My beardie keeps licking everything is it normal?

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
This is generally a normal behavior. They check for their own scent and the possible scent of other beardies. (And they can also detect your scent that you transfer to things you touch.)

Also mine does that from time to time (likely more often than I see it - so can't really say how often), sometimes he walks "his round" to lick certain points of certain objects like "the top of this stone, the side of this bowl, this knobby part of the branch, and up, this surface, and then going basking". He also does this when I put something new in his tank.

When he was a bit younger, he also had the habit of walking "his round" to lick things when I put him back into his enclosure. In the beginning even (I was training him to be held) when I just held him, inside the enclosure, and not even taking him out - once back on the ground or his branch, he started walking "his round". Now when he put him back in he just goes basking, likely as he knows that while he is away from his enclosure there isn't any other dragon coming in.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
totally normal behavior. she's just checking out the world around her. you do need to be careful though and make sure she can't get to anything toxic.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
My beardie (Raine) keeps licking everything. Shes been doing it since I got her in January. It is bad or even normal?
They have an organ in the front of their mouth called a Jacobson organ. It is sensitive to anything they press to it, when they lick something it is the equivalent of a dog sniffing something.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom