Kratos And Xerxes(even if he is a she)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We lost our little man on Friday OUTSIDE! I had let Kratos out of his cage because he was going stir crazy. He wanted to go outside...now that the weather has been nice I put him out in his cage everyday....however friday I just let him roam in the house because I was in a hurry. NOW I wish I would have taken the time to put him out in his cage. I didn't realize when I let him out that one of the kids opened on of the windows that I had taken the screens off to wash and hadn't put back on. The windows are only 11 inches from the floor and are his favorite basking spot in the house. I left him out while I ran errands because our living rooms where he roams are totally safe and there is nowhere for him to hide. When we came home my son started looking for him and we quickly realized that he had gotten out. We looked all over our back yard and went to the neighbors houses. I've talked to the neighbors behind us and on our court, I put an add on craigslist, and today I'm putting up flyers around the neighborhood. My fear is that a cat or hawk got him and I'm just worried sick. Those of you who have lost your beardies outside and found them, what were the temps outside, and how far from home did they get? Can you think of anything else that I should be doing?

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Just keep a close eye on it. There are different types of fungus, as you know. Dino has little black spots on some places. Looks like she got hit with the tip of a black marker. They aren't changing, so I don't know if it's something with her scales color or something else. I had the vet look at it but she didn't say what it was or wasn't. I'll ask again about it when I go back to have the stitches taken out see what she thinks. I just happen to have a pic of one...go figure! Does Xerxes spot look like this one?
DSCN1219.jpg

I hope Kratos' mood picks up again. Did you check his tank temps, maybe they're a little higher with the summer heat? House temps might be a tad higher than usual making his tank warmer? Just a thought. We have central air, but the temp is still up a couple degrees. Or maaaybe he's just gettin' spoiled rotten?! :wink: If his lights are under 6 months old, they shouldn't be a problem, but you never know I guess. They're such fussy creatures sometimes! :silent:

jewl495

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ask your vet again what that spot, is I'm curious if she says the same that I've been told before. Jazz had those same black dots throughout his body and three different vets told me they were just pigment. They never did spread so I assume they were right. Kratos has one also that he has had for months BUT he did have some sort of fungal issue in that same area. At least I believe it was fungal, could have been something else. Anyhow, thats all gone but the black spot has remained and is unchanged. :)

Xerxes is different I wish I could take a pic, but the color won't show up. His skin color has a pink tint to it where its going to shed and then where it has shed it stayed pink for a day and now its turning yellow but when he's irritated or outside it turns really dark/blackish in that spot. Its on top of his head and it didn't do that before. :? :? I need to get some betadine just in case. I will say that a couple other spots that I was worried about have lighted up but I will wait and see how they look after he sheds. I've been putting bentonite clay on them and I've given him two clay baths. His belly which I was also worried about is coming out a creamy white, so no fungus there. :blob5: I will just have to wait and see what happens. I also have to get another fecal in and see whats going with him.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
I'll def ask the vet about that spot again when we go back in in 2 weeks. It wasn't always there, but it hasn't changed since it's been at this point. She's got another one right at center of her "upper lip" in the front. Looks like the same type of thing. Maybe they're little dragon moles or age spots?! :? Dunno. Dino's arm was looking pink during her shed, I figured it was because she's got a bright orange red color on her arm normally. That's strange about that spot on top of Xerxes head, huh? It's like a "Mood Indicator"! All kidding aside, I would be keeping an eye on it too. Where on his head is it? Is it near that sensory spot in the center? Just curious, not that I know anything more about it than you do! Great news on the belly!! :blob5: I know that was an area of concern when you first got him! YAY! :blob5: I hope after you get the fecal done it comes back NORMAL! He must be so happy having you in his little life! :love5:

jewl495

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well lots going on around here but thought I'd do a quick update. Kratos is doing amazing lately! I've benign running his greens through the juicer with a blank screen so there is no extra water added to the mix and he is doing a great job eating it that way. I feed it by hand but he eats about 10 or 12 grams of mushed up veggies every morning. Since I started doing it this way he has been, well I don't know how to put it other than more alert and he has started eating a few more buggies as well. He's not really the best eater so I'm very pleased with this process. He looks like he's preparing for another big shed which I take that as a good sign, and he has put on a few extra grams as well. He is now weighing in at 584, he had been hanging in the 570 range. However Kratos is a bad bad boy....I was gone and while I was out someone forgot to close the enclosures and Kratos jumped out and attacked Xerxes. Xerxes is fine but Kratos did get a bite in or a scratch on his tail! I was pretty irritated when I got home and found that out. I guess Kratos got his jealousy out of the way because hasn't been going crazy anymore when he sees Xerxes out. He gets a black beard now but no more head bobbing.

Xerxes on the other hand isn't doing as hot...he still has diarrhea and we don't know why. Im waiting for results of another fecal to see if something else shows up. I just think he must have coccidia. I know he's not feeling well and he has been black bearding the last two days. He's still eating like a champ but he has a black beard most of the day. :cry: Poor little guy! I need to update with pics soon. He has really put on the grams and is now weighing in at 600, he was 539 when I took him in. He is still eating his greens ok(not enough for my liking) and I'm also feeding him the mushed up veggies like Kratos but he's a grump and does NOT like me to feed him that way.

I should be getting in the Lizard leads that I ordered so I will have to update with pics soon. I got matching blue and green ones...super cute!!!!

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
:shock: A fight?! Boys will be boys I guess...Xerxes clearly fought back and put Kratos in his place I guess. Maybe that's why he's not freakin' out the way he was before. Glad it didn't go too far! That could've been a total disaster! Glad to hear they're both packin on the grams! :D Gaining is a good sign! I hope the fecal comes back clean for Xerxes. Does the vet have any other ideas on what could cause the runny poo if the fecal comes back clean? Could it be the diet change? He was probably eating all sorts of wacky stuff outside, before he was found. Any idea what the woman you got him from was feeding him? Has he always had the runny ones? I can't remember... sorry for all the questions! Hope they both starting feeling better soon!!

jewl495

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I took Xerxes into the vet yesterday because he just hasn't been himself. I asked her to do blood work and look at the area that had just finished shedding because it just doesn't look right to me. Anyhow she said that his kidneys are rather enlarged :cry: and she didn't remember feeling them like that before. So she did do blood work and we should have those results back next week. I explained that the last few days to week he just has been really off, he is still eating well but his diarrhea is worse. He has had a problem with lose stools since I took him in. At first I just assumed it was from the pinworms (which he now has a 2+ count), but the only time his stools are formed now is when I give him his probiotics. She believes he has a bacteria overgrowth and gave him metronidazol for that and we are still treating the pinworms since he has the diarrhea. I really hope my poor little guy starts feeling better and that he didn't come to me with kidney failure or more serious problems. Oh and as for the area that I was concerned with...she had no clue. :banghead: His skin turns pink after a shed and then it will turn back to normal in a few days. Since it returns to his normal color we aren't doing anything yet. I'm not sure if I should push for a skin biopsy to culture or not. If it turned out to be nothing I would feel bad for putting him through that, on the other hand if its something we could catch early...sigh :roll: its always decisions decisions!

Anyhow here are a couple pics

Here is the pink skin...isn't that weird? I just don't know what to think of it.
52922131.jpg

poor little man you can just see that he doesn't feel good. I guess I'm a mean mom for making him try on his harness.
4e423f74.jpg

Kratos is ready to explore.
24e08481.jpg

He looks like he is smiling...I guess he likes his new harness. 8)
6a24142b.jpg

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Hi Julie,
I'm with you on the biopsy...I'd wait. It could just be his coloring coming through after a shed. Maybe he's got a little red in his bloodlines?? He may just darken up after his soak because he isn't feeling too hot for some reason. The bath may relax him a bit. Dino looks a little dark during the day, some stress marks showing on her chest. Meds probably making her feel yucky. Her coloring is normally patchy in some spots. At night, when she's sleeping she's so bright. :( I'm sure you know you've gotta be extra careful with Xerxes and that diarrhea and suspecgted enlarged kidneys...is he getting extra fluids? I hope he turns around soon. Poor little guy. I'm sure he's been through a lot, living outside on his own for who know how long! <\3 You're a wonderful person, taking him in, not knowing what to expect. :notworthy: How's Kratos battle wound? Healing up okay? Sending healing hugs your way for those handsome boys! Love the harnesses BTW! :wink:

jewl495

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hello again Sue :D
No Xerxes is definately not feeling well at all. Yesterday was the first time he refused food and It's so stinking hard to force feed him. I manage yo get 6ml down him the WHOLE freaking day. I do give him extra oral fluids and I'm trying to bath him for 20 min every day but I didn't bath him yesterday. He HATES his baths now and I just wanted to let him be. I can tell he feels absolutely poopy! He's a very hard sleeper and really at times seems like he's dead. Last night he fell asleep in my hands and went completely limp, which is normal but it made me feel so uneasy. I just had this horrible feeling like he's not going to pull through this. So I set up his sleeping box next to my bed and put a heating pad on to keep him warm. In the mornings I try ot sneaking in some cuddle time while I drink my coffee. Well this morning I was holding him and when I went to put him down while I poured my cup he backed up on my hand and clasped my arm, like he didn't want me to put him down. :love5: :love5: At least he enjoys when we hold him, it's the only time he lightens up, besides when he eats.

Oh and it wasn't Kratos that received a battle wound it was Xerxes. :angry5: I tell you I was a bit irritated that someone left both of their viv doors open but at least they were home to hear the fight and stop it. His wound is almost gone. He was shedding in the spot that Kratos got him so you can't really tell unless you look hard that it's there.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Awwww :love5: Dino did the exact same thing when I tried to put her back last night! Poor little things just wanna be cuddled after all the torture! Dino's actually getting pretty good at launching herself onto me from the counter when I'm putting SSD all over her. "MOOOOM, GET ME OUTTA HEEEERE!" Funny how, in spite of meds and force feeding, they still come running to us. I guess I misread the fight post...Poor Xerxes, I thought Kratos got the brunt of it! :( I sure hope he turns around soon. It's not a good feeling when they're under the weather for so long... I'm right there with ya. <3

jewl495

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I really need to update this post with pics. Its been so long since I've been on here. I've come on to check how Dino is doing but haven't made anytime to reply. Just wanted to give a quick update on the boys. Xerxes has finally recovered from his tummy infection and is eating normal again. It took him a very long time to get back to normal and I wasn't sure he was going to make it through in the beginning. Kratos seems to be chugging right along and happy. He isn't to fond of outings as much so I have stopped taking him as often when I pick up my son from school...Now that the weather is cooling down they don't go outside much anyways.

Brumation seems to be coming on both boys are retiring for bed at about 4 Pm about 2hrs before lights go out. They are still eating and basking though and I'm really hoping they don't go down for the winter. :-(

Hope everyone and their little guys are doing well. I need to do some catching up on all my favorite little guys on here.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Hi Jewls! Nice to hear from you! Dino is getting much, much better, thank Beardie Gods! Her skin is getting white and it's not raw anymore, like before. FINALLY! I'm glad to hear the boys are doing well! Dino's going to sleep a little before her lights go out now too. I hope she doesn't start to brumate. She's gotta be on this medicine until the end of December!! No sleeping for Dino!! I would have to try to keep her awake as best I could if that turns out to be the case. :| Hoping it won't be! Would love to see a new pic when you get a chance to post one...or two...or ten! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom