MBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It could be a result of a nip or past injury. There probably isn't much you can do about that but you can ensure she's getting proper nutrition and lighting now to prevent any further issues. Make sure your 18'' UVB light sits about 6'' above the highest basking point and there is no clear plastic over the bulb to intercept UVB and she should be OK. Time out in the sunlight as weather permits is always helpful as well. Wait until she's comfortable with you and is OK with handling before you try that though.

ampacheco

Original Poster
alright thanks for the advice ! I have the uvb light as close as possible to the basking spot, I'm sure she's exposed to it. The screen top I have is divided in two, so it can be opened from the front and back, so where I have the basking light , it's pretty much close to the uvb fixture. Still only a week I've had her, and her food intake seems to be up and down, more some days, less some days, idk. She atleast a eats something. I'm finding poop in her enclosure everyday, so obviously she's eating. Just isn't consistent with how much she eats, like I said

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She is a cutie pie though. Sometimes if they go through rapid growth spurts they can experience calcium deficiency due to using more than what they are taking in.
It is also possible that it could straighten out some with her continuing to grow. Maybe throw in some extra calcium here & there to ensure she is getting enough.

Tracie

ampacheco

Original Poster
Okay cool! I've been using a multi vitamin that has calcium and other good stuff, should I try using just plain calcium ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
With a T8 I'd use a calcium with D3 most days and then once or twice a week switch it with a multivitamin. If you want a good all-in-one solution I'd go with Repashy Calcium Plus which you can use daily and should take care of everything.

ampacheco

Original Poster
Sounds good ! Today I made sure she was exposed to the 10.0 uvb bulb as much as possible, and I gave her a few crickets covered with calcium /d3 .. I know I've only had her for a week, but she's a really bad eater.. She hates being in a 10 gallon tank when it's time to eat but her enclosure is too big to be chasing crickets.. I don't know what else to do so she can eat MORE!! She's definitely not skinny and well hydrated.. But 3, maybe 10 if I'm lucky is the most amount of crickets she's been eating once a day ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Try feeding in her tank but offering only a few crickets at a time. I would usually dust 3-5 crickets at a time and then let them go in the main tank. Just repeat until she loses interest. They're easier for both of you to track that way. Just remove any leftovers once she's done.

ampacheco

Original Poster
Do you think the reason why she wants to get out of the smaller feeder tank is because the temps. Aren't hot enough ? I don't heat the 10 gallon tank..

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great she is eating pretty well now. Since you haven't had her long, the kink in the tail is likely nutritional or UVB related from before you got her.
Not at all, the 10 gallon is just too small & when she is done eating, she is just ready to get out & explore or go back to bask & digest. You don't need to heat the smaller feeding tank for her.

Tracie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree, the heat in the feeding tank isn't an issue but she probably feels a bit trapped in the small space and wants out or wants to go bask. They do like to have plenty of space and to roam/explore.

ampacheco

Original Poster
Okay that all makes sense. But if I'm feeding medium crickets in a 40 gallon breeder, it may be harder for her to catch them. I do have a spare 20 gallon high, but should I look into a Steralite container for feeding ? Something not to big but not too small. I wanna make it as easy as possible to get the right amount of food without running around the whole tank and being tired out lol. She's only 8.5 inches long

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think that depends on how she hunts. If she has trouble moving about her tank to hunt, then a plastic bin may be a good idea. Something with shallow walls so she doesn't feel as closed in. Maybe put down a fleece blanket so she has some traction and can move more easily. It may take some tests with different setups to find what she's most comfortable with so keep at it. You'll eventually get a system going that works well for both of you.

ampacheco

Original Poster
Yeah good idea, I'm gonna try and throw some crickets in her actual cage where she feels more comfortable and see what happens

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How did feeding in her tank go for her? I hope she is eating well today!
Let us know how she is doing. She will probably do much better in her own tank. You could also try a large plastic bin too later on to feed.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom