Status
Not open for further replies.

robbs

Beardie name(s)
Otto
Hi guys!
New beardie owner here.
So I actually just got my beardie yesterday, he's 4 months old. He was chilling on my arm today when I noticed a red moving dot on his nose, just one tho. I blew the dot (which I think was a mite?) away and emptied his enclosure (bark substrate, a piece of wood, two bowls and a fake fern). I washed everything with hot water and dish soap, no mites showed up. I also bathed my beardie in warm water for about ten minutes, and still no mites showed up. Now I put some shallow water and a few drops of dish soap in the enclosure and nothing was brought to the surface (except for some small pieces of bark that were left behind because I couldn't reach all the nooks and crannies with the paper towel). What should I do now? Am I worrying too much? Could this be a mite infestation?
Also I don't live in the US so I don't have access to Provent-A-Mite and all of those mite preventing/curing treatments.
The Beardie is now "quarantined" in his carrier (so not his "official" enclosure), which was also cleaned with hot water and dish soap and then rinsed thoroughly.
I also noticed (both yesterday and today) him scratching his body against the wall of the enclosure, and bathing (for at least 15 minutes). But I thought it was because he's shedding his skin.

P.S.: sorry for the long thread but I actually just got him yesterday and immediately grew affectionated to him, so I'm pretty worried.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
I have a 5 month beardie instead of a 4 month but I think that was the beginning and you luckily caught it before more came perhaps? My beardie hasn't gotten any mites but. I got my beardie in January so I had her for almost 2 months now. I am sort of a new owner but I already know a lot about beardies

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
If you see more of them, then just keep giving him baths and move on like normal. Usually you quarantine them for 4 days before you could hold them cuz they aren't used to you(Sometimes it is not always true)

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
It's the least you can do since you don't live in the US. I live in the US but we don't have much i dont think

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like you have it under control. Did the mite look like a clover mite or spider mite? Those shouldn't be harmful to you or your dragon. Do you see any others around the house? Maybe near windows or doors? It's possible they are just coming in from outside.

robbs

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Otto
It sounds like you have it under control. Did the mite look like a clover mite or spider mite? Those shouldn't be harmful to you or your dragon. Do you see any others around the house? Maybe near windows or doors? It's possible they are just coming in from outside.

I think it was a clover mite and no, there are none around the house. I was thinking probably it was just the substrate so I baked it and also the wood that I have in the enclosure? 🤷‍♀️

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The heat should take care of them. Keep an eye out for more, but they aren't harmful and it sounds like you've cleaned everything out pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom