Kazi - RIP my special Wee monkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
MissT":eb457 said:
Sorry for posting again, but I suddenly became concerned about the critical care dosage. The vet said to mix a quarter teaspoon of the powder with 5ml of water - he said to make this mixture up 3 times per day to feed him. That makes 15 ml. Does that seem like a lot? Hes approx 700g.

Edit - its the Vetark critical care (UK) rather than the Flukers.

Thanks

T
First of all I am so happy that Kazi is doing better! :D That does seem like alot of critical care.I would just get him to eat as much as you can. You don't have to be specific with the water content as long as the mixture is "soupy".
After Jojo's surgery I was supposed to give her "Oxbow" Critical Care,3ml of it up to 3x a day, and I was only able to get her to eat 3ml for the WHOLE DAY.Her weight at the time was 716grams.
A pale colored tongue can possibly mean dehydration from what Dr Sean said. It's not dry and cracked is it?

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
beardie osk":aff98 said:
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about Kazi............I'm going through the same thing with Ollie......he's pooping but is very black and has been for a long time......Last night was the first time I noticed his eyes sucken :cry: .......enough of my problems,.............. Please know that I'm praying for you and Kazi...

((((HUGS))))
Christine,I hope Ollie gets better soon! (((hugs)))

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thanks Michelle!

Well he got one dose at the vet and I got a second into him this afternoon - he completely chewed the syringe tho and at one point it was squirting in 3 directions! I went out and bought about 10 more as the vet only gave me 2 and I didnt think to ask for more! I didnt give him his last dose of the critical care tho because he was absolutely shattered... Thursday night and Friday night he probably only had about 8 hrs sleep total, between the 2 nights so, I thought it best to let him get his rest. He went to bed with no black beard!!! :D But he didnt do his normal sleepy wriggle - I guess hes just exhausted!

I had him out sitting with me this evening and, altho he is not himself, he suddenly sat up and looked straight at me - for the first time all day he looked at me with a look of determination as if he was reminding me that he is a little fighter!! Hes been quite lethargic really all day, just sitting on his log or kind of slowly trailing himself on to his rock :( but that little spark in his eye tonight just made me feel so much better.

He also had a teeny weeny poop in his second reptoboost bath of the day... it was literally no bigger than a fingernail.. but its something which is always good. Above his eyes is still a little sunken but nowhere near as bad as last night!

Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers guys, my little man needs all the help he can get!

Thanks

T

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
I am glad that Kazi seems to be doing some better. And it sounds like he knows he is a tough determined little guy!
Come on Kazi, feel better!

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
It sure sounds like he's enjoying the critical care if he attacked the syringe :lol:
Can you tell me the ingredients? I want to see if its the same stuff I have. :wink: Awwww,that must have melted your heart when he sat up and looked right into your eyes :love5: I can relate to that!
I guess that reptoboost in the bath helps huh? I'm gonna have to check that out,maybe I can use it for Jojo.
I'm so happy to hear that he went to sleep with no black beard tonight :blob8: I think it was a good idea to just let him sleep instead of waking him up to give him more critical care.

You should edit your thread title to from 'dying" to "recovering" :blob5: :blob8: :D :D
I am so happy for you guys!!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hello There
So sorry to hear Kazi man isnt feeling well.How are his urates? Michelle was right to consider lowering the amount given as that can cause his urates to becone hard making it difficult for him to poop easily.If the urates are hard and yellowish then it could be a sign of too much calcium or an issue with his kidneys.Also make sure to up his liquid intake as well.You said you felt something in his tummy?It is possible he has a partial impaction so it might be a good idea to get him on a babyfood slurry with a few drops of olive oil and maybe a little squash or applesauce.If you decide to take him back to the vet I would consider asking him to test his kidney and liver functions.One last possibility I can think of is his good gut flora is low.Is there any meds you have given him recently that could have wiped it out?Do you have him on any probiotics?

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
puppytoes72":a0adb said:
Can you tell me the ingredients? I want to see if its the same stuff I have.

I dont have the original packaging - the vet just filled this big medicine bottle with it, sorry! We used reptoboost with him when he was little (with his sore foot!)... its an electrolyte and probiotic formula which is supposed to rehydrate and also act as an appetite stimulant so its a pretty good little mixture. Im using it for the rehydration as Kazi is still pretty dehydrated which I really do not understand - that poop on Thursday night must have really taken it out of him!

puppytoes72":a0adb said:
It sure sounds like he's enjoying the critical care if he attacked the syringe
Haha I think it was more of a 'get that thing out of my mouth!'

Vicky, we decreased his calcium intake when the problems began initially but it didnt seem to make much difference. The vet has always maintained that he is a strong, healthy lizard with no issues - hes had several fecals over the last 6 months. He was supposed to have a blood test about 4 or 5 months ago, but the vet was not able to get a sample as I decided I did not want him sedated as he was semi-brumating and he would not sit still. The vet thought the blood test unnecessary considering that at that time he was not behaving strangely and seemed to be in good health.

I have tried baby food slurries, apple sauce, apples with olive oil but nothing seems to help him anymore. The vet said yesterday that he did not feel anything that would indicate an impaction but said he might have a little more in there to pass - he thinks what I can feel is a little swelling from passing that poop (a bit like Jojo's swollen tummy) which he thinks was causing the discomfort. Hes on critical care now which will hopefully help to regulate things and if he doesnt poop in the next few days I am to take him straight back in to the vet and they will do x-rays and blood work.

Hes never been on any medication but I have been giving him a little teaspoon of soy yoghurt about once a week. Il try and get some avipro this week and perhaps give him that instead!

Thanks again guys!

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Here is the Oxbow Critical Care ingedients
http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/vets/products/critical_care
It's a natural herbivore diet with a very high calcium content,so you don't want to add any other calcium into his diet right now while you are giving this to him :D
I couldnt find the ingredients on Vertek brand that you use but I assume it's the same ingredients. :D

I checked for reptoboost but I think it's only available in the UK? I found this article you might want to read :D
http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Critical-Care-Formula-or-Reptoboost_1.aspx?pageid=236

PS: I thought he chewed up the syringe because he liked the stuff so much,I guess I was wrong :lol:
He won't lick it willingly?

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Well I think he is getting used to the syringe idea now. He was rather good today and took 3mls this morning. He then took about 4 this afternoon altho he chewed so hard on the syringe that it almost broke off in his mouth - I had to stop halfway through to pull the end off the syringe as I didnt want to add to his problems!! I do think he was enjoying it today tho.... and, to top it off, he just ate a little piece of salad, it was only about the size of a fingernail but its something!! He has also not blackbearded all day and his tail has remained normal - and just as I am typing this, a black beard has appeared!

Thanks for that article, michelle, im going to check it out now. I wonder what the equivelent of reptoboost is over there tho?

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Did you see this, Michelle? http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Critical-Care.aspx?pageid=229
The oxbow must not contain the protein that the vetark does.

Hmmm... I just read this and it has made me quite concerned!

However 1 scoop per 500g -2kg of animal is in line with current recommendations, dilution should be 1 in 3 or greater. Administering CCF to reptiles every 4-5 days is generally sufficient, extra fluids can be given with AVIPRO or REPTOBOOST.

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
MissT":0f555 said:
Did you see this, Michelle? http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Critical-Care.aspx?pageid=229
The oxbow must not contain the protein that the vetark does.

Hmmm... I just read this and it has made me quite concerned!

However 1 scoop per 500g -2kg of animal is in line with current recommendations, dilution should be 1 in 3 or greater. Administering CCF to reptiles every 4-5 days is generally sufficient, extra fluids can be given with AVIPRO or REPTOBOOST.
Yes,the Oxbrow is a herbivore diet only,they gave me something seperate for protein (Hills diet) but I didnt have to use the protein stuff because she ended up eating crickets 2 days later.

Like I said,you shouldnt be too concerned with the dosage of CCF because it doesnt contain medicine so there is no fear of overdosing,but you don't want to "stuff" him either :wink:

That is awesome that he is enjoying more and he ate a bite of salad :blob5: Im sorry his black beard is back though :( Its getting late over there now though,maybe he is just tired?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Miss T
Can you post a picture of him so we can see how he looks? Visual aids can sometimes tell 1000 words and I/we will be able to tell a little better how serious of a shape he is in.You may want to consider stopping the AVIPRO or REPTOBOOST for a little bit and just sticking with the slurry,it may not be agreeing with him.Get him some pedialyte for his electrolytes and some benebac or acidophilliz for the probiotic.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey Vicky, I havent got a pic for now but I will try to get one of him tomoro - there is no memory left on my camera and i cant seem to get a memory card!!

By slurry do you mean the critical care?? He seems to be enjoying it much better now and I did see much improvement in him today. The reptoboost is an electrolyte/probiotic formula - do you think I should stop that - it does seem to have rehydrated him a little already and he even had a very small poop in the bath- I cant get pedialyte over here but I may be able to get some dioralyte if you think I should use that to replace the reptoboost?

Avipro is one of the only probiotics I have access to - acidophiliz and benebac dont seem to be available on the UK market.

puppytoes72":5a67d said:
Like I said,you shouldnt be too concerned with the dosage of CCF because it doesnt contain medicine so there is no fear of overdosing,but you don't want to "stuff" him either

That is awesome that he is enjoying more and he ate a bite of salad Im sorry his black beard is back though Its getting late over there now though,maybe he is just tired?

It was late - his little downturn happened about an hour or so before bed time but it didnt last more than a half hour.... he even started moving around the viv this evening - I think he was looking for somewhere to sleep but any movement is good. He even splashed about in the bath!! He was a lot more alert today as well - constantly looking around to see what everyone was doing and responding to voices- a lot more like himself! Hes asleep now - sometimes he seems a little bloated - like hes puffing himself up temporariily but then next time I check, hes not - perhaps he is a little full! He had about 8ml of ccf today so I guess that is quite a bit!

Even tho he seems to be getting better, I still hate the night time!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing today? The 8ml's of critical care is a good amount. How are his fat pads looking, any improvements on them yet?
The electrolyte & probiotic mixture can continue to be given with the critical care, that should help as well. Avipro is perfectly fine for the probiotic, no problem.

Keep us posted on him!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom