monitor husbandry for bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

esn

Hatchling Member
These setups are absolutely wonderful. I have my own savannah monitor and skinks, and have recently converted my desert iguanas to the savannah monitor keeping, minus the feeding portion. They've thrived as well. My herps are all very happy with their soil/sand mixes, and my salamanders even thrive on it. I think I might try converting my own leos over to this way in the future. It seems brilliant to me. I've never understood the concern about mice in a beardies diet - temperatures regulate their digestion, and it seems that you've got this all covered. I'm looking forward to your updates.

I love your critter mix for the croc skink too. I love using full insect cultures in soil - it's something that a lot of caudate keepers do. Adding cleaners like springtails, natural mites, worms, and other small insects is just so natural. It's the same as keeping a pond-state fish tank. I do the same thing for my aquariums and aquatic caudates - the aquarium "invaders" are part of a natural ecosystem that creates balance in the substrate and makes the habitat thrive. It's nice to see that someone is willing to try something different for their herps. Husbandry is still developing, and new ways to keep the animals we care for continues to develop every year.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
stangbanger":32fmmmf6 said:
as for the mice not being a natural food souce....neither are dubia roaches for beardies

heres a big debate if youre interested in the topic

http://www.herpcenter.com/leopard-gecko ... -mice.html

That was a very long debate! Wow, I'm exhausted. I didn't get much from it though. Some say yes, some say no. I think this topic is going to go full circle. In the end, it's going to have to come down to the bare bones. What is/what is not necessary. I'm also interested in the 'night time practices' in regards to heat.

stangbanger

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
sorry no multiple quotes in this post, I'm on my phone

To whoever the mod on pg 3 was... I took down those two pics for you

I don't believe I've been rude in any way, nor have I told anybody they are wrong or anything else... Not sure why you say that?

Few of us have been debating, and so far it seems like it's stayed very adult and on topic... Guess I don't see the problem...

As for night time heat... That enclosure sits in a warm room... The ambient temps are 80-90, so no need for additional night heat

As for basking temps... What you don't understand is that a basking surface is much hotter than the air... Go outside on a hot summer day with your infrared temp gun and check a few things... You will be surprised... Basking surface temps can be up to 50 degrees or more warmer than ambient

That's why a hot day in Arizona you can fry an egg on the sidewalk, but it won't fry just holding it

170 ambient temps would kill most creatures... That would be ridiculous and cause heat stroke in no time

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
This is an interesting thread. I must say, your monitor husbandry is on point. Not sure how well that will translate over to beardies, but I will be keeping an eye on this thread.

ReptileAddiction

Hatchling Member
I talk to the owner of that Savannah Monitor very often. I respect him as a keeper very much. He takes GREAT care of his animals. Taking care of herps is still "evolving." Like most people say beardies dont use height. Mine will climb and jump and will use extra height.

Floof

Juvie Member
I'm really enjoying this thread. It reminds me a lot of some of the advances in tortoise keeping lately... Like the drastic change from keeping young Sulcata/Desert/etc tortoises as dry as possible with no water sources because of the assumption that they're "desert" animals (and crucifying anyone who keeps them humid for fear of respiratory infection and the unknown), to keeping them warm and humid at all times. The difference in success with hatchlings/juveniles of these species just with the change of general husbandry is simply incredible!

I've contemplated in the past whether we keep our beardies too "dry," though I've never considered the possibility that they may be too cold, as well (though it makes sense once you think about it). Hearing the difference you've seen in your male, I may just have to try this with my beardie boy. He's been having similar behavior issues. Part of that is a parasitic infection, I'm sure (pinworms have been a big problem--love crickets.. not), but, beyond that, he's been lazy/borderline lethargic as a chronic thing through most of the time I've had him.

Incidentally, the healthiest I've ever seen him was one period in time when his night temps dropped consistently into the lower 60s, but he also had access to a higher than usual basking spot (never really thought to temp gun the very top of that basking spot, as it was just a secondary warm area to his primary, but he was able to get within something like 4" of a 60 or 75 watt incandescent). I was also living in a very humid region (coastal Washington) at that time, so I'm sure the house was also quite humid.

Hmmm. Well, I'm already working on 3 live planted vivariums (leopard tortoise, beauty snake, and a 20 gallon which will probably go to a rosy boa), what's one more? I'll most definitely be looking into this option for Man Ray, once I've finished with a couple of the other projects. I need to have a new viv built for him, anyway. I'm already brainstorming, lol.. Thinking I'll probably do less sand (more like 50/50 soil to sand by weight) and see how that goes, and find some good, heat-tolerant plants. Maybe a bushy succulent that can stand up to being climbed on? Heck, I may try this for my Schneider's skink, as well. Nothing wrong with adding a fifth project to the growing list, right? Lol!

In the mean time, I'll definitely be watching your thread to hear how your beardies do in this set up long-term.

stangbanger

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Tippy finally figured out the stacks lol... Only caught a glimpse though... He heard me coming and he ran out looking for roaches, which he ate like 10+ of... He just kept eating and eating, like a bottomless pit
IMG_20120825_143333.jpg

And roxy was out perched on her cool side branch... She had about 6 roaches and both had some greens

esn

Hatchling Member
I just offered my beardies an option to get closer to the basking lights. Tempgun says 120-130 degrees depending on how high they sit. Both my dragons have been basking in this hotter temp immediately after changing it. They're also eating more, which I like. I like the idea of giving them their own choices to get hotter than "recommended".

Do you think that higher basking temps will make it easier to digest the chitin in darkling beetle larvae (meals/supers)? I'm wondering if it is easier for them to digest that prey, considering that hotter temps allow reptiles to digest whole prey, like large mice. I'm going to do some research on that. I don't always like my adult beardie's digestion of supers, which is why I offer earthworms too if I feed supers instead of roaches. The only downside of that is the absolute rankness of earthworm-filled poo. I balance my monitor's digestion of mice and supers with earthworms as well, so that was the reasoning behind it. Any ideas on the chitin?

Skymall007

Hatchling Member
Since I am so new to beardies I can't say my opinion. I def. think it looks pretty awesome looking though and your beardies are so cute!

The one thing that comes to mind is just some of the bugs that could come in with the soil. I read that beardies can't eat fire flies and will do so because they don't have them in their native habitats. I would worry about them eating something that could potentially be harmful and the beardie won't know it because that particular invertebrate is not native to their homeland.

I keep reading about impaction problems with having sand? How do beardies deal with the sand naturally? In the wild, there is sand. Perhaps the sand is just hard packed so they don't eat it? I am confused about why sand is dangerous for them.

Floof

Juvie Member
Skymall007":2pec9vwn said:
I keep reading about impaction problems with having sand? How do beardies deal with the sand naturally? In the wild, there is sand. Perhaps the sand is just hard packed so they don't eat it? I am confused about why sand is dangerous for them.

This is exactly it. If you research their native range, you'll find the ground is generally hard packed dirt, not loose sand. There are other factors as well, I'm sure, that effect probability of impaction, but a bearded dragon in the wild isn't running around on several inches of sand like many people use in captivity.

If I decide to mimic the OP's housing method, I'll personally be using a dirt/sand mix with MUCH more dirt than sand. Dirt, at least in theory, should be much easier for them to pass if ingested, which is my reasoning behind it. I'm still very concerned about the risks of sand and other loose substrates with beardies; even a dirt mix will be a stretch for me, should I choose to go through with trying it.

I threw a 75 watt bulb over my beardie this evening to start off by boosting his basking spot temp. I'll be adjusting things tomorrow to see what kind of range in basking temps I can get. We'll see what he thinks... :)

stangbanger

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Skymall007":1lc06n81 said:
Since I am so new to beardies I can't say my opinion. I def. think it looks pretty awesome looking though and your beardies are so cute!

The one thing that comes to mind is just some of the bugs that could come in with the soil. I read that beardies can't eat fire flies and will do so because they don't have them in their native habitats. I would worry about them eating something that could potentially be harmful and the beardie won't know it because that particular invertebrate is not native to their homeland.

for the bugs - there is definitely some bugs that are not good for beardies. fireflys, lady bugs, milipiedes....all of which are native to me.

i do my best to sift through all my soil as its being added to make sure and get all these little guys out....the lady bugs and fireflys im not worried about, but i check throughly for milipedes (which i found in a bucket of soil i collected yesterday for my snake enclosure)

for my beardies, i used bagged topsoil, simply because of how much i needed to collect.....and once i put my snake in a 6x3, he will also get bagged

sifting the soil and/or buying bagged soil is a great way to prevent certain pests from showing up

for impaction - in the wild they are on a hard packed dirt surface....they live in a lowlands shrubbery type of environment.....they dont get impacted because they are in their natural habitat and are well hydrated and eating properly....beardies do a lot of things in nature that we dont provide for them often.....did you know they climb trees? there are pics posted on another forum (ill be happy to share them if you like) of wild beardies up in tall trees out at the very end of the limbs.....they also have winter brumation, as well as summer brumation. often times our captives brumate for winter, but not summer.....when it gets too dry and the humidity disappears, many aussie reptiles will retreat to moist burrows or hides (caves, bushes, holes, whatever) and brumate until the rainy season or until the humidity comes back some

the reason sand is "dangerous" IN MY OPINION is because many keepers keep their dragons in hot enclosures, with no humidity, and tons of ventilation....they are dehydrated and the particles get blocked up (im talking play sand - not that awful calcium sand stuff).....think of it this way.....go try and eat 10 saltine crackers without taking a drink of water....your mouth will be so dry you will be almost chocking at the end of those 10 crackers....take a drink and they pass right through

esn":1lc06n81 said:
I just offered my beardies an option to get closer to the basking lights. Tempgun says 120-130 degrees depending on how high they sit. Both my dragons have been basking in this hotter temp immediately after changing it. They're also eating more, which I like. I like the idea of giving them their own choices to get hotter than "recommended".

Do you think that higher basking temps will make it easier to digest the chitin in darkling beetle larvae (meals/supers)? I'm wondering if it is easier for them to digest that prey, considering that hotter temps allow reptiles to digest whole prey, like large mice. I'm going to do some research on that. I don't always like my adult beardie's digestion of supers, which is why I offer earthworms too if I feed supers instead of roaches. The only downside of that is the absolute rankness of earthworm-filled poo. I balance my monitor's digestion of mice and supers with earthworms as well, so that was the reasoning behind it. Any ideas on the chitin?

good to hear youre having success....this is how i started too, i upped my temps...i didnt jump right in and dump in soil...i was stuck in the mentality of "omg particles, bad bad bad"....but once i started to see some more changes recommended to me by a friend, i decided his way is obviously working for some things, why not try more....the difference was immediate, soon as i added a moist substrate

and yes i do....my beardies used to have a lot of leftover chitin from supers and had problems passing them...now i dont find any chitin in their stool at all (not that i go digging for it - but no big piles like before)

my beardies both ate supers dusted in calcium as their staple feeders for several months, so ive definitely seen a difference....theyre eating roaches now, and crickets once i can order some

Floof":1lc06n81 said:
Skymall007":1lc06n81 said:

This is exactly it. If you research their native range, you'll find the ground is generally hard packed dirt, not loose sand. There are other factors as well, I'm sure, that effect probability of impaction, but a bearded dragon in the wild isn't running around on several inches of sand like many people use in captivity.

If I decide to mimic the OP's housing method, I'll personally be using a dirt/sand mix with MUCH more dirt than sand. Dirt, at least in theory, should be much easier for them to pass if ingested, which is my reasoning behind it. I'm still very concerned about the risks of sand and other loose substrates with beardies; even a dirt mix will be a stretch for me, should I choose to go through with trying it.

I threw a 75 watt bulb over my beardie this evening to start off by boosting his basking spot temp. I'll be adjusting things tomorrow to see what kind of range in basking temps I can get. We'll see what he thinks... :)

those "other factors" are heat and humidity....i can go outside on a summer day in ohio and find surface temps of 130+....so in the hot australian shrublands, theres no doubt temps go that high and higher.....someone posted a pic in that leo thread of surface temps over 120 or so (forget exact temp without going to look) on a day that was 70* outside.....proper heat allows them to digest their food, and proper humidity keeps them from drying out......heat plus hydration means these guys can pass almsot anything

as for using more dirt vs more sand....i chose a mix that will allow me the proper texture for digging and moisture....dirt alone isnt a good diggable substrate, it wont hold when formed....the sand adds stability (think sand castles)....60/40 sand/dirt is a good starting point for beardies, just keep it moist.....both of my enclosures need more sand, just havent gotten around to it...im thinking ill add a bad of sand to each, and then sift it and get out the rest of the rocks and big chunks of dirt.....its on my to-do list

and i had many hesitations myself.....as did others.....it took several weeks before i convinced myself to try this method, and even then, i only did it in one of my enclosures at first, to test it out

theres anotehr forum with 2-4 other keepers who saw the changes in my dragons and are now trying this out for themselves...im not the only one....and so far, all of the dragons put through these paces, are thriving....activity is up, appetite is up, hydration and bowel movements are more requent.....its quite amazing

Skymall007

Hatchling Member
Thank you ubers guys =) I shall stick to the repti carpet.

I had no idea about the millepedes and ladybugs. I wonder what it is about these particular bugs that are so lethal.

I shall also love to see the pictures of beardies in the trees =) That is so cool to me =) Land hermit crabs also love to climb trees =)

stangbanger

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Skymall007":30mqntw4 said:
Thank you ubers guys =) I shall stick to the repti carpet.

I had no idea about the millepedes and ladybugs. I wonder what it is about these particular bugs that are so lethal.

I shall also love to see the pictures of beardies in the trees =) That is so cool to me =) Land hermit crabs also love to climb trees =)

DSCF2273.jpg

DSCF2272.jpg

img_1281.jpg

img_1294.jpg

Aus_BDTree.jpg

Ella%2Bup%2Ba%2Btree%25252C%2Bstalking%2Ba%2Bbearded%2Bdragon.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom