LG ~ The Handi-Capable Bearded Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Fingers are crossed!
fingerscrossed.gif

Good luck on the new job Jason.
Thanks for the new pic's of LG he's so adorable. :)

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
That's not a bath, it's a beardie spa! If he looked any more content, he'd be asleep :lol:

Jason, good luck on getting the restaurant job.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
If anyone who regularly posts here is reading this, PLEASE PM ME RIGHT AWAY.

I have tried contacting people about this and I am getting very worried...

I'm definitely no authority, but based on your description of his behavior ("he was standing straing up and rigid with black beard and his eyes were a wierd color like red and white. They went back top normal but it looks like he is dying.") he could be stargazing. Here's a description I found:
Stargazing describes an unusual body position that is seen in some reptiles, especially snakes, which suffer from a disease or injury that inhibits the normal function of the central nervous system (i.e., the brain and spinal cord). This, in turn, causes the affected reptiles to twist their heads and necks and look upwards towards the sky. Stargazing is not a disease in and of itself, but is a symptom of other disorders, the most important of which is a viral infection of boa constrictors and pythons called inclusion body disease.

Symptoms and Types
A stargazer’s bizarre posture is certainly its most noticeable symptom, but depending on the underlying cause, other problems may also be evident, including:
* Difficulty moving
* Disorientation
* Depression
* Tremors
* Seizures
* Inability to roll off their backs and into a normal position

Causes
Stargazing behavior can be seen with any disease or condition that adversely affects a reptile’s central nervous system. Some of the most common include:
* Traumatic injuries
* Excessively high or low body temperatures
* Exposure to toxic substances
* Infections with bacteria, parasites, viruses or other microorganisms

Diagnosis
Stargazing is identified by simply observing the reptile’s body position and behavior. Diagnosing the underlying cause, however, may require blood tests, X-rays, or tissue biopsies.

Treatment
Appropriate treatment for stargazing syndrome depends on its underlying cause. If a bacterial infection is to blame, a veterinarian will prescribe a course of antibiotics. Medications such as corticosteroids can also decrease swelling an inflammation and help under certain circumstances.

Unfortunately, no effective treatment is available for inclusion body disease, a disorder causing stargazing syndrome, but with supportive care, some infected boas will live for months before succumbing to the virus.
(source: http://www.petmd.com/reptile/conditions/neurological/c_rp_stargazing_syndrome)

The tongue-sticking-out business doesn't sound good at all, but I haven't found any possible explanations for that yet. Back I go to research!

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I am totally distressed right now. The last 48 hours have been a nightmare and I didn't want all of that to spill into this thread.

LG had some kind of major attack or stroke, late Saturday early Sunday.

I had just turned his lights off and his ceramic heat emmiter on when about 10 minutes later I heard thrashing; I ran to find him shaking all over. His limbs were fully extended and he was standing as high off the ground as Ive ever seen him. His eyes were milky, I couldn't see his pupils and there seemed to be blood filling his eyes as well.

A grabbed my camera but by the time I snapped a picture he was coming out of it.

This picture and video were taken right after his attack;

P6190026.jpg

This was the next morning. I thought he was going to die during the night, and I was just glad to see he was still there. I tried to make him comfortable while I figured out what to do.

P6200032.jpg

P6200036.jpg

I gave him a semi-warm bath then set him under his basking light to warm and dry;

P6200040.jpg

P6200041.jpg

I have been offering him water much more than usual since he hasn't eaten in nearly a week.

This is the head shaking I was trying to tell everyone about. I caught this behavior by chance, because I never know when hes going to do it:

This video was taken apprx. 4 hours ago:

He almost seems to have suffered some kind of brain damage... He doesn't respond to my like he used to, and he doesn't have an interest in looking outside anymore... He just sits there very still, kind of limp...

I tried to set up a vet appointment for today but the only reptile vet around doesn't have an opening till Thursday so I booked it. I don't even have money, but I'm going to go down there and try to get him to give me a payment plan or something.

I kept this from everyone because I know a lot of children read about LG and I didn't want them to hear this part... :cry:

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
God I HATE photobucket! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Any video with subtle movements is just ruined... I finally get a video of him shaking his head but freakin photobucket cuts out half of the frames... AWESOME...

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I know Jason, it is terribly frustrating. Is he responding to you at all right now?

Vicky, Tracie and I are pm'ing about all of this. When did he last eat and what did he have?

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
For the last year I have been giving him Fluker's canned crickets because I was told they were safe.

I remember hearing that because they were steamed and all of the parasites/bacteria killed.

Now I'm hearing that those are not good and might have caused an infection?

Last thing he ate was flukers canned crickets(small size, red can), and a bit of grated carrot...

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
He is responding, but not like normal.

He normally looks around all the time, but now he doesn't move his head or his eyes nearly as much. Everything is slow and it even seems like I have to stand there for a minute or two before he notices me(maybe he doesn't even notice me...)

He is still breathing and he will take water(thats when he seems most alive, his pupils focus and he moves to get a better angle at the water syringe).

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Have you been giving him any baby food like chicken or squash? Do you have any Critical Care formula on hand?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Jason
I am so sorry to see LG this way.I know you are worried but just take a deep breath you are doing the very best right now.We have been speaking behind the scenes and I am thinking he has a definite resp infection/pneumonia or aspiration which might have caused a seizure but he is a tough little man and a fighter just like you! Is there anything that seems to make him relax a bit more? Possibly holding him even on a bit of an angle to relieve the pressure.It may help and you can even try proping him downward for drainage as well in his viv.If he appears uncomfortable then dont do it but may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anastasiacolson
Top Bottom