choleoeimeria coccidia

ashmashx

Beardie name(s)
Ernie
Hi everyone! My new beardie bobbie has been battling coccidia ever since I got her in november, weve done various treatments of septrin and whilst its reduced its still present. The vet today said hes seen the above coccidia present and has now prescribed baycox along with zodon. Has anyone had this before and is it something to worry about? Ive also been steam cleaning like a mad woman!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Hi everyone! My new beardie bobbie has been battling coccidia ever since I got her in november, weve done various treatments of septrin and whilst its reduced its still present. The vet today said hes seen the above coccidia present and has now prescribed baycox along with zodon. Has anyone had this before and is it something to worry about? Ive also been steam cleaning like a mad woman!
Some Coccidia in their systems is normal. Keeping the poop up asap is critical to curing an outbreak. The way to finally beat it is by breaking it's life cycle. It has to be pooped out and reingested to multiply, so if you can keep your beardie from tracking the poop around, its immune system should help reduce the count.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Like XP said, if you are super religious about cleaning the tank DAILY while treating for Coccidia, you will never eradicate it. The tank needs to have minimal items in it to make cleaning it easy (and I don't mean just wiping things up, I mean daily disinfecting).

Zodon is not a very commonly prescribed medication for Coccidia IME, did your vet explain why he's prescribing it?

The sulfa drugs are much more common for coccidia treatment, although they are very rough on the system.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, usually Toltrazuril or Ponazuril are more commonly used for coccidia issues.
I always recommend using paper towels &
cardboard while they are on treatment to cut down on reinfection. It is easy to keep clean that way.
Any water dish should be removed also.
I would consider some type of probiotic to help out the tummy also if he starts to have trouble with his appetite.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom