juvie Member
for leopard geckos i could probably give you all the info you would need, and a forum like this where I pretty much learned everything.

Leopard geckos can live in a 10 or 20 gallon, I had 1 female in a 40 and she was ok with it. They need an under the tank heater put on one side of the tank. The heat usually is pretty good when you make sure the UTH is sized with the tank. You want a temp of 90-96 temp on the pad. Cool side 78-85, temps can be lower at night.. with a warm side of about 70ish. I don't use a regulator for my UTH and it works pretty well. They need belly heat to properly digest their food. You don't want to use sand just beardies, they lick everything also. 3 hides are also used one over the heat pad, one on the cool side and a moist hide that can be put either on the warm or the cool side. I just use a tupperware container with a door cut in it with the top on. I put a paper towel in their and moisten it as much as I can but make sure to moisten it when they are going into a shed. They get light colored and really dull. They can have big time shedding issues. The moist hide helps them with that, and they usually eat their shed, you rarely see it so it's less disgusting than it seems. A dish with calcium without D3 should be kept in the tank at all times. I use the cover of a spegghetti jar and it works perfectly. The leopards will regulated their own intake of the calcium, they will lick it like a salt lick. As for lights you can use a light to regulate the day/night schedule but no real speciality light.

They do need a water dish in their enclosure which I put water in every other day or so. You'll rarely see them drink water either. Feeding is once a day for young juvies, and every other day or so for older adults, some lg eat all the food, and some don't. You can feed the adults crickets (but take them out like a beardie), super worms, mealworms, silkies, pw, dubia also. My adult lg's can take down an adult male dubia just fine. Juvies honestly will only eat what they know they can eat, when mine are about 20 grams they can eat large crickets, and superworms. Wax worms are to be used as a treat just like beardies :). I have a bowl where the meal worms and superworms can get out, superworms.. ugh.. I don't like the fact when they get out there is a potential of them eating a whole in the lg. I watch my dubias because they can hide. Leopards also don't really like to eat in a seperate container so thats kind of a pain. Feeders need to be dusted when fed with multi vitamins and calcium w/d3.

Hm.. they will usually poop in one corner you can spot clean everyday or just clean at the end of the week. It doesn't smell.
What else would you like to know? I have a plethora of knowledge lol.. :D

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for all the info guys!

VERY NICE RACHEL !!! So they don't need UVB light like beardies ? Just regular basking/housebulb light ? UTH.. perfect !! I have one under the 10 gal tank already (thats why I moved my beardie). Can I house two geckos in the same viv ?
Do they eat or need veggies as beardies do ? Wehn you say you put a dish of calcium.. does that mean I don't have to dust the crickets ?

Hmm.. let see what else what else... OH ! Do they need to be handled like beardies ? Well, I know at least mine NEED to be handled or she'll go on a food and poop strike. lol .

How about baths ??

I can't think of anything else but I"m sure more questions will come up. Thanks again !

ThyDemise

Hatchling Member
a gargoyle would be perfect in ten gal :D gargs are just like cresteds, they dont need lights or heat, just room temp and they can live their whole lives on crested gecko diet. leos are awesome, we usually house the babies in a ten but find they become alot more active when we switch them to a 20. it took us more time for them to chill out than our beardies, but each of our leos are super calm and friendly, if they see us messin around by the cage theyll usually come walkin over to the door and look at you to see whats goin on

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Lol.. see.. I knew I'd have more questions.

How big do they get ? Also, OGLREPET... if I choose not to get a leopard gecko, but a different kind, does it fall under the same care as well as leopards ? OR do each kind have special care guides ?

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
ThyDemise":f65ac said:
a gargoyle would be perfect in ten gal :D gargs are just like cresteds, they dont need lights or heat, just room temp and they can live their whole lives on crested gecko diet. leos are awesome, we usually house the babies in a ten but find they become alot more active when we switch them to a 20. it took us more time for them to chill out than our beardies, but each of our leos are super calm and friendly, if they see us messin around by the cage theyll usually come walkin over to the door and look at you to see whats goin on

Gargs /Crested... don't need lights ?? At all ???? Or no heat ? They'll be ok digesting their food ?? Would it be ok to house two together ? Would they show dominance issue ?

ThyDemise

Hatchling Member
they do not require heat (granted they cant be kept too cold either) but 70-80 is ideal. they dont tolerate heat well either, so keeping it below 80-85 is important. as with any animal housing more than one male is a bad idea, and housing a male and a female will result in most likely overbreeding or at least a very stressed female. two females are usually ok, but gargs can be more aggressive towards each other so its something to keep an eye on and have the option to separate available at any time. gargs are also a bit higher priced than cresteds. they both have very similar care and both can live off CGD, but there are many other types of geckos and they all require different care. if you want something you can handle more often i would go with a leo, fat tail, crested or gargoyle.

Bellalee

Juvie Member
Yup just like above all geckos have different types of care. Leopards don't eat any veggies, they eat live feeders, they need movement. You do need to dust the feeders but with a multivitamin, and calc. with d3. In the dish you would keep calc. without d3

Females can be housed together usually with no problems, but there are always exceptions to the rules. Usually the females need to be about the same weight to be housed together. I have 3 together in a 40 gallon and they all are still gaining weight.

Leopards usually don't bask but to keep a gradient from day to night the light would be used. Leopards can get used to you by handling, and just letting them walk over your hands.

Kacymyree

Juvie Member
I agree with getting a crested gecko! you can keep one in a ten gal but when they start to grow they will need a 2o gal. it is important to flip the 20 gal on its side so its vertical-- giving them height to climb! they dont need any light. just make sure their temps dont go below 65 at night and over 80. temps over 80 can stress a crested gecko to death. They can live completely off CGD(crested gecko diet) made by Repashy. the stuff is wonderful. just watch the humidity keep it aroung 60% but give them a drying out period during part of th day while they sleep.

They are wonderful geckos, mine like to he handled-- they will sit on your hand or cling to your shirt all day.

if you consider getting a crested gecko check out repashy forums, there are some very nice , knowledgeable people there they can help you with anything you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom