Midwest Ice Storm a Threat for Beardie Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatty

Juvie Member
I live in Canton, Illinois and we are in the center of a massive ice storm. We could get up to three quarters inch of ice. Not that it's bad enough getting outside or trying to go to work. I hope we don't lose power from limbs or branches. This could be bad. What I am concerned about are my beardies and other pets if the power goes out. We have a kerosene heater and a fireplace, so I am hoping we could stay in a room and that would get us by. I am also worried about Tattys 22 eggs in the incubator. Any ideas?

Tatty :(

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Yes, please prepare yourself if you are in the path of these nasty ice storms.

I live in Oklahoma and the last two years in a row, we have been pounded by ice storms. The winter before last, my in-laws lost power for over 3 weeks!! It was terrible. Last year, Tulsa got hit and hundreds of thousands of people were without power for weeks. There are shelters that pop up, but they won't take your beardies in! Please make prior arrangements/plans, just in case! I know that I will never take freezing rain for granted. never...

Please, also, keep yourselves safe and warm. Cuddle with a beardie!!!

I'm sorry Tatty, I don't have any advice for your eggs. Bundle everyone up in a single room with the heater, but please make sure you have a proper CO2 alarm! Stay safe!

whiskersmom

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I wish you and your beardies well and warmth. And I sympathize with you...I'm in Michigan and they're forecasting 6-10" by mid day tomorrow! :dontknow:

Josh48329

I'm in Michigan too. Personally, I'm hoping for TONS of snow by 5am to cancel my final exams for the day :lol: ...but no power outages so everyones beardies stay nice and warm! :D

LQDragons

Juvie Member
the only suggestion's I have are to invest in a generator and stock up on heat packs. I bought a 20 pack of 72 hour heat packs on ebay for around $20. I know neither of these help right now, sorry. What about rice socks, heated with fireplace or heater, for your incubator. Good luck and be warm & safe

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Wal mart has small car battery type things that you can plug small items into. We have one in the shed,but I have no idea where. Wish DH was up, I'd ask what it's called. Of course they are probly all sold out by now with an approaching storm. Sending up prayers for all in your area, and our friends in the North east. Hmmm more ice storms and heavy snow, must be Global Warming. :lol:

Sandy H

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
we're in N.E. Ohio, and we're ready to hunker down if needed -- it's supposed to hit here after 2 a.m. We luckily have a fireplace... if anyone loses power, and has a GAS stove, you can use a double-boiler to warm ricepacks. (just don't get 'em wet!) You can even heat them up in a skillet if needed, it only takes a minute on low flame. Wrap beardies in a few towels with a heatpack, and they'll be content for awhile.

or fireplaces -- wrap ricepack sock in foil like you do potatoes for grilling, warm at top of flames -- but check the temps first!!! I quilt and sew, so the humans in my house already know how to dress warm and grab a blanket -- I'm more worried about the beardie! :lol:

Anyone have any idea if dubias will be ok if they get slightly chilled? A power outtage would kill our furnace (electronic ignition/blower) -- besides rice heatpacks under their bucket, not sure how to keep them warm? If they have to be transported to a relatives, would they be ok getting them from the house to a prewarmed vehicle?

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
Sandy, we have one of those -- it's a charger/inflator/compressor/etc -- ours is a DieHard Portable Power 1150 -- heavy as a car battery, but SOOOOO priceless! It ran our little portable DVD/TV unit for 4-5 hours plus ran other small things, too!

Our unit jumps the van, too if needed! :D

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
That's the gadget! Isn't it great! I bet it would run a heat light for awhile. :D It seems to do everything else except put the cat out. :lol:

Sandy H

dobiegil2000

Hatchling Member
Another idea I thought of was those battery operated sock warmers hunters use???? I think you can find them at Wal-Mart or any other place that sells hunting supplies. I already have hot packs and I am going to stock up on those. If needed I could also use my gas stove for warmth.

Hope everyone is warm and toasty!
Robin

Tatty

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Tatty reporting back everyone. Thanks for your advice. Power went out at 6:30 a.m. We have .6 inch of ice. Treees breaking power lines snapping. We have two fireplaces and a kerosene heater plus oil lamps. WE have been able to keep our finished basement up in the 70's with the fire place and heater. Upstairs is very well insulated and stayed in upper 60's. Not all of Canton was without power. The south end, where my office is located, had power. I moved the incubator with eggs up to my office and plugged it in. Checked them tonight and they are being kept at a toasty 84. I set up a little basket with a towel nest close to our screened fireplace and beardies and uromastyx are loving it. I also have 8 tanks of fish and am using battery powered aerators like for bait to keep water oxygenated. But guess what, power just came on at 9:30 p.m. Praise the Lord. I did a little happy dance for now. WE are still not out of the woods yet. The ice hasn't melted and they are predicting high winds tomorrow. We will make more preparations come morning light. If I have to, I can temporarily relocated my beardies to my private office in Canton if I need to and keep them toasty. The building I work in happens to be an emergency warming and food shelter for people without power. There are currently 42,000 without power and when everyone will have power is unknown. We are lucky because we have businesses and restaurants that share our line.

Tatty :blob5: :blob5: :blob5: :blob5: :blob5:

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
Hoping you can all stay warm & keep the power on, Tatty -- Guard those precious eggs!!!

We never lost power today, we got lucky. But we keep our doohickey charged so we have it when needed... kids know they get no tv if beardie needs lights! :lol: (the things we sacrifice!) The forecast for Ohio says 50+ mph winds Sunday -- that's usually what gets our power knocked out.

Tatty

Juvie Member
Original Poster
We are looking at very strong winds today and tomorrow, so we will take every opportunity today to make preparations. For right now, we made it through our first hurdle. Popcorn, Cooper, and Tatty are all three looking at me right now as I made a little snuggle nest for them right beside the bed. I think they know they are lucky. None of the ice melted yesterday, so Canton, Illinois looks like alien turf.

Tatty :D

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
We had a HORRBILE Ice storm last week. People have been out of power since then and some still don't have power. The whole southern area of new hampshire 250k + people have been out of power. I am incredibly I was one of the lucky FEW that didn't lose it. It was really really bad. Wish you the best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom