Lighting issues might be harming

Rico

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rico
I have a 75 gallon enclosure. 48 L X 34 W X 17 H.

When I rescued Rico I for the enclosure and everything they had.

They only used a ReptiSun 160w heat and uv light.

Her basking spot is about 10” and she wouldn’t open her eyes. From reading here, I think the uv is too much?? So I raised the fixture and she opened her finally.
She takes the heat okay, but stopped eating greens and sleeps a lot. Eats bug though. And I dripped water on her snout today finally and she took it.

I really need help with lighting. I need to know what size heat bulb to get for basking and what to do for uv and placement.

I know there are posts here about this, they all confuse me, I have a few personal issues with that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Teresa

Rico

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rico
Do not take the reflector off- it strengthens the uvb which is good and what you want--- get it as close to the basking bulb as you can - you don't want the fixture on the wall- it needs to be placed off the wall if putting in the back
There are no holes on top. They’re blocked by plastic.

Rico

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rico

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 18

Rico

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rico
Ok so you can get some picture wire hanger from a craft store and use that -- wrap around the fixture -- its bendable - people also use long plastic zip ties -- I recommend the picture wire --
Do I put it around the ends? Think this could work. Especially since I have small holes.

Rico

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rico
Ok so you can get some picture wire hanger from a craft store and use that -- wrap around the fixture -- its bendable - people also use long plastic zip ties -- I recommend the picture wire --
She’s only about 8” from it though.

Attachments

• IMG_4254.jpeg
    IMG_4254.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 24

Rico

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rico
Well, I put the uvb up later in the day.
This morning I moved the wood around a bit and the uvb closer. It was too close to the darker side.
Once I got her up and moving she eventually moved to the top. Started flaring out - probably a little distressed?
But I bit off a bit of a blueberry and rubbed it on her nose. She kept licking it. The people said she ate all different things. Not sure if they were truthful. I put in with greens. Came down a few minutes later, ate a few greens but not that. Then I gave her another and she ate it. So there’s hope! Maybe due to the uvb stimulating hunger? Thanks for all the lighting help!
And now she’s flaring again on top.

Attachments

• IMG_4259.jpeg
    IMG_4259.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4258.jpeg
    IMG_4258.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 19

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Well, I put the uvb up later in the day.
This morning I moved the wood around a bit and the uvb closer. It was too close to the darker side.
Once I got her up and moving she eventually moved to the top. Started flaring out - probably a little distressed?
But I bit off a bit of a blueberry and rubbed it on her nose. She kept licking it. The people said she ate all different things. Not sure if they were truthful. I put in with greens. Came down a few minutes later, ate a few greens but not that. Then I gave her another and she ate it. So there’s hope! Maybe due to the uvb stimulating hunger? Thanks for all the lighting help!
And now she’s flaring again on top.
Shes more than likely stretching her beard which is normal -- and yes the UVB will stimulate the appetite also her colors will be more vivid

Rico

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rico
She’s about 6” diagonally from the uvb now on her hotspot. Maybe I need to find another lower basking spot? She ate a few bugs and tolerated me hand feeding her collard greens.

Next question … hopefully the last. What is a good hydrometer?
No clue on that. Never used one before or any type of humidity.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She’s about 6” diagonally from the uvb now on her hotspot. Maybe I need to find another lower basking spot? She ate a few bugs and tolerated me hand feeding her collard greens.

Next question … hopefully the last. What is a good hydrometer?
No clue on that. Never used one before or any type of humidity.
This is the hygrometer I am using Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer | Dubia.com you can find one similar to this - it needs to go on your back wall center of the tank -- where is she sitting under the UVB? Off to the side directly under it ? Does she have options of distance?

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom