Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Barbara, thanks for the hugs, they sure help!

I made the bed properly yesterday, until then I had all kinds of things piled on Roger's side, avoidance, anyone? I got a call from the funeral home, Roger's ashes were in the urn my sister bought for me & he's coming home today. So that put a bit of finality on it all. I still haven't written some cards that need to get in the mail tomorrow (considering Canada Post has been on strike for almost the last month, I didn't trust putting anything in the mail, but they all went back yesterday. So now I can get some thank-you cards in the mail.

My sis calls me daily to see how I'm faring. Today I feel stronger and the broncial asthma is on it's way out, I can breathe in again without coughing for an hour.

I'm off to get stuff done. I have a list that's not complete yet. I want to take something to the ER staff that took such good care of him, so I'll get a big box of chocolates that they can munch on. They all deserve a big sugar break, anyway!

I'm glad I have physio today, it's been humid here for about a week & the arthritis in my finger joints is acting up. I'm just grateful I'm off work right now.

Have a great day Barb & everyone else,
Deb

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Sandy, thanks for those lovely cards, they all lift my spirit, I'm just glad it was quick & that he's no longer in pain, poor man. He's now in beardie heaven (over the Rainbow) and has Issy in one hand & Angel in the other & all the lost beardies are running around him, so excited to have a human to play with. That eases my heart, as he was only 64 when he died. I'm still in the midst of a bunch of paperwork but seeing the light now. And my doctor put me on disability, as the minute Health Services learned that Roger died, she cut me off stress leave, put me on 5 day berevement & I was expected to be back to work last Monday. So the Senior Manager in my office put me back on short-term disability before I talked to my manager. So I see the doc next Tuesday to see if my leave can continue. I still get very fatigued and the arthritis in my joints is swelling due to the humidity. YUCK.

The babies are fine now, it took awhile to figure out a morning schedule to include baths & food for the day. But we're getting there. Sweetie still sleeps on Roger's pillow & wrapped up in Roger's favourite blanket. It's become a daily thing & will continue, as if I need a cuddle she's right there. Makes me feel better, too.

Thanks again Sandy, I'm slowly making my way to everyone's thread.
Deb

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Love you!
I'm glad that the bronchial asthma is calming down for you. I'm sorry your arthritis is acting up.

Hugs and Snuggles!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Deb, continuing to think of you. Glad to hear that your bronchial tubes are clearing out, you poor thing. I hope you can stay on disability for a while so that you don't have to worry about that. You need time to get things together and to help build your strength. Sorry to hear about your arthritis, that's painful.

Hang in there. Hugs for you and your babies.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
I'm so glad that things are falling into place, and that your asthma is being controlled, now to the arthritis under wraps, boy, I can relate to it all. Hopefully your Dr. will insist that you take more of a leave from work, so you can get some rest, recover, and sort things out. I know you've been through alot, and your world has been turned upside down. God bless you Deb, cyber hugs from all my household to yours.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Diane & Christine, your good wishes always make my heart lighter. I was at Eric & Tara's tonight when Eric said "I'll help you clean out Dad's stuff" and I told him I just wasn't ready, that I've not been able to open his side of the closet or even put away the clothes from the last wash. I suppose it will get easier, I hope so.

Sweetie is now permanently sleeping on the bed with me, if I need a cuddle I just have to move her & then put her back. She's always ready for lights out about 4-5p, and she'll stay on the bed until I wake her up. I even slept in this am, didn't get up until almost 9a when I'm normally awake by 7p. It felt good to sleep in for a change. I still get really tired easily, so only do 1 outing a day.

The boys are all doing well. Poor Lonzo is still shedding, by bits & pieces & he's really miserable when he sheds. There should be a law that beardies don't have to shed after 3 yrs old :lol: That would be lovely. Lonzo is 8 yrs old & has done almost a complete body shed in bits & pieces since he woke up from brumation.

Rubio is really enjoying his tank, he hardly ever wants out & when I do put him out, he's trying to get back in. Silly dragon :lol:

Didi's shed is pink and he's miserable too, when he's shedding. It also takes him a long time for the shed to loosen up. He's still not eating worms, but he is eating squash & critical care. Doesn't care for green stuff, oh well. Hopefully he'll be done with his shed soon.

Leo got a new Power Sun on the weekend & he's really enjoying it now. Because he was under 125W Solar Glo I've put the light up to the maximum & he's had no trouble with the 160W. During the summer I turn them off earlier in the afternoon so they won't roast. So far, we've not had many sunny days. I think 3 in all since June 21, hopefully the sun will break through soon, so my babies can get some real sun.
Deb

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I just love your hugs, Barbara, they feel so good. I'm still really tired & took today & tomorrow off for me & my babies (& cleaning up the house, if I don't put it off again!)
Eric & Tara are at her parents this weekend, they moved & now live a 3 hr car drive away. It'll be good for both of them to get away. Tara recently learned that she's got advanced arthritis at the base of her back & also 2 degerating discs. She's going to need surgery, so she needs to lose some weight. So it's going to be an exciting 2 years, as it can take that long before any surgery can be performed. At least she now knows why she's in so much pain & the worst is that painkillers don't work with her. It's been very frustrating & very painful, so her doc is still trying to find a narcotic that will help her. Eric also got very angry last night when I went over & he had a good cry, too, so I think he's starting to finally grieve.

All our babies are doing well, Sweetie ate a big amount of critical care & babyfood squash this am. I've got to go shopping for greens, ran out yesterday. Didi also ate critical care & babyfood squash & left a huge poop in his tank, of course AFTER his bath. At least he's pooping & his urate is amost back to normal. Same with Lonzo & Leo, as their urates were too hard. I've got to get filtered water for them, too. Guess I"m going shopping tomorrow am! Lonzo, Leo & Rubio had lots of worms as well as squash. Sweetie & Didi won't eat anything but freshly shed worms, which I find difficult to find among the worms. Maybe tomorrow I'll find more.

I see my doc on Tuesday, so we'll see what I'm doing about disability. It's been very difficult at work for me to keep up, since January, I was getting more & more tired every day & it was getting more & more difficult to stay at work. So I'll be discussing everything with my doc on Tuesday to decide what to do about work.

I was in touch with Social Security about Roger passing away. I do get 60% of his pension, but I have to wait until I'm 60 to apply if I'm not on permanent disability. So that's another thing I need to talk to my doc about. There is a small death benefit $225 that I can apply for, I guess I'd better get that done. For his Canadian pension, I get 37 1/2% of $144.36. The death benefit that's I've already applied for is $2500, which I should get within 6-8 weeks from the time I applied. So I guess end August, beg Sept for that $.

Deb

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi Deb
I just heard about Roger and I wanted to give you my sympathies.I am so sorry for your loss. You both were so sweet to me during my illness and it saddens me greatly to hear about his passing.He was a good man and I am glad he will live on through you.I know have been MIA lately but if you ever need me just shoot me an email.
I hope things go smoothly with the doctor and that you can get your disability issues resolved quickly.
((((((HUGS))))))

Vicky

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Vicky, thanks for your kind words. I'm to see my doc on Tues to figure out how long I can take before returning to work. Even though I have things wrong with me, I'm really not ill enough to be off on perm disability. I do want to go to work, but I'm finding I'm just very tired all the time.
Hugs to you too, for a complete recovery
Deb

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Hi Deb,
I've been away from the forum for a while and am just so sad and shocked to hear about Roger. I'm glad to hear that you have a good support network in place to help you through this. Lots of hugs from me and my crew. {{{{hugs}}}}

Sandi

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Sandi, glad to hear from you. Roger got sick so suddenly & before I knew it he passed away. It was such a shock. Sweetie still misses him, she stopped eating about the time he got sick. I weighed her today & she's gone from 471g to 428g, so she's now getting critical care every morning. I appreciate your kind words.

Lori, hugs are always welcome. I'm doing ok, but still really tired. I see the doc on Tues, so should know why I'm so tired. I think it was living on adrenaline the whole time he was sick, I guess it caught up with me finally.

Thanks
Deb

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I weighed the whole gang today. Sweetie has lost 43g since since May 15, she went from 471 down to 428, that's why she's getting critical care every am and will be going to the vet as soon as I get paid next Friday.

Leo was 394, now 476 - gained 82g - he'll be nice & plump for brumation.

Rubio was 792, now 818 - gained 26g

Lonzo was 513, now 549 - gained 36g - I was worried about Lonzo, too, but he's gained a great deal since mid May. He's still going to the vet about his tail, it's become super sensitive & he's not able to hold up most of it. Not sure what's with that.

Didi was 389, now 398 - gained 9g (he's also on critical care as he stopped eating just like Sweetie. I haven't figured out how he's gained 9g & Sweetie's lost so much.

I know Sweetie was more affected by losing Roger than the boys. She was Daddy's girl, they spent alot of time together. I'm hoping she'll feel better soon, as I"m a bit worried about the big weight loss. I'm hoping the critical care does the trick.
Deb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom