NEED HELP! Speedy threw up and seems to have diareha

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
This started about 5:20 this am. We heard her scrabbling around in her hide. My husband (he's closer to her viv) got her out and put her on me to warm up. We noticed about an hour later that she had pooped in her hide. After washing them with other clothes, I put her back in her viv to warm up. About 20 minutes ago my husband noticed the supers she ate yesterday, totally undigested, in her viv below where she was basking. It looked to me that she had thrown them up. They were dead so this shows how the supers can't eat the stomach lining of the beardies (different subject). Anyway, my husband said she had diareha (sorry I can't spell that word). I thought it was just because she was scrabbling around and got it messed up, however just about 10 minutes till 9am our time, she pooped again, on our bedspread, and this was, very obviously, diareha. Yesterday Speedy had a normal poop, solid no problems. We fed her yesterday inside, she ate 7 superworms.

The temps outside were very strange for our area. We had a rain storm come through here starting about Tuesday, it was cloudy for 2.5 days or more, but yesterday we had sun and the clouds kept covering the sun which made the temps drop. Our area in AZ is very hot this time of year, normally, except this week. I'm not complaining about it as we enjoy cooler temps when we can, except in the winter. Anyway the temps yesterday kept going from hot, in the sun, to a cool temp. Is it possible that the seemingly drastic change in temps caused her to not digest the supers correctly and caused the diareha? Or is it possible there is something else wrong? We did notice that her eyes were more sunken in this morning than they were yesterday. I do realize that the sunken in eyes are a sign of dehydration, which we will soak her today here soon. I may soak her a couple of times today. I remember reading that you can get pedalite and soak her in it and that's supposed to help her get rehydrated, but we won't have any $ until next thursday and we live about 17 miles, one way from the local stores.

Does anyone have any ideas? I was on vacation this last week, monday is a Memorial Day and we won't be able to get her to the vet until Tuesday, but since I'm not off that day we won't be able to get her to a vet we trust until Friday as that's the day I'm off, and we planned to go to Tucson that day, anyway. I soaked her for a few minutes this am, but that was before I realized that she did have diareha.

Please give us some ideas as to why this happened. Zoom Zoom is fine, she wasn't affected with this, even tho she was fed at the same basic time that Speedy was and was outside at the same time Speedy was.

Lori

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Oh no! Poor Speedy.

Could she had eaten something while outside? I'm not sure about the hot/cold weather affecting her system, but I know it affects mine.
Were all of the supers from yesterday regurgitated? She probably already wasn't feeling up to par yesterday, thus not being able to digest any of the supers.

Lori, I wish I had some medical miracle advice to give you. Until you could get her to a vet, I'd suggest many warm soaks and if she lets you, administer Pedialyte orally to be sure that she gets the fluids that she needs. Oh, of course give her lots of warm snuggles.

Hope she'll be feeling better soon.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Yes, Gina, it seems that all of the supers were thrown up. Speedy doesn't really eat anything outside. I've seen Zoom eat a small rock and egg shells that are in the tree well. We don't spray anything close to the house with any pesticides.

Lori

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I soaked Speedy for 1/2 hour from about 10:27 to 11:00am. She did drink in the bath a couple of times, so she was dehydrated. She seems to be feeling a little better now.

My husband said that she was so hungry yesterday that she caught the supers in mid air. It's possible that she ate too much at one time. We will keep a good eye on her to make sure she's doing o.k. We do have an appointment this comming Friday at 2pm for both just to make sure they are o.k.

Lori

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It could've been the simple fact that she ate too fast and gave herself indigestion. It happens, unfortunately.

Have you offered her anything to eat today? Maybe something soft and easy to break down in her tummy?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
What would you suggest Gina? All I have at the moment to feed her is Superworms and collard greens and such. I don't have any baby food and I'm not sure she'd eat it if I did have it.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Sorry, I'd been out.

How about cooking up some carrots (if you have on hand) and mashing it up? Or peas minus the outside skin?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
It's O.K. that you were out, I hope you had a good time.

We always have baby carrots on hand. The supers like them and my husband likes carrots. He can't eat the regular ones because of his teeth so we by the baby ones. We do have mixed veggies, frozen. We could thaw out some of those. We didn't feed her anything today. As I said previously, she seems to be perking up as she was crawling all over me and her sister, Zoom Zoom this afternoon. It's to late to feed her tonight. We will try some zucchini tomorrow, both girls seem to prefer that to collards.

Thanks for your help Gina. I think she'll be o.k. Both are going to the vet on Friday at 2pm for a checkup as we've not had either one for a checkup. Speedy had a fecal done locally last fall and had pinworms, but we've never taken them to a herp vet and as we are going shopping there anyway that day, we decided to do both. We just hope that it's not to hot in Tucson that day as this time of year, they can get close to 100 degrees and we don't have air conditioning in that vehicle.

Lori

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Thanks for asking, Gina. No, so far, nothing of that sort. She ate 2 small pieces of zucchini. They seem to prefer that and butternut squash to collard and other types of greens. She is a more active than she was yesterday morning. She started being more active yesterday afternoon. We are staying home today to make sure she's doing o.k. I will try to see if she wants supers later. She seems to want to roam our living room, which makes it difficult to keep track of her sometimes.

Lori.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
That's good to hear. She most like ate too fast and got a tummy ache.
Hey, if humans and dogs could overeat and puke afterwards, why not beardies?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
That's what we think she did. She, for the first time, ever swallowed the supers whole. They were on the floor of her cage, dead but whole.

She may not want supers for awhile.

Lori

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Lori, sorry to hear that Speedy was having some problems. Good o hear she is doing better now. If it happens again, you might want to give some Acidophilis, Benebac or soy yogurt, one of those should help her tummy feel better. I would go real easy on the supers the next few days. Perhaps she would eat a little chicken baby food mixed with some baby food squash, certainly worth a try.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Thanks, Dianne. The problem started the day before when she decided to consume 7 supers, without chewing. She decided she was hungry, really hungry. She never, ever ate supers that way. Today, she ate 5, but this time she chewed very well. She's still a bit dehydrated because she pooped, however since there wasn't anything else inside her it was only the urates and, wondering, I touched them and noticed they were hard and a little yellow. She had a 25 minute soak about 12:30 pm. I do notice that we must get a taller tub to soak her in as both girls have figured out a way to climb out of the one we now have. We did cut her off after 5. If she hadn't chewed them up so well, we wouldn't have gone any further. After the first one, she looked at the ground wondering where the supers were. "There must be another one here somewhere" or "If I look down long enough, I'll get another one."

I do have Acidolphilis. I got it a while back when Redrock had pinworms. It's been in the fridge since. How long does it stay good in the fridge? We can't find soy yoghurt anywhere in this town. My understanding is they shouldn't have any soy yoghurt that has sugar. Fry's used to have soy yoghurt but it had sugar and they don't carry it anymore.

She won't drink water when I drip it on her nose, so I doubt that she'll go along with eating baby food if I smear it on her mouth. Redrock never did either.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Lor, do you have a Whole Foods near you? They might have sugarless soy yogurt (I tried looking on their website but got frustrated and gave up).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom