MTZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mischa

Juvie Member
Just got back from the vet Mischa has some types of protozoans and was prescribed MTZ. My question is, is do I need to give a probiotic?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You have Metronidazole for flagelletes. Yes, you will need to get probiotics as this is a harsh drug on their system.
Did he dose the meds according to your dragon's weight? What is the dosage given? How is it to be given?

Tracie

mischa

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He dosed on weight (422 grams) and I give 4.2 ml a day for 5 days orally, then discontinue for 10 days, then 5 more days.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow that is alot of meds. Are they diluted? Are you sure you don't mean .42ml? What is the concentration, does it have it on the bottle? At 4.2ml or 4.2cc's unless it is diluted it will overdose him with that amount.
Please recheck the dose for me. That sounds like entirely too much medication.

The benebac can be given daily, just a small pea sized amount mixed up with his food. It should really help.
Please get back with me regarding the dosage, ok? I hate for you to over medicate him. If you cannot find the concentration, please call the vet to find out what it is & make sure the dose is correct. Thanks. The bottle should say how many milligrams are in each milliliter. If not, you need to know. They need 25-50mg/kg of bodyweight.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, well, that is good! Does it have the concentration of the Metronidazole? It looks like he started at 100mg/kg which is kind of high though. I would have gone with 50mg/kg.
Which probiotic will you go with?

Tracie

mischa

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Im not sure of the concentration I'm at school right now, but I will tell you when I get home later!
Also I'm using bene-bac.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, great! Just let me know when you find out, thanks.
The Benebac is perfectly fine. It should help him out quite a bit. Remember to give it daily, during the period of time he is on the meds.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, that concentration is fine. It looks like the dosage is correct, for her weight. What was her weight again, 422 grams, right?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom