My Anastasia

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
The first thing I noticed when I saw her was the cobwebs around her viv and stand. Then I looked closer and saw tiny black bugs crawling around her eyes. She had a listless look about her; it hurt my heart in a way that made me want to burst out crying. I noticed the ZooMed 5.0 UV bulb 12 inches above her which the owner informed me was only 3 years old and a regular white light bulb next to it. Here is the substrate. Don't ask me what it is.
100_2124.jpg

I asked about her health history, etc. and he said, "I don't know." AND they didn't even give her a name. :banghead: We loaded up the cage and the stand. The guy didn't even say "bye" or "take care of her" or anything about the dragon, but then again he was rather busy staring at my chest. :oops: :shock:
We loaded up the cage and stand and I put my new darling into a box on my lap for the ride home. She is very nervous about being handled. She slept most of the 4 hour drive.
100_2143.jpg

When I got home I realized the "gentleman" (in place of expletive) not only lied saying the viv was bigger, but also gipped us on the cage furniture. When I tried to clean the pieces they fell apart so I threw them all away. What was really disgusting was in the bottom of that pool (which had no water b/c it was cracked, for looks?) there was gross bacteria growing and a giant 2 inch cricket living in there that jumped out at me.
100_2135.jpg

Also, I noticed that the mystery substrate didn't even cover the bottom of the glass and I had a suspicion that he had just been scooping it and never changing it. I was right. Here's when I emptied it.
100_2132.jpg

Needless to say, there was a LOT of scrubbing and disinfecting going on tonight. When I woke her up I knew what she needed first thing. May I just say this is the most dehydrated animal I have every seen and I have no idea how she's been making it.
100_2141.jpg

"You're waking me up for a what? What's a bath? I've never had one of those..."
I put her in the tub and she clung to my hand and acted terrified at first, then suddenly took off like an Olympian and swimming underwater! Just as I was about to get my camera, the legs spread apart and you know. There was obvious mealworm chitin and God knows what in there. And when she was done she kept walking a couple steps then straining some more. I tried tummy rubs, but bless her heart, she is impacted. Also, when I was putting her tank back together I found an undertank heater taped to the bottom and checked her tummy- it looks like someone was trying to grill her for a cookout. This is ridiculous. I should've punched him, ya think? OK so here's after the bath.
100_2150.jpg

She was so dirty that my towel was brown.
And here are her incredibly long nails.
100_2144.jpg

I trimmed them when she went to sleep tonight and noticed that one nail is actually missing. :shock:
One last pic. :) :love5:
100_2145.jpg

OK questions for anybody who bothered to read all this! Please give me input!
First off, thank you!
Is there any sort of dragon soap? Lol I mean other than just soaking her in water and waiting for a shed to get her cleaner; she is really disgusting.

I know heat on the stomach can help for impaction but I think that would be painful- I was just going to avoid live feeders and try vegetable oil or baby food. But she is scared. I don't think she will be eating from a dropper. I can't picture her gobbling baby food from a dish... any other suggestions?

And if you look closely at the pics (sorry they're kinda cruddy) you can see she has strips of darker colors wrapped around her arms and head and all?? Like she's in midshed- and her skin feels real crackly too; if even makes the crrr noise. But stupidhead said that she's been like that, that she hasn't shed in forever. Is it possible she was supposed to shed but didn't or what?? I'm stumped on this one.

Lastly, do you guys think this is her original tail? It looks too thick to me.
Thanks!

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
This breaks my heart. I'm so glad that she is with you now. She is so beautiful! It's entirely possible that she has some retained shed in spots, or maybe even burns since she had that lovely undertank heater going. I wouldn't use any soap or anything on her right now, but you could buy some 100% aloe gel and it will help her to get rid of some of the bad stuff. Just make sure it's 100% aloe gel... lots of aloe gels contain alcohol which will only hurt her right now. I'm so glad she pooped for you. She is a trooper and she will pull through. Not only will she remember what happiness is - she'll get to experience it again first hand!

And you know where this guy lives, right? I have seven words for you - flaming bag of beardie poop on doorstep.

LJean

Extreme Poster
Poor girl. Glad to know she is now in good hands!
She is a pretty dragon. Since they don't grow their tails back, as far as I know, It would have to be her original tail. It does look a bit fat.

I'm sure our resident experts will be able to help you out.

Tatty

Juvie Member
Even though I am a female, I really want to punch that sicko. Your girl has an incredible will to live and WILL respond to your kindness. God Bless!

Tatty

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Oh dolce Im so happy for you, and oh my goodness how she needs you.

She definatly has plenty of weight on her, which seems a seriously odd considering her neglect. I have a suspicion he has been feeding them mice.

You can see little hints of yellow underneath all that filth. What a poor girl. As jaspersmom said stear clear of soaps, they absorb through their skin remember. Im sure after a week or so of nice warm baths ans gentle massaging things will start to look better.
When Ruben came home he had discoloration and crud around his vent because he cant lift his bottom up. I used a babys toothbrush (they are very soft) to help lift the dirt off.
If its retained shed im sure with proper care and regular baths she will shed for you eventually.

Impaction wise I would try dabbing the babyfood on her nose. She will probably be too scared to try it at first but if you leave her alone Im sure she would quizically lick it eventually, hopefully then she might accept some more in this fashion.
Id definatly stick to baby food and maybe ease in some softbodied worms.

I can believe the state of her tank, as sick as it makes me. Ive seen so many people use dragons as ornaments and think they are like snakes. Just give them food once a week and leave them too it. There is so much ignorance out there this have brought tears to my eyes. Ive encountered something like this myself accept the owner wouldnt sell his beardie for under £100 which was money I didnt have. I email him from time to time to ask how he is and offer my help, but he stopped responding a long time ago. I dread to think what has happened.

Congratulations on your new one.
Please keep us updated with lots of photos!
Holly

Krisymof2

Hatchling Member
I was watching your original thread, all I can say is that I'm glad you finally got her. I was so crossing my fingers that you would.

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Oh my! Poor little thing. How did you keep from knocking him upside the head? I'm afraid I would have gotten myself arrested! :shock:
Keep giving her warm soaks, maybe twice a day. I also use a baby toothbrush, Bogie loves it! (Especially when shedding) :D Try putting some babyfood on shreded greens. She may surprise you. Proper uvb and rehydration will have her feeling better in no time. Use the beardie burrito every night to get her used to you and you will have a snuggle dragon in short order! :D She is so lucky to have found you.
Sooo... Have you named her yet? How about Phoenix, she is rising from the ashes,( or garbage heap) :blob8: :blob8:
Good luck and God bless you for caring!

Sandy H

CoopersGrandma

Juvie Member
i can only say thankgoodness for her that you have her now and she will know what love and kindness and happiness are all about . you are her angel and just wait and see , she will have you turned into her beardie slave in no time for sure as well as a wonderful beardie mommy !

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
You know what Sandi, if he didn't live 4 hours away I think I would totally go for the flaming poop bag. :laughhard: BTW What you've done with Campbell helped inspire me to rescue her.

LJean- Thank you for clearing that up! I argued with my vets on the tail regrowth thing, assumed they were right, then after your comment I did some more research. Next workday I'm telling them to stick with the cats and dogs! (Also why I'm paying a herp vet rather than getting free service at my clinic pssh)

Tatty- I hold him down, you punch? :twisted: :D

Yeah Holly, I couldn't figure out her weird BM yesterday until I read your comment about the pinkies and then I thought Ohhh! I think he pretty much treated her like a snake. BTW What you've done with Ruben also helped inspire me to rescue her. :D

Krisymof2- Thanks! I'm glad, too!

Sandy H, I liked your idea about Phoenix- but I've used it a lot as my handle on chats, sites, etc. So I thought of Anastasia or Stasia which means "she who will rise again". I also liked it b/c she has a very pronounced spine crown like a duchess. :mrgreen:

CoopersGrandma- No no you don't understand!! I've had her one day and I'm already her beardie slave!! :D :whip: :whip:

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
The toothbrush idea worked wonders! She looks ten times better. Thanks. And she actually seemed to enjoy it. Here's bathtime.
100_2167.jpg

Yes, she dives underwater. Little weirdo.

Anyway, I'm starting to understand why some of you other adopters worry so much about your adoptees. My other three babies were hatchlings when I got them and even though two were abused I knew where they came from and what I needed to do about it. Stasia is worrying me to death!!

Every time I get her out I use both hands and let her cling to me and still get tail whipped. She's very nervous. Every quick motion or noise makes her jerk and beard. What did they do to her gosh?

For S&G I set up her tank just the way they had it (with no lizard in it though) and tested the temps all over. The warmest I got was 78F. That was not including the heating pad though. I felt so bad during bath time when I was scrubbing her she would hiss if I accidentally hit a burn. I felt horrible. :(

I gave lots of tummy massages today but all I could get out her bloated little body was a pea-sized doopy. I know there's a lot up in there; I feel it! NOW I understand why everyone kept saying "I need poop!"

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
I like the name Stasia - it suits her. She looks happy in the bath. :love5: My advice would be to make getting her hydrated your priority. Give her water and/or unflavoured pedialyte with a needleless syringe. As she gets more hydrated, her bowels will start to work and get rid of whatever's in there. Don't give her any solid food just yet, until her guts get working properly again. She'll settle down and get used to you over time - from your description of her previous living conditions, I'm guessing she wasn't held much if at all. Cobwebs. :evil: And 78F? :evil: :evil: She is so much better off now. Once she figures out that she's with you for good, she'll blossom. I bet she's going to be a real snugglebug!

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Since everybody already said what I was going to, all I have left to say is "congrats on Stasia (which is a beautiful name) and thank you for rescuing her".

Oh, by the way, I would've drove the 4 hours back to beat the living daylights out of this guy. Guess this is why I can't do rescues - I'd get my first and end up in jail, then someone else would have to rescue my rescue :roll:

Cobwebs in the viv - :angry5:

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I am up for a road trip.Can we get the beardie train going for that I wonder? :angry5:
I am so glad you rescued her.Have you tried canned pumpkin?How about giver her some babyfood applesauce or squash she may lick it off the spoon for you.Just keep up what your doing you have already done a miracle for her.I bet she is in heaven even if she wont admit it :D Good choice in names also even though I personally am a little partial to Phoenix :wink: I think your choice was perfect for her.Congrats!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh my goodness, thanks so much for rescuing her. What an angel you are. :love5: She is precious and really looks like the name Stasia is perfect for her. She has been through a lot but will flourish under your care. Be sure to take it easy on feeding her so as not to cause too much of a strain on her liver & kidneys, have to go slow with the protein.

I agree that the person that had her could use a visit from ALL of us beardie lovers at the same time. We could sure give him lectures that he would never forget.

Good luck with Stasia, she looks happier already and will certainly learn what true happiness is all about. :wink:

Tatty

Juvie Member
On a related note, our local pet store rescued an abused iguana from two guys who had an apartment. These jerks stuck his toes in the light sockets and his some of his toes were black, exploded, and missing. The jerks also put their cigarette buts out on his skin. I was outraged. The police took him away from the guys and gave him to the loving owner of the pet store. His name is Cooper. Just the same name as my adopted beardie male. Could someone please tell me what is the matter with some of these people anymore?

:twisted:
Tatty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom