Lethargy and feeble attempts at eating. Vet is no help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I originally posted this as a response to another persons thread and was told to make another so the reptiles aren't confused. I'm just going to copy-paste what I typed onto here.

I'm actually having the same issue with an older beardie. I'm unsure if its gender but I know that I got him as a juvi about 7 years ago. This isn't the first time I've had this issue, something similar happened a few years and was back to normal after a visit to the vet and some steroids coupled with de-worming meds, I believe. Then he did the same thing last year, another fecal test and another round of steroids and de-worming meds.

This time he didn't fully recover. He became somewhat lethargic and didn't eat all of the crickets I left him with. For the following year I hand-fed him the crickets he didn't eat. Now it's sprung up again and this time he feebly attempts to catch a cricket then gives up. It became rare for him to eat on his own accord so I began hand-feeding everything. He is no longer the energetic beardie that tries to climb on the mesh on the lid of his enclosure. I don't see him drink water. No attempts to climb the glass of his enclosure. He just sleeps for the most part. Since he doesn't exercise or drink water I've been giving him baths three times a week. Last time I visited the vet he said he didn't know what was wrong so now I'm hesitant to go back.

So, to answer your questions:

UV light is Zoo Med Repti Sun. It's one of the longer ones. 10.0 UVB 18 Inch T8 Bulb (15 Watt)

Heat comes from a lamp with a 60 W GE pinksoft light bulb (120 V) light bulb in a flukers mini sun dome (5.5 inch dome).

Temp stays mid 80's, mid-high 90's Fahrenheit

I'm using a probe thermometer.

Crickets once a day

Spinach once a day (I give him less spinach than crickets)

If you happen to know any reputible vets I can take him to in the Plano/Plano area in the Dallas metroplex please let me know.

90704-6053538294.jpg

This is what he's like all day unless I intervene (Feed, bathe, spend time with him)

90704-4274262753.jpg

Him after being dried after todays bath.

90704-4569689124.jpg

Him hanging out after putting him back in the enclosure.

90704-4374754634.jpg

The enclosure itself. 40 Gallons.

Note: I forgot to mention in the last post that he occasionally gets a little bit of goop in his right eye. Nothing major, nothing he seems to be worried about but it is there every once in a blue moon.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
So how old is your UVB? Since it is a T8 AND sitting on top of the screen he may not be getting enough. Is there anyway you can mount it under the screen? I think the T8 needs to be at closest 6". If you had a T5 you would be fine with it on top of the screen. I can't say this is his problem though.

He also might not have the strength to get close enough to the UVB or even to bask. Clearly there is something going on with him. I would find a new vet for sure. Did he have a recent parasite check? He should be eating 80% veggies and 20% bugs at his age. Spinach is not a good staple it binds too much to calcium and then he can't absorb it. Here is a link, the ones in green are good as staples. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

It might be a good idea to get him tested for ADV too. How often are you giving him calcium and vitamins?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
tarantulahawk":21jyrrbz said:
So I originally posted this as a response to another persons thread and was told to make another so the reptiles aren't confused. I'm just going to copy-paste what I typed onto here.

I'm actually having the same issue with an older beardie. I'm unsure if its gender but I know that I got him as a juvi about 7 years ago. This isn't the first time I've had this issue, something similar happened a few years and was back to normal after a visit to the vet and some steroids coupled with de-worming meds, I believe. Then he did the same thing last year, another fecal test and another round of steroids and de-worming meds.

This time he didn't fully recover. He became somewhat lethargic and didn't eat all of the crickets I left him with. For the following year I hand-fed him the crickets he didn't eat. Now it's sprung up again and this time he feebly attempts to catch a cricket then gives up. It became rare for him to eat on his own accord so I began hand-feeding everything. He is no longer the energetic beardie that tries to climb on the mesh on the lid of his enclosure. I don't see him drink water. No attempts to climb the glass of his enclosure. He just sleeps for the most part. Since he doesn't exercise or drink water I've been giving him baths three times a week. Last time I visited the vet he said he didn't know what was wrong so now I'm hesitant to go back.

So, to answer your questions:

UV light is Zoo Med Repti Sun. It's one of the longer ones. 10.0 UVB 18 Inch T8 Bulb (15 Watt)

Heat comes from a lamp with a 60 W GE pinksoft light bulb (120 V) light bulb in a flukers mini sun dome (5.5 inch dome). <<< I recommend ditching the pink bulb ,a clear colourless par38 incandescent 80W Philips will be MUCH BETTER, or a 80W MVB will be EVEN BETTER.

Temp stays mid 80's, mid-high 90's Fahrenheit

I'm using a probe thermometer.

Crickets once a day

Spinach once a day (I give him less spinach than crickets) <<<< spinach is not a recommended green for daily feeding , better off referring to the beautifulbeardies chart, I use buk choi greens for my lizards.

If you happen to know any reputible vets I can take him to in the Plano/Plano area in the Dallas metroplex please let me know.

90704-6053538294.jpg

This is what he's like all day unless I intervene (Feed, bathe, spend time with him)

90704-4274262753.jpg

Him after being dried after todays bath.

90704-4569689124.jpg

Him hanging out after putting him back in the enclosure.

90704-4374754634.jpg

The enclosure itself. 40 Gallons. <<< what are its LENGTH , WIDTH and HEIGHT ?
Looks like a screen mesh top, this is what the UVB tube is sitting on top of, RECOMMEND you remove the mesh screen top and replace with a solid bit of plywood and mount the lights UNDER THIS lid, the mesh will be blocking over 25% of the UVA and UVB and this may be the reason why your beardie is lethargic (insufficient exposure to UVA) and not a good eater (again insufficient exposure to UVA and insufficient heat in the warm zone).
Also recommend replacing the old t8 tube and maybe upgrading to a T5 tube rated about 12%UVB.

Note: I forgot to mention in the last post that he occasionally gets a little bit of goop in his right eye. Nothing major, nothing he seems to be worried about but it is there every once in a blue moon.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
kyleena29":oudhy4m8 said:
So how old is your UVB? Since it is a T8 AND sitting on top of the screen he may not be getting enough. Is there anyway you can mount it under the screen? I think the T8 needs to be at closest 6". If you had a T5 you would be fine with it on top of the screen. I can't say this is his problem though.

He also might not have the strength to get close enough to the UVB or even to bask. Clearly there is something going on with him. I would find a new vet for sure. Did he have a recent parasite check? He should be eating 80% veggies and 20% bugs at his age. Spinach is not a good staple it binds too much to calcium and then he can't absorb it. Here is a link, the ones in green are good as staples. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

It might be a good idea to get him tested for ADV too. How often are you giving him calcium and vitamins?
I agree , remove the climbing branch, move the T8 and basking lamp UNDER THE LID. And also I don't see a hide , I think your dragon will appreciate a nice JUMBO HUBBAHUT , this can double as a basking platform.

Also - how long are the lights on each day ? I run from timers and my lights are automatically turned on at 6am, most my lizards are up and basking come brekky (8-9am) and I feed my guys at 2pm, some individual floor time, back in to bask, naps , maybe a snuggle from mom or dad after we have dinner, lights out 10pm, some of my pet lizards will usually still be up (watching TV or hoping for a snuggle) at lights out. (16 hr cycle).

If I had a lizard behaving like your's :
1) I'd replace the UV lighting with a new tube
2) I'd bump up the temps a few degrees C
3) a visit to a reptile vet to determine if there is an underlying health issue
4) and likely I'd be sent home with some http://www.aussievetproducts.com.au/products/vetafarm-herpaboost and a feeding syringe and any meds indicated.
even without a vet visit I'd get some herpaboost and start adding this to it's daily diet for a month of so.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good to see that you've made your own thread, hopefully with some help your little guy may begin to feel better. I'll resume with the questions you asked last in the other thread....the lights I mentioned can be found here : http://pet-supplies.drsfostersmith.com/search?p=R&srid=S3-USESD02&lbc=drsfostersmith&w=powersun%20mercury%20vapor&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.drsfostersmith.com%2fproduct%2fprod_display.cfm%3fpcatid%3d15466&rk=3&uid=235321838&sid=2&ts=custom&SLIPid=1487423532404&rsc=NpUXBXITHwzDZ%3azW&af=type%3aproduct&method=or&division=reptiles&cartcount=0&isort=score
Get the 100 watt

or here:
http://www.joshsfrogs.com/mega-ray-mercury-vapor-bulb-100-watt.html

These are all in one heat + uvb so you don't need any other light. The Powersun from Dr. Foster + Smith comes with the option of free shipping.

And you should start making slurries right away to get some nutrition and hydration in him. It looks like his throat is swollen ? That may be a kidney issue so try to get water + slurry in him ASAP. of course be slow + gentle with it. I wouldn't put a hide in there, being ill he may choose to stay hidden now but he needs heat + uvb.

tarantulahawk

Original Poster
Okay so I went out and bought him the 100W Salf-Ballasted Mercury vapor bulb. He should be fine with lights now. How often do I need to replace the bulb? Should I keep the other UVB lamp or should I just remove it completely? I've replaced the spinach with mustard and collard greens. How much crickets and how much greens should I be giving him?

I see some discrepency regarding light times. I would like everyone to tell me what they think is the best amount of time. My lights come on around 8 AM and shut off at 7:46 PM.

I agree , remove the climbing branch, move the T8 and basking lamp UNDER THE LID. And also I don't see a hide , I think your dragon will appreciate a nice JUMBO HUBBAHUT , this can double as a basking platform.

Also - how long are the lights on each day ? I run from timers and my lights are automatically turned on at 6am, most my lizards are up and basking come brekky (8-9am) and I feed my guys at 2pm, some individual floor time, back in to bask, naps , maybe a snuggle from mom or dad after we have dinner, lights out 10pm, some of my pet lizards will usually still be up (watching TV or hoping for a snuggle) at lights out. (16 hr cycle).

4) and likely I'd be sent home with some http://www.aussievetproducts.com.au/products/vetafarm-herpaboost and a feeding syringe and any meds indicated.
even without a vet visit I'd get some herpaboost and start adding this to it's daily diet for a month of so.

I couldn't find Herp-Boost so I bought Flukers repta-Boost. Is this an okay substitution?

AHBD":o2jaclfb said:
Good to see that you've made your own thread, hopefully with some help your little guy may begin to feel better. I'll resume with the questions you asked last in the other thread....the lights I mentioned can be found here : http://pet-supplies.drsfostersmith.com/search?p=R&srid=S3-USESD02&lbc=drsfostersmith&w=powersun%20mercury%20vapor&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.drsfostersmith.com%2fproduct%2fprod_display.cfm%3fpcatid%3d15466&rk=3&uid=235321838&sid=2&ts=custom&SLIPid=1487423532404&rsc=NpUXBXITHwzDZ%3azW&af=type%3aproduct&method=or&division=reptiles&cartcount=0&isort=score
Get the 100 watt

or here:

These are all in one heat + uvb so you don't need any other light. The Powersun from Dr. Foster + Smith comes with the option of free shipping.

And you should start making slurries right away to get some nutrition and hydration in him. It looks like his throat is swollen ? That may be a kidney issue so try to get water + slurry in him ASAP. of course be slow + gentle with it. I wouldn't put a hide in there, being ill he may choose to stay hidden now but he needs heat + uvb.

What babyfood-water ratio should I be using and how much? today I gave him 10mL (2 teaspoons) worth of approx 30% baby food and 70% water. He's always had that, even when the vet checked him out those few times. Never said anything about it. I've felt it and there's nothing solid there. Maybe he just has a big 'beard'? At what point can I introduce a hide? What should I do about the log I have in there now that I have the Powersun UV bulb?

kyleena29":o2jaclfb said:

He has not had a check-up since last year. I don't want to go back to the aforementioned vet. What resources can I use to find reputable vets in my area? Giving that he's the vet that one of my pet stores uses I thought he would be good. I dust his crickets everyday with Rep-Cal Calcium with Vit.D3. I went out and bought Herptivite with Beta Carotene. The label states it is a multi-vitamin. Is this ok?
kingofnobbys":o2jaclfb said:
tarantulahawk":o2jaclfb said:

The enclosure is ~35 inches long, ~18 Inches wide and 16 inches high

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, you got a lot done for him very quickly ! That's great that he had 10 ml of the mixture, and the ratio you made up is fine. With the Powersun bulb, usually changing once a year id fine. Did you see the warranty card in the box ? Fill it out + send it in, that way if by chance the bulb burns out you contact the company [ Zoo Med ] and they send a new one. Keep lights on for 13-14 [ max ] hours.

You will want a shorter basking log for him now, A large half log that acts as a basking + hide would be fine. If he climbs O.K and likes his old log you could put it back in but position the Powersun bulb over the lower area rather than the high spot. If he'll eat crickets, let him eat 5-6 a day at the most and offer greens every day. Mutlivitamin just 1-2 X a week, very lightly. Calcium should be without D3 now because of the new bulb, and only 3-4X a week very lightly. If he's not eating much you can put a very small pinch in the smoothie. Hopefully he'll perk up, but there's no telling exactly what his health problems are but these steps should help.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
MVB should be replaced every 9-12 months. You can keep the other light on top of the screen for added light as they like it bright. You want a ratio of 20% feeders and 80% veggies so I would give bugs 2-3 days a week and the rest of the time veggies. After he is better and starts being his old self that is.

The most common times I've heard is 12-14 daylight cycles. I do 14hrs.

Flukers should be ok.

When I give baby food I always did green beans or squash mixed with turkey or chicken. I added other supplements and I only added water if it was too thick. I let him lick it off his nose. But that's just how I do it. You can leave the log, maybe turn it in a way he can't get too close to the uvb and go ahead and put the hide in. If you feel he hides too much you can take it out.

You have the same vitamins I have now. It's good. I would just find vets in your area, call them and ask if they are pretty experienced with bearded dragons. I certainly wouldn't take him back if you're not happy with the vet.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
tarantulahawk":18ls58lr said:
Okay so I went out and bought him the 100W Salf-Ballasted Mercury vapor bulb. He should be fine with lights now. How often do I need to replace the bulb? Should I keep the other UVB lamp or should I just remove it completely? I've replaced the spinach with mustard and collard greens. How much crickets and how much greens should I be giving him?

I see some discrepency regarding light times. I would like everyone to tell me what they think is the best amount of time. My lights come on around 8 AM and shut off at 7:46 PM.

I couldn't find Herp-Boost so I bought Flukers repta-Boost. Is this an okay substitution?

AHBD":18ls58lr said:
Get the 100 watt

or here:

What babyfood-water ratio should I be using and how much? today I gave him 10mL (2 teaspoons) worth of approx 30% baby food and 70% water. He's always had that, even when the vet checked him out those few times. Never said anything about it. I've felt it and there's nothing solid there. Maybe he just has a big 'beard'? At what point can I introduce a hide? What should I do about the log I have in there now that I have the Powersun UV bulb?

kyleena29":18ls58lr said:

He has not had a check-up since last year. I don't want to go back to the aforementioned vet. What resources can I use to find reputable vets in my area? Giving that he's the vet that one of my pet stores uses I thought he would be good. I dust his crickets everyday with Rep-Cal Calcium with Vit.D3. I went out and bought Herptivite with Beta Carotene. The label states it is a multi-vitamin. Is this ok?
kingofnobbys":18ls58lr said:
tarantulahawk":18ls58lr said:

TOO SMALL for a ADULT Beardie, but he's too ill to benefit from a tanks about 4ft LONG x 2ft WIDE.

I think he'll likely benefit from a heatpad UNDER his hide (a 7W controlled by a simple digital thermostat like what I do for all my lizards will make his hide nice toasty, while he's ill, he needs constant warmth to help boost his metabolism (he'll heal faster and it'll help boost his immune system , I'd set the thermostat on the heatpad at 37-38degCelsius and run it 24/7). see viewtopic.php?f=75&t=224976&p=1746469&hilit=safe+heatpad#p1746469

tarantulahawk

Original Poster
I just remembered a couple other important details. When I say I 'hand-feed' him. I mean gently opening his mouth and placing food in there and he does the rest. I used to only have to hold the food in front of him but that produced inconsistant results. I was in an accident a few months ago and what I did to avoid having to wash my hands so much (the wrist on my dominant hand was broken, the most mundane tasks were made difficult) was wear a purple medical gloves. What i noticed is that he ALWAYS ate the crickets right out of my fingers. I'm wondering if that means something is up with his sight. Also the tip of his tail is darker and even slightly 'bent'. it's been like this for as long as I can remember. Tail rot or neigh?

AHBD":14dlk9zs said:
Wow, you got a lot done for him very quickly ! That's great that he had 10 ml of the mixture, and the ratio you made up is fine. With the Powersun bulb, usually changing once a year id fine. Did you see the warranty card in the box ? Fill it out + send it in, that way if by chance the bulb burns out you contact the company [ Zoo Med ] and they send a new one. Keep lights on for 13-14 [ max ] hours.

You will want a shorter basking log for him now, A large half log that acts as a basking + hide would be fine. If he climbs O.K and likes his old log you could put it back in but position the Powersun bulb over the lower area rather than the high spot. If he'll eat crickets, let him eat 5-6 a day at the most and offer greens every day. Mutlivitamin just 1-2 X a week, very lightly. Calcium should be without D3 now because of the new bulb, and only 3-4X a week very lightly. If he's not eating much you can put a very small pinch in the smoothie. Hopefully he'll perk up, but there's no telling exactly what his health problems are but these steps should help.

Thank you for noticing, I really want the best for my Beardie. I just filled out the card, i'm glad such an expensive bulb comes with a warranty. the most he climbs on his own anymore is the base of the log I have. I think i'll turn it around like you suggested and also get a large log that he could use as a hide. Is it imparative that I no longer use the D3 calcium or can I finish what I have? I notice you said to lightly dust them. How do you recommend I dust them? I would just dump some of it into a cricket bag then eye some crickets out and shake the bag with the crickets and calcium in it.

kyleena29":14dlk9zs said:
MVB should be replaced every 9-12 months. You can keep the other light on top of the screen for added light as they like it bright. You want a ratio of 20% feeders and 80% veggies so I would give bugs 2-3 days a week and the rest of the time veggies. After he is better and starts being his old self that is.

Flukers should be ok.

When I give baby food I always did green beans or squash mixed with turkey or chicken. I added other supplements and I only added water if it was too thick. I let him lick it off his nose. But that's just how I do it. You can leave the log, maybe turn it in a way he can't get too close to the uvb and go ahead and put the hide in. If you feel he hides too much you can take it out.

You have the same vitamins I have now. It's good. I would just find vets in your area, call them and ask if they are pretty experienced with bearded dragons. I certainly wouldn't take him back if you're not happy with the vet.

I'm still giving him crickets. Is it essential that I get turkey or chicken baby food?? How should I be feeding him now? I was doing the complete opposite and offered more crickets than greens. Until he goes back to his normal self what ratio should I be feeding him? You know, when I give him baths I always attempt to get a few drops of water on the tip of his snout to get him to drink but he doesn't do it. I'll give it a shot with the slurry but I feel like I may have to gently open his mouth and insert the tip of the feeding syringe in. Thank you for the advice regarding vets. I'll be making some calls this week.

tarantulahawk

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":38k5pu91 said:
tarantulahawk":38k5pu91 said:

AHBD":38k5pu91 said:
Get the 100 watt

or here:

kyleena29":38k5pu91 said:

kingofnobbys":38k5pu91 said:
tarantulahawk":38k5pu91 said:

TOO SMALL for a ADULT Beardie, but he's too ill to benefit from a tanks about 4ft LONG x 2ft WIDE.

I think he'll likely benefit from a heatpad UNDER his hide (a 7W controlled by a simple digital thermostat like what I do for all my lizards will make his hide nice toasty, while he's ill, he needs constant warmth to help boost his metabolism (he'll heal faster and it'll help boost his immune system , I'd set the thermostat on the heatpad at 37-38degCelsius and run it 24/7). see viewtopic.php?f=75&t=224976&p=1746469&hilit=safe+heatpad#p1746469

Thank you. What are the recommended dimensions for him? Is their a reliable brand for heating pads? Would you recommend heating pads for a healthy beardie?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
kyleena29":1adcfs08 said:

Flukers should be ok.

If he's having trouble swallowing you may have no option but to give his slurries and herpaboost type supplement by feeding syringe and crop needle see
https://www.petandgarden.com.au/hand-rearing-food/1480-vetafarm-crop-needles.html
There are video clips that demonstrate how to use a crop needle (similar for lizards but I'd get a vet or vet nurse to show you how to this safely to be sure you know how to do it for your beardie) , this way you get the food directly into the lizards stomache (BUT it's got be done gently).
These syringes are useful to give thick slurries https://www.petandgarden.com.au/bird-feeders-waterers/1525-reusable-feeding-syringes.html , the large bore hole allows easier feeding , these are designed for easy cleaning and thick slurries (Herpaboost is a thick slurry).

I don't think the Fluker's product will be good enough, your better options are
Oxbow Carnivore Care : http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=1609
VetaFarm HerpaBoost (it is available in your country) : http://vetafarm.com/products/reptiles/herpaboost/
VetaFarm Crittacare : http://vetafarm.com/products/reptiles/crittacare-reptile/
Reptoboost : http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Reptoboost.aspx

These are all formulated by practicing vets specifically for reptiles who are sick or injured, can't say the same for the Fluker's junk.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
It's getting a bit confusing with all the repeat posts. I will try to answer what you're asking. If he's still eating crickets and veggies then let him. Just do a slurry for the supplement nutrients you have. Is he having trouble swallowing at all? If he's getting veggies and/or slurry he probably won't be thirsty for water. It's hard to read back up sorry if I missed something you asked.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
tarantulahawk":2fyva85v said:
kingofnobbys":2fyva85v said:

AHBD":2fyva85v said:
Get the 100 watt

or here:

kyleena29":2fyva85v said:

kingofnobbys":2fyva85v said:

Thank you. What are the recommended dimensions for him? Is their a reliable brand for heating pads? Would you recommend heating pads for a healthy beardie?

Heat pads = look for thin black film style heat pads, avoid the self adhesive pads and those thick green things.
Something similar to https://www.reptileone.com.au/products/heating/46530

tarantulahawk

Original Poster
kyleena29":118nbpum said:
It's getting a bit confusing with all the repeat posts. I will try to answer what you're asking. If he's still eating crickets and veggies then let him. Just do a slurry for the supplement nutrients you have. Is he having trouble swallowing at all? If he's getting veggies and/or slurry he probably won't be thirsty for water. It's hard to read back up sorry if I missed something you asked.

I'll respond individually then. He will try to eat crickets but will not hunt them. They have to be placed directly in his vision or otherwise fed manually. No trouble swallowing. Just lack of enthusiasm for hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom