NEED HELP! Speedy threw up and seems to have diareha

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I'm sure I don't. I've never even hear about it. I might find it in a health food store in Tucson. They tend to be expensive, tho.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I guess I need to replace it. I got it right after we had to treat Redrock for pinworms. That was in August the year before she died.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
BTW I've checked every store, even the health food store in town and none carry any type of soy yoghurt, with or without sugar. Thanks for the links, Diane. It did help but, so far the second link doesn't indicate any stores in AZ that carry it, at all. I will look in Tucson when we go on Friday and see if I can find some there, I probably can.

Second update. I tried to feed Speedy greens about an hour or so ago. She grabbed them out of my hand. This is the first time she's actively went after any type of greens. She must have been hungry. I'm glad I fed her greens first because she was really hungry. She went on to eat 8 supers, but this time she chewed each one thoroughly. Both my girls are now basking and I don't expect a repeat of last Saturday. I will update later or tommorrow and let you know how it went.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Thanks for the update. I'm sure Speedy realized what she had done and wouldn't want to repeat it.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Thankfully, today was the same for Speedy as yesterday was. She ate some greens and 8 supers, chewing them very thoroughly. I thank you both for your help. It was what I figured and we will, from now on, be feeding her greens first so she won't be to hungry to chew her feeders.

Lori

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Thank goodness she's all better.
Be sure to tell her that she has to chew her food like a lady :D

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
New update! We took both girls to the vet in Tucson for a general checkup last Friday, mainly because of Speedy's problem from a week ago. The vet said they both looked good. Speedy gave us a poop sample about 8:25am last Friday. She also gave us one on the vets table about 2:30 pm that afternoon. They mixed both together and send the fecal in. We didn't get one for Zoom Zoom as she didn't poop for us. She hadn't pooped since the Tuesday before, maybe Wednesday but I'm not sure about that. The Vet's office called us today and said the fecal said Speedy has coccidia. Thanks to this site I knew what to ask and I asked them what they planned to give her and what the count was. The count was 2 and they want to give her albon. I remember reading that Albon is harsh and can decrease their appetite. My question is, should we treat Speedy with a count of 2? When we were leaving the Dr's office, they said that they would treat Zoom Zoom also for what they saw as obvious reasons. I'm not sure if it's necessary to treat Zoom Zoom as they aren't housed together. They are outside their vivs together but there is enought space for them to not bother each other. Once in a while Speedy will try to crawl on top of Zoom and Zoom will try to do that to Speedy, but we put a stop to that and their doing it has decreased a lot.

I would appreciate any opinions anyone has.

Lori

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Personally, I wouldn't treat Zoom Zoom unless her fecal also had signs of parasites, especially since they're not housed together.

Would it be possible to administer lower doses of Albon to Speedy? Or a graduated dose? Two counts isn't that bad, but typically vets will medicate "just to be safe".

How had Speedy's health been otherwise? Any more diarrhea or regurgitation?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
No, nothing else problem wise. In fact, Speedy ate 14 super worms (normal large size) yesterday along with a lot of greens. She has added 15 grams since the vet visit last friday. Her appetite has increased, not decreased, which leads me to believe that there isn't anything really wrong with her, parasite wise. The lady I talked to when I called the office said the dosage (I know, this is a Tracie question) was 250 mg per 100 ml and they were dosing Speedy at 3.5 for 5 days. I don't know if this is a good dosage or not. She didn't say 3.5 what. I guess I should have asked that. Thanks for your input Gina.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
That's good that Speedy still has her appetite, and gaining weight.

Yeah, I think you need to ask Tracie about the dosage and strength. I can't remember if Felix/Oscar was given 250 mg of Albon when they had parasites (too long ago).

hello there my beardies tiger and softy have diarrea for years from to much greens and gets a little better buy givinq superworms and chickets. But when they get diarrea never gos away my vet says so if they eat high amount then is a parasite i tryed to heal them with meds for a year now since it started never gos away my vet has nothing left to offer. But try yogurt they healed fast when tiger threw up his greens he eats way to fast and naw stop so i offer food 5 times a day for this reason. But my two beardies have runny wet stools and i cant help them but keep them clean. Softy does not like tiger they have bite one another and that hurts me emotionaly. But keep a eye on them and may eaten a bad bug and i tell everyone this watch for lightning bugs because tiger eat one and bite me while a got it out his mouth i saved his life was scarest thing ever but i dont fail my beardies. Watch them close

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I have another question. The day we took our girls to the vet, Speedy gave us a poop before we left in the am. The urate with that one was hard and rattled around in the container I put the poop into. The one she left at the vets office wasn't hard, it was soft and there was an extra water around the whole poop. Does anyone know why this happens? I didn't soak either one before we left for Tucson. Both poops were in the same day. The first poop was at 8:25am and the second was around 2:30 or so. Is it a potential problem with Speedy that some urates are hard, real hard and some are not?

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Hard urates typically mean dehydration, but it could also mean too much calcium supplements.

Pookie used to have rock hard urates too, even though I bathed him almost every day. He never drank from his baths, but I never thought he could be dehydrated. Now, I give him approximately 2 ml of water each day, from a dropper. Since I started doing that, his urates had been soft and extra water even comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom